AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 10-02-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydelee21 View Post
Fantastic S1Chen,

I am seriously starting to think about auditioning the QSub.

When you say QSub may change your thinking...do you mean it might also change your thinking about whether or not you need 2 subs or only 1? At this cost...I hope 1 is enough!
One is enough. The reason most people believe of 2 is to make that stereo so that you dont hear the bass coming from one direction, be it centre, left or right. What I suspect is that those sub maybe colour due to the box resonate that you can also heard the box sound and pipe sound (the bass reflex). However. the Qsub IMO is low in resonate and so when you place one in the centre or anywhere, you will not heard where it come from.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:29 PM

great stuff...thank you!!
Old 10-07-2014, 04:57 PM

I think the Qsubs are such an excellent addition to the Magico line. Really congrats on your purchase. Did you get 1 or 2? I achieved excellent results with my Krell MRS in mono. I'm sure the Qsub15 greatly surpasses it. Again what a great addition to the Magico line. I will be anxious to see if Q5 owners jump on a Q15. Seems ideal to achieve even more (or at least as much) dynamic range in the bass than a Q7. I can't imagine what dual Q18's and the Q7 would sound like.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I can't imagine what dual Q18's and the Q7 would sound like.
In a two channel audio system? Why would you go for the 18s over the 15s?
Old 10-08-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
I think the Qsubs are such an excellent addition to the Magico line. Really congrats on your purchase. Did you get 1 or 2?
I only got one Sub
Old 10-08-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I think the Qsubs are such an excellent addition to the Magico line. Really congrats on your purchase. Did you get 1 or 2? I achieved excellent results with my Krell MRS in mono. I'm sure the Qsub15 greatly surpasses it. Again what a great addition to the Magico line. I will be anxious to see if Q5 owners jump on a Q15. Seems ideal to achieve even more (or at least as much) dynamic range in the bass than a Q7. I can't imagine what dual Q18's and the Q7 would sound like.
Interesting...the Krell Master Ref Sub certainly seems like a similar design to the QSubs...dual 15" cones, firing in opposing directions to cancel vibration and set in a 3" thick aluminium casing with a very sophisticated crossover...and basically a Krell FPB650 amp to drive it. Also 400lbs or something?

Why do you feel that the Q15 ought to greatly surpass it? Just curious...I nearly got a 2nd hand Krell MRS but honestly was concerned about age of the amp and finding out I have very expensive (and very HEAVY!) repairs, shipping, etc.

I am certainly intrigued by the QSub15. Thanks for any insight.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:25 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1chen View Post
One is enough. The reason most people believe of 2 is to make that stereo so that you dont hear the bass coming from one direction, be it centre, left or right. What I suspect is that those sub maybe colour due to the box resonate that you can also heard the box sound and pipe sound (the bass reflex). However. the Qsub IMO is low in resonate and so when you place one in the centre or anywhere, you will not heard where it come from.
I have to disagree with much that is stated directly, or implied indirectly, in this statement about subs in general. However, so as not to derail this thread, I will leave it that there is a subwoofer forum and several threads on so-called "stereo" subs that may provide a contrasting point of view.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Interesting...the Krell Master Ref Sub certainly seems like a similar design to the QSubs...dual 15" cones, firing in opposing directions to cancel vibration and set in a 3" thick aluminium casing with a very sophisticated crossover...and basically a Krell FPB650 amp to drive it. Also 400lbs or something?

Why do you feel that the Q15 ought to greatly surpass it? Just curious...I nearly got a 2nd hand Krell MRS but honestly was concerned about age of the amp and finding out I have very expensive (and very HEAVY!) repairs, shipping, etc.

Better, custom made drivers for the Qsub. Qsub15 uses the same bass driver developed for the bass of Magico Ultimate. And DSPs have progressed a lot since the Krell, you can get better tuning of the sub in room, which is key.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:

I owned an MRS for about 6 years. The Krell MRS just didn't have the output I thought it should have at the very lowest frequencies but the quality of the bass was superb. I'm a bass freak so I have a lot of low frequency material that is probably not fair to challenge any sub with but there were other discs that it also failed me on that it really should have done a better job. I used a dedicated 20 amp line. As far a Q15 vs. Q18 with a Q7 in a no holds barred system I go with the larger sub. I will say this, I suspect these Magico subs will have superb ability to pick up very low level sustained subsonic bass notes, bass that you can feel but barely hear that is in the background while other music is playing. There is something about acoustic suspension bass at the very low frequencies that a port simply can't match. Again, if I were a Magico owner, I could not be more pleased with the addition of these subs. Every Magico owner ought to consider a purchase.

Last edited by Charles; 10-09-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
Better, custom made drivers for the Qsub. Qsub15 uses the same bass driver developed for the bass of Magico Ultimate. And DSPs have progressed a lot since the Krell, you can get better tuning of the sub in room, which is key.
That makes sense...thanks