AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-04-2019, 07:15 AM

I was once told that strapping a 275 looses the sweetness in sound.

Instead, using one amp for right and one for left:

run two pairs of wires for each channel; use one channel for the mid/upper frequencies and one for the low frequencies. I think the amps would then need to be set to "mono."

The Legacy Focus SE pairs well with the 275.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbites View Post
My sonus Faber is nominally 6 ohms. I noticed that on the Mc275 the speakers are louder on 8 but hotter, on the other hand it is softer but runs cooler on the 4 ohm tap .... or it’s the other way around.. point is there’s a difference. It’s sitting on 8ohm taps now.
the same happens to me. I have JBL 4312SE 6 ohms and with 8 sound more but on 4 ohms have better bass
Old 05-10-2019, 07:59 PM

Default MC275 club

Are you equalizing the volume between the two? The 8 ohm tap will always sound louder than the 4 ohm one so you have to adjust the level accordingly. That doesn’t make the 8 ohm tap better.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 05-10-2019, 11:09 PM

i take my tester and jbl 4312se (manual say 6 ohms) and tester: 7.3 ohms 2 speakers (close to 8ohms).

mid and high freq sound much better now connected into 8 ohms 275.

its normal the transformer behind v11 (right) run hotter (95F on the side) than the others?

Last edited by mati1979; 05-11-2019 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-29-2020, 12:59 PM

Default 1 or 2???

Hi, gang. 'New to this forum and I'm really enjoying reading all the posts from some knowledgable and experienced kindred spirits! So I am getting exquisite sound from my C2300 (Mullard NOS tubes in line stage) + single MC275 VI setup (EAT KT88s and Mullard NOS in the 12AXs and 12ATs) + Modwright PH150 tube phone pre-amp (Telefunken NOS E88) + Rega P10 with Aphelion cartridge - into Tannoy Kensington GR speakers (93db sensitivity).

Honestly, because of the sensitivity of these speakers, I'm not lacking for "headroom". That said, I'm afflicted by the unending upgrade bug like everyone else and really wondering whether I should get a second MC275. Steve with Audio Classics (he seems to know McIntosh!) tells me he doesn't think I would gain much given my set up, but encouraged me to bi-amp if I do go with a second (rather than mono-block). I would appreciate any other thoughts or feedback from fellow McIntosh addicts!
Old 08-29-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueBull View Post
Hi, gang. 'New to this forum and I'm really enjoying reading all the posts from some knowledgable and experienced kindred spirits! So I am getting exquisite sound from my C2300 (Mullard NOS tubes in line stage) + single MC275 VI setup (EAT KT88s and Mullard NOS in the 12AXs and 12ATs) + Modwright PH150 tube phone pre-amp (Telefunken NOS E88) + Rega P10 with Aphelion cartridge - into Tannoy Kensington GR speakers (93db sensitivity).

Honestly, because of the sensitivity of these speakers, I'm not lacking for "headroom". That said, I'm afflicted by the unending upgrade bug like everyone else and really wondering whether I should get a second MC275. Steve with Audio Classics (he seems to know McIntosh!) tells me he doesn't think I would gain much given my set up, but encouraged me to bi-amp if I do go with a second (rather than mono-block). I would appreciate any other thoughts or feedback from fellow McIntosh addicts!

Welcome to the forum!
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 08-29-2020, 03:49 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:

How would one bi-amp with two MC275MkVI amps?
Old 08-29-2020, 08:55 PM
Retired

TorqueBull - Having had one and then a pair of MC275s, I would get a pair of the reissue MC75s. I found one MC275 to be better to my ears than two, but the MC75s were better yet. Am sure you will figure it out.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 08-29-2020, 09:30 PM

I’m hoping MC75 make a comeback so new ones can be picked up. Or MC150 monos?
Old 08-29-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:

TB-

First of all, welcome and second... The folks at Audio Classics are first class! No up-sale BS from them. And... most probably one of the largest McIntosh dealers most any-where; any-way. OK I've been a customer for several years so take it with a grain of salt.

I mentioned a few posts up that running two 275's as mono and then using the right and left channels of each amp to power the woofers and mid/highs respectively is the best solution... Rather than strap each amp together as 150 watts for each speaker. While I haven't tried this myself, it was presented as the best method of running two 275's by a gentleman at AC that has this set-up. He did mention as Steve said, not a huge difference. Of course, if your speakers do not have the option of separating it's a moot point.

A pair of Mc 75's is a different. There is a distinct difference between them and a 275. Some folks consider a pair of 75's superior to a pair of 275's. Having not done that comparison, can't comment. I did consider trading the 275 for another pair of 75's for the bottom end but A/C felt upgrading to an 1100 pre amp (from 2500) was a better move. Having tired switching the the 75's and 275, the bass is a bit tighter but not enough to warrant a trade. Moving to the 1100 was another story however. More importantly, the 75 mono blocks are no longer available so it too is a moot point.

You have a great system; enjoy it and beware the upgrade bug. That said, didn't see any mention of digital. Might you consider a DAC, plugging in a laptop and giving it a whirl?