AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Paradigm

Paradigm All about the Sound

Old 06-17-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegiant View Post
Thank you. You guys gave me the direction I needed.
You're welcome. Just in case there was any doubt here is some data for you.

Say your speaker's efficiency rating is 90dBm. People who think they are smart will say you only need 1 Watt to hit 90 dB, but that is only if your ear is 1 m from the speaker. In your 35' long room you could be listening 6 m (20') away so according to my calculations would need 36 W to get 90 dB. Power demands go up exponentially, so to hit 100 dB you would need 360 Wpc.

No receiver is going to give you that kind of power, especially not to all 7 speakers, so that's why we said to go with separates.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the great info. Based upon your recommendations I have obtained the following:
One Anthem AVM 60 processor
One Anthem MCA 50 amp
One Anthem MCA 20 amp
One Anthem PVA 5 amp

My next question is about setting up the processor. I read a recommendation some where that I should set all the speakers to "small" during the set up process so the subwoofer will cross over on all the speakers and prevent even the main front speakers from straining and distorting because they are nearing their limit and don't have enough power. Given the equipment shown above do I need to worry about lack of power necessary to properly drive my Paradigms at their lower limits? I'm guessing I would like to keep as much bass as I can in the Paradigms and away from my older 10 inch Velodyne sub. All speakers are bi wired. My speakers are as follows:
Fronts - Studio 100 v2
Center - CC 450
Rear - Studio 40 v3
Side - ADP450
Sub - older 10 inch Velodyne
Future expansion for Atmos

Thanks
Old 06-30-2016, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegiant View Post
Thanks for the great info. Based upon your recommendations I have obtained the following: One Anthem AVM 60 processor One Anthem MCA 50 amp One Anthem MCA 20 amp One Anthem PVA 5 amp My next question is about setting up the processor. I read a recommendation some where that I should set all the speakers to "small" during the set up process so the subwoofer will cross over on all the speakers and prevent even the main front speakers from straining and distorting because they are nearing their limit and don't have enough power. Given the equipment shown above do I need to worry about lack of power necessary to properly drive my Paradigms at their lower limits? I'm guessing I would like to keep as much bass as I can in the Paradigms and away from my older 10 inch Velodyne sub. All speakers are bi wired. My speakers are as follows: Fronts - Studio 100 v2 Center - CC 450 Rear - Studio 40 v3 Side - ADP450 Sub - older 10 inch Velodyne Future expansion for Atmos Thanks
Great acquisitions! Now that you have an Anthem processor you just run ARC and let it set the crossovers and speaker Config. You only need to enter the distances.

But to answer your question you normally set all speakers to "small" whenever there is a sub but you can play with the crossovers, I.e. set them low as the speaker can handle if you want. But if you just let ARC do its thing it will always sound better, especially the bass.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:22 PM

Took delivery Monday of a pair of eBay-snagged "customer-returned" but apparently unused (and of course discontinued) Paradigm Studio 20 v.5s for the home office system. They replace a pair of SE-1s that will land in the bedroom system.

Despite the obviously cramped quarters and the need for both break-in and better stands, the 20s get along extremely well with the c-j Sonographe SA250 when fed with mostly hi-rez (24/96 to DSD128 and DxD) downloads as well as some 16/44 rips. I've just ordered WW Eclipse jumpers from (who else?) Ivan to take them to the next level.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:52 PM

I have two related questions:

First - what are the situations where you would use a Paradigm SA 15R-30 in lieu of a SA 15R in the ceiling?

Second - I have a large room with 12 foot ceilings and a very good Studio series 7.1 system. For the purpose of expanding to Atmos, which ceiling speakers would be better (if any)?
SA 15R
SA 15R-30
SA 30

Thank you
Old 08-19-2016, 10:41 PM

I am looking for a Paradigm Servo 15 v2 or a Signature servo. What should I look for and listen for as I examine one of these?

Thank you
Old 08-20-2016, 07:22 AM

just copy down the serial# and send an e-mail to Paradigm to see if it has been sent back for service.

they have a mountain of parts and keep fixing and nursing along there stuff...

Old 11-04-2018, 07:49 PM

I need advise concerning a situation that occurred with my son's home theater setup. He has the following:
2 Monitor 11 s7 towers
Monitor 3 center channel
2 Monitor Surround 3 rear channel
2 Mini Monitor s7 side channel
1 Monitor Sub 12
Oppo 203 player
Yamaha RX-A3010 receiver

1. We ran the Paradigm subwoofer PBK program and then the Yamaha YPAO program.
2. We set the tower crossover at 60 hz and left all the others at 80 hz.
3. We added 5 db volume to the side and rear channel sound levels that YPAO calculated.
4. We utilized the Yamaha bi-amp feature for the towers; which means 9 channels were being utilized on the receiver.

We then sat down to watch Dunkirk on DVD and gradually turned the volume to +10. During three of the loud explosions all of the sound went dead for about a second with each explosion.

I am wondering if we overtaxed the receiver. If so, would an external amplifier for the towers solve this problem and how big of an amplifier should I purchase? I was thinking about an older Anthem MCA 2, 3, or 5.

Following are the specs for the Yamaha receiver on page 161.

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im...022RXA3010.PDF

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Old 11-04-2018, 08:55 PM

The biggest upgrade you can make to an HT receiver is to add an external multichannel amplifier. The receiver manufacturers just can’t put enough meat in the power amplifier sections and still keep their products competitively priced.

I’d get a 5 channel amplifier of 200wpc and use it for L, C, and R, leaving the receiver to handle the surrounds. I used a Sherbourn 5 channel amplifier for many years. It was outstanding. It had a separate power supply for each channel. I’m sure other brands are as capable.
Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 11-04-2018, 09:35 PM

I've got an Anthem PVA-7 Amp and am looking into the AVM-60 for a pre/pro...
Subwoofer REL Stadium III Sub-Bass System BluRay Player Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray