AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Japanese Exotica

Japanese Exotica Kondo, Leben, Luxman, Zanden

Old 02-22-2018, 01:36 PM

Default Luxman L-590AX Mark II

Anybody who owns the Luxman L-590AX Mark II might review it here? What did you have before? What did you compare it with? What strengths and what weaknesses does this amp have? In what system did you hear it?

P.S. I'm only interested in this model!
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Last edited by johndoe21ro; 06-04-2019 at 04:10 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:58 PM

Extremely satisfied with my L-590AX Mark II.

Very vivid, colorful, smooth and musical integrated. Judging by the depth, layering and separation of instruments as well as very palpable and focused images it allows my Harbeth speakers to recreated across a broad and deep soundstage, there are very few if any compromises in this integrated amp's design. Major strengths are the smooth and musical Class A sound that is never grainy or harsh, has plenty of overhead reserves for crisp dynamic transient recreation, often with startling impact and drive.

This is not just a 30/60w Class A but has been laboratory tested to put out 180w into 4 ohms and protection shutdown kicking in at 300w into 2 ohms... Much more than the power handling rating of my Harbeth 30.2 for example. The power supply is very robust in this integrated with rather large capacitive reserve for the blur-free and sag-free dynamic swings and transient response.

This integrated feels and sounds much more dynamic than the specs would suggest. I don't think I ever actually get out of Class A mode in typical listening sessions but the few times I let it stretch its legs, I could hear no hardening of tone or any grain showing through. In fact the Harbeth speakers absolutely shined at the levels above my typical listening habits and the L-590 had absolute control over them with the VU meters happily bouncing to the beat of the drums.

The way this integrated draws me into music is on par with the very best separates I have owned and is in fact better than some I have owned in in similar price range in overall smoothness, tonal color saturation, spot on timbre and engaging presentation.

The features harking back to the 1970's with the tone controls and their complete bypass, A,B,A+B speaker selection, loudness compensation, monitoring, the very generous input and output section for future expendability, the "separates" mode so it can be used as a preamp or an amp should the situation warrant it, MM/MC phono-stage, all of which may or may not be used often but it is great to have them none the less since they do not get in the way or cause a sonic penalty.

I'm not going to list the previous amps I have owned as it is rather pointless to compare but let's just say this is not my most expensive unit I have owned and it does not leave me wanting. It is a purchase I am thrilled with. Absolute bargain I would say considering all the features and the sonic performance. Love it.

Last edited by PHC1; 02-22-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:57 PM

Hope to purchase this amp sometime later this year.
I have a Graham Audio LS 5/9 that need a better amplifier.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:08 PM

Serge,

You certainly have a way with words. Very articulate description of what is probably the best value in integrated amps on the planet.

My personal knowledge only relates to this amp’s predecessor, the L590AX, which I very much regret selling. From what I have been told by those in the know, the Mark II is noticeably better.
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 02-23-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreginNH1 View Post
Serge,

You certainly have a way with words. Very articulate description of what is probably the best value in integrated amps on the planet.

My personal knowledge only relates to this amp’s predecessor, the L590AX, which I very much regret selling. From what I have been told by those in the know, the Mark II is noticeably better.
I have no direct experience with the previous model Greg as this is my first Luxman. It is certainly not the last though. In fact I already have plans to expand on this system with another Luxman component. Love it.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:28 AM

Gentlemen, forgive my assertiveness but I still need the object of comparison. Without no landmarks I'm forced to take a leap of faith, to blindly believe in your (otherwise beautiful) description which might not resonate with my preference for sound. I need some amp models, some systems... What kind of music do you listen too? Is it ok on classical music, on Mahler, on Shostakovich? Is is fast?

P.S. My apologies for being so finical!
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Last edited by johndoe21ro; 06-04-2019 at 04:09 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe21ro View Post
Gentlemen, forgive my assertiveness but I still need the object of comparison. Without no landmarks I'm forced to take a leap of faith, to blindly believe in your (otherwise beautiful) description which might not resonate with my preference for sound. I need some amp models, some systems... What kind of music do you listen too? Is it ok on classical music, on Mahler, on Shostakovich? Is is fast?

P.S. My apologies for being so finical!
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR 72v DBS, AudioQuest Everest DBS 72V, AudioQuest Hurricane High Current 72V DBS, AudioQuest NRG-10 72V DBS, AudioQuest Diamond USB 216V DBS, UpTone ISO Regen w USPCB A>B Adapter
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w IsoTek Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; HiFi Tuning Supreme 3
While it is possible to describe the "general" attributes of an audio component, the final outcome will depend on too many factors such as amp/speaker interaction and synergy, your speaker/room interaction, your taste and preference with tonal balance and presentation, the source components, to some degree cabling choice and yes, the musical genres that "dominate" your listening habits and preference.

I have already tried to describe in detail the "general" attributes of the Luxman L-590AXII, the rest I am afraid will be up to you to discover for yourself as it will not help you much if I start to compare my BAT, ARC, McIntosh, Lamm, D'Agostino, Shindo, Bryston, Krell and other gear with the various speakers such as Sonus Faber, Dynaudio, Martin Logan, Tannoy, Wilson Audio, etc.. all of which were used in different pairings in different rooms...

If you have a dealer you can visit and give the Luxman 590 a good listen, chances are, you will own it, if that is what you have in mind for your speakers. That much I can say with confidence.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:47 PM
Retired

Serge - very well said. We all have our own ears.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag