AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 06-26-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcvibe View Post
Thanks for your comments. The reason I am making an assumption about Alexia not needing the sub and Magico needing it is because in Stereophile Recommended components they list Magico Q5 as Class A but limited in the lowest frequency (I assume Q3 would have less bass than Q5). Alexia and G1 were listed as Class A full range without limitation in low frequency. However, I have an open mind and agree that Magico's drivers appear to be of better quality. I guess I'll find out this weekend. Thanks for your opinion. I still think Wilson makes a good overall product.
One has to ask Mike Fremer for that idea of restricted bass. Is it lack of visceral punch as he suggested or lack of distortion? Is it that he got used to a bass hump which he considers as good bass/visceral punch?
Old 06-26-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your comments. The reason I am making an assumption about Alexia not needing the sub and Magico needing it is because in Stereophile Recommended components they list Magico Q5 as Class A but limited in the lowest frequency (I assume Q3 would have less bass than Q5). Alexia and G1 were listed as Class A full range without limitation in low frequency. However, I have an open mind and agree that Magico's drivers appear to be of better quality. I guess I'll find out this weekend. Thanks for your opinion. I still think Wilson makes a good overall product.
Just a data point: my Q3 has more bass than all the of Wilson Audio speakers I've ever heard in my life, and that includes an XLF.

So no, the Q3 doesn't lack any bass. At all.

And as jazzman put it, it's not only the quantity, it's the quality and speed that a superior driver/cabinet speaker can deliver.

From your speaker shortlist, my picks would be the Magico and the Rockport, and perhaps add a YG to the mix.

alexandre
Old 06-26-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
Just a data point: my Q3 has more bass than all the of Wilson Audio speakers I've ever heard in my life, and that includes an XLF.
Not really surprised.... Just have a look at the measurements in Stereophile, Hifi news, etc of the Maxx, XLF, etc
XLF for example shows a low frequency limit of 50Hz (hi-fi news measurement). I myself measured the XLF in the custom designed room of a friend, with bass cutting below 60Hz! but some people still believe it has a lot of bass because of the typical Wilson bass hump.

Having a look at the rest of the measurements.... check Atkinson analysis of the XLF frequency response linearity: suck out in the 2-3k range, which hints they even don't know how to design properly a crossover.
Take a Revel Salon at one tenth of the price, it would perform and measure better....
Not even talking about any Magico, Rockport, TAD, Vivid....
Old 06-26-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiufy View Post

So no, the Q3 doesn't lack any bass. At all.

And as jazzman put it, it's not only the quantity, it's the quality and speed that a superior driver/cabinet speaker can deliver.

From your speaker shortlist, my picks would be the Magico and the Rockport, and perhaps add a YG to the mix.

alexandre
I am keeping an open mind.... will see. Have you heard the vivid audio products?
Old 06-26-2014, 10:35 PM

When I moved from Sasha to S5, there were improvements across most sonic attributes. However, the area that impressed me most was the bass which to me is better defined, has richer tonal texture, and integrates with the upper range more coherently, not to mention faster bass transients and lack of overhang. It is most enjoyable listening to bass rich material. The sealed enclosure also seem to make it easier to place. Martin Colloms described the bass of the S5 quite accurately in his review:

http://www.absolutesounds.com/pdf/ma...20_OCT-DEC.pdf
Old 06-27-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I am keeping an open mind.... will see. Have you heard the vivid audio products?
That's the right attitude!

As for the Vivid speakers, I've heard them a few times now, but always in show conditions. Paired with Luxman, they were good, but not impressive. With the Mola Mola class D amps they had a sterile sound that I didn't appreciate, even with vinyl. And the bass was way, way too thick for my liking.

alexandre
Old 06-28-2014, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPandy View Post
I hear that the Torus sub and Magico mate well together...
Andy, once again you have your finger on the pulse. Magico bass is quite fast & articulate, as is most sealed enclosure type speakers, hence the nature of the design characteristics. Since hearing & experiencing the Wilson Benesch Torus Infrasonic Generators, I now have 2 coming within the next fortnight. These are way faster/more articulate than most subs I've heard, admittedly I haven't heard all of them but they are rated as some of the most accurate & fastest!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number95 View Post
One has to ask Mike Fremer for that idea of restricted bass. Is it lack of visceral punch as he suggested or lack of distortion? Is it that he got used to a bass hump which he considers as good bass/visceral punch?
Another very plausible question would be what colour he was feeling on the day. Trust your ears, not theirs!