AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 01-31-2012, 11:54 PM

A "mute master?"

Yes, I currently own the 380S and have for quite a while (it actually started life as a No. 38 which I had updated directly to a 380S; I loved Madrigal's update policies.)

I switch inputs quite a bit day to day, so I do in fact listen to the features as my tuner and other audio sources vary quite a bit in volume, and it's really nice to be able to volume match them in the preamp (the gain controls on the 27 come close) but also to have the preamp automatically set the volume at background level when switching to the tuner. (Note I said nice, not mandatory.)

I'm more concerned with the loss of soundstage through the 27; perhaps it's because my No. 380S has, aside from power failures, been on 24x7 for around 14 years now, so I think it's well broken-in.

I don't recall the gain level for the CD input, but I'm using the balanced ins and I have the volume level around 50.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
The KX-R really is an incredible preamp and a must audition! There is so much resolution and so much life coming out of the KX-R... It has a sparkle to it and it simply breathes with air. I even had a nick name for it and called it the "illuminator". Seriously, this preamp is capable of spotlighting the whole soundstage and dig deep into the dark pockets of the recording and bring it all to life without any negatives that may be usually associated with this type of transparency and incredible resolution. Don't buy anything until you listen to it.
Wow.

Given that legacy, what's the preamp driving your system today?

I'm drooling at the thought of three Momentum amps alone…
Old 02-01-2012, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Wow.

Given that legacy, what's the preamp driving your system today?

I'm drooling at the thought of three Momentum amps alone…
Bill, right now a Krell S1200 pre-pro, until I figure out an upgrade path that makes sense in a theater/2 channel environment. Fortunately the Krell S1200 is one hell of a preamp with Class A circuitry that is pure with no signal degrading op-amps in the path of the "preamp" mode.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:57 AM

Just to characterize what I mean by "smearing" a bit more, I tried a little experiment.

Compared to when run through the 27, when I directly connected the Wadia to the amp, the most immediate effect was if the speakers suddenly moved about two feet further apart. Greater stereo separation, greater depth, a greater sense of detail yet more musicality, and much deeper bass. Without the comparison, the 27 sounded very good, but it was only when I connected the CD player directly that I could tell how much the 27 was throwing away or otherwise modifying. As I mentioned previously, my current 380S does a bit of that, but not to the degree the 27 does - BTW, it's at 310 hours right now.

Worse, and this has nothing to do with break-in but with its design - I have a tuner connected that I need to use the "low" gain setting for to avoid having to set the volume at "1." Unfortunately, when I have the PROC mode engaged (unity gain), when there are silent portions of the movie I'm watching (I have the front channels of a surround processor connected to the PROC inputs) I can pretty clearly hear the tuner. :-(

This isn't a problem with preamps like the 380S that short any inputs not in use.

(Anyone know off-hand if the KX-R does that?

Though the KX-R may be the best preamp I can't buy; I left messages for two dealers and with Ayre Tuesday morning, and no one called me back.

That type of thing is far too common IMHO; it also happened about five years ago when I was in the market for a new sub, when no JL Audio dealer in my area was willing to let me demo a Fathom F113 unless I bought a complete new home theater system from them, so I ultimately went with a Velodyne DD-18 I'm still thrilled with.)

Last edited by BillK; 02-01-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:48 AM

[QUOTE=BillK;262156]

That type of thing is far too common IMHO; it also happened about five years ago when I was in the market for a new sub, when no JL Audio dealer in my area was willing to let me demo a Fathom F113 unless I bought a complete new home theater system from them, so I ultimately went with a Velodyne DD-18 I'm still thrilled with.)[/QUOTE

Sounds like a sharp bunch - the dealers in your area- where do you live?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:48 AM

Having owned an ML1,6,6A,7,26,26S,38,380S,32 I think I can speak to their sonics.

Mute master = dark, wooly, slow, no dynamics, poor layering of sound field. And that, to me, describes perfectly the 38, 380S.

I have not heard the KX-R. I can tell you that people in the industry I trust say it is one of the best preamps they have heard.

If the sound field on the LS27 isn't more dimensional and defined than the 380S, I think you need to look elsewhere in your system. Based on how long you have had the Levinson, I'd venture to say their might be pieces of your system that have seen great advances in sonics. Cables especially.

Another thing to consider. You are very used to the 380S. 14 years worth! Sometimes it takes a lot longer to appreciate a new component in your system. Trust me, the 380S isn't very good now.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g997 View Post
Another thing to consider. You are very used to the 380S. 14 years worth! Sometimes it takes a lot longer to appreciate a new component in your system. Trust me, the 380S isn't very good now.
I may be used to the 380S, but when comparing the sonics of the Wadia directly into the amp compared to the 380S and the 27, the 27 alters the sound (and not in a good way) much more than the 380S does, which is what surprised me.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
I may be used to the 380S, but when comparing the sonics of the Wadia directly into the amp compared to the 380S and the 27, the 27 alters the sound (and not in a good way) much more than the 380S does, which is what surprised me.
Not sure which Wadia your talking about but maybe I can shed some light on this
I have had an 861 and 861 SE. It seems to be around the same time as the 380S. They were VERY similar in my systems. (The 861's definitely sounded better used as a preamp). Kinda like they were designed using the same technology. I can also tell you both companies were very slow to evolve their products. Putting the Wadia into the 380S probably doesn't change much since they are of similar "cloth".
Something to consider.....