AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 11-23-2018, 09:52 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado
Default McIntosh MS500 Music Streamer Review

Conclusion

I'm fond of saying everyone has his/her speciality. I look at a turntable like it's a rocket surgery project, but give me the most convoluted digital product and it'll be right in my wheelhouse. These specialities hold true for audio companies as well. McIntosh has always nailed the analog side of HiFi. The company also offers a great D1100 DAC that I reviewed and placed on the C.A.S.H. List earlier this year. However when it comes to a complete digital platform capable of streaming, integrating with Crestron, and building iOS/Android apps, etc... McIntosh has elected to outsource this specialty. I don't blame them, it's difficult work. The MS500 has Autonomic technology where it counts and McIntosh design and DNA where it counts.

I must also note that it's impossible not to enjoy the beautiful design of the McIntosh MS500. It's black glass, glorious green illuminated logo, distinctive red power button, and classy aluminum end caps are legendary and look even better in person.

The MS500 is a great product for the music lover who isn't obsessed with technical details and just wants to listen to his/her music in high quality. This music may be internet radio at 64 kbps or high resolution audio from the local SSD. I'm guilty of enjoying a very sonically limited stream of my local Jazz station equally as much as I enjoyed the high resolution Pearl Jam albums copied to the MS500's local drive via the included music synchronization app. The MS500 handles both sources equally as well. It will reproduce one's favorite music from less than perfect sources better than most people have ever heard.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/c...r-review-r752/
Old 11-24-2018, 08:21 AM

I am a Mcintosh enthusiast , have owned a MS750 in the past. The MS500 however is not something I would recommend. I think a Aurender N100H is a better option.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:11 AM

Have you heard the MS500?
Old 11-24-2018, 03:28 PM

Looking at the internal pictures, the McIntosh built Dac board is identical to the one in MB100. Motherboards are different. It also likely uses the new Autonomic operating system. Hardware wise, I would say MB100 is vastly more powerful. They should sound identical since the same analog section.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
Have you heard the MS500?
For the price of the MS500 there are better options, you could buy a Esoteric N05 which has a excellent DAC as well which is bit perfect.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
For the price of the MS500 there are better options, you could buy a Esoteric N05 which has a excellent DAC as well which is bit perfect.

But I already have a great DAC. D1100. The Computer Audiophile is a tough grader. He doesn't pull any punched I'm using a Lumin U1 which is fantastic, and I don't plan to buy the MS500. But even though some of Mcintosh streamer devices have had problems with connectivity I've yet to read a review that says they sound bad. The MB50 has gotten great reviews on sound quality, but he rips the DTS PlayFi.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/c...-design-flaws/
Old 11-25-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
But I already have a great DAC. D1100. The Computer Audiophile is a tough grader. He doesn't pull any punched I'm using a Lumin U1 which is fantastic, and I don't plan to buy the MS500. But even though some of Mcintosh streamer devices have had problems with connectivity I've yet to read a review that says they sound bad. The MB50 has gotten great reviews on sound quality, but he rips the DTS PlayFi.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/c...-design-flaws/
I would call CA fair, not tough. Why would you drop $6,000 on a streamer that does not provide bit perfect data? As others have noted, digital is just not McIntosh's bag. Any decent hifi store is bound to offer you several better solutions.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:11 AM

It's nice to see a review finally come in. Most reviews are simply press releases copy/pasted from the manufacturer to generate buzz.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
I would call CA fair, not tough. Why would you drop $6,000 on a streamer that does not provide bit perfect data? As others have noted, digital is just not McIntosh's bag. Any decent hifi store is bound to offer you several better solutions.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
Not trying to start an argument, but what exactly does bit perfect data do for you if a device can't accurately convert and transmit that data to the end user? I've tried a number of streamers ranging in price from $500 to $6k and have found surprising results when it comes to overall sonic performance. Some of the most highly spec'd items didn't make the final cut. It proves that there is much more to digital music streamers than just a so-called state of the art DAC and glitzy user interface.