AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 10-10-2017, 09:37 PM

Default The Experiment Continues: Rogue Audio RP-7 on order

I've been seeking a preamp for my main system for a couple months. Looking at the 3 gain settings on my Benchmark AHB-2 amp and the output voltages of my Totaldac d1-twelve SE DAC's buffered and unbuffered outputs with the desire to be able to use both, I decided to order the Rogue Audio RP-7. This tubed, fully balanced preamp offers up to 20db gain with a max output voltage of 30V. This will allow me to use the lowest gain setting on the amp while using the unbuffered output of my DAC. The bias adjustment evidently is easy to set, so some of the work involved with this tubed component is minimized. The output impedance is very low so it should pair reasonably well with most amplifiers. Finally, the price is rather reasonable for high-end audio and Rogue Audio products are well made and receive very positive reviews.

I've never owned a tubed component before, so my curiosity is piqued. While my amp has sweet mid and highs, I'm looking for a little more bloom. I'll post impressions once I've had a chance to listen to it and as the preamp burns in.
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels

Last edited by ylee; 10-10-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:24 PM

Should be a great sounding preamp. sophisticated electrical design is based on pure class A tube amplification with mosfet output buffering to provide huge drive along with a super low output impedance. Mosfet output in amps and preamps tend to sound smooth, rich and refined but may not sound transparent enough to some other ears. I've personally always liked Class A and MOSFET circuits in audio.

In fact I spent a few months living with a Rogue Audio tube amp when I had Martin Logan speakers and it was a very good pairing then. This is going back quite a few years. I don't doubt that Rogue Audio still puts out great sounding audio gear.

Good luck with the RP-7 and of course do let us know how things work out for you.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Should be a great sounding preamp. sophisticated electrical design is based on pure class A tube amplification with mosfet output buffering to provide huge drive along with a super low output impedance. Mosfet output in amps and preamps tend to sound smooth, rich and refined but may not sound transparent enough to some other ears. I've personally always liked Class A and MOSFET circuits in audio.

In fact I spent a few months living with a Rogue Audio tube amp when I had Martin Logan speakers and it was a very good pairing then. This is going back quite a few years. I don't doubt that Rogue Audio still puts out great sounding audio gear.

Good luck with the RP-7 and of course do let us know how things work out for you.
Thanks. The RP-7 is being made at this moment and should arrive in the middle of next week. From what I've read both the RP-5 and RP-7 excel in resolution and transparency. Whether the RP-7 filters the sound of my DAC will be interesting to hear since right now I am sending the DAC's buffered output signal straight to my amp. The comparison therefore will be easy to make, if not actually hear.
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Old 10-12-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylee View Post
Thanks. The RP-7 is being made at this moment and should arrive in the middle of next week. From what I've read both the RP-5 and RP-7 excel in resolution and transparency. Whether the RP-7 filters the sound of my DAC will be interesting to hear since right now I am sending the DAC's buffered output signal straight to my amp. The comparison therefore will be easy to make, if not actually hear.
Yes, it should be easy to pick up on changes right away. I personally never liked a system without a good preamp adding some body and bloom to the sound.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:05 PM

Well that was quick. The RP-7 was waiting for me when I got home (my wife tipped me off by saying "You've got what appears to be yet another audio delivery.").

I got it installed in my main system and am listening to it as I type. A short description of its effect is it adds body and bloom without any discernable reduction in resolution. The bass in particular sounds full and rich. The RP-7 appears to be a fantastic match for the Benchmark AHB2 amp.

I'll post more impressions as the preamp burns in. For now, I'm liking very much what I hear.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Well that was quick. The RP-7 was waiting for me when I got home (my wife tipped me off by saying "You've got what appears to be yet another audio delivery.").

I got it installed in my main system and am listening to it as I type. A short description of its effect is it adds body and bloom without any discernable reduction in resolution. The bass in particular sounds full and rich. The RP-7 appears to be a fantastic match for the Benchmark AHB2 amp.

I'll post more impressions as the preamp burns in. For now, I'm liking very much what I hear.
That’s great news that you like it straight out of the box. No doubt it will open up and bloom even more with some hours on it. Congrats, enjoy and keep us updated as to progress and further thoughts!
Old 10-13-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:

Excellent, being a 'Rogue' kind of guy myself I suspect you will be grinning from ear to ear ! Mark and his group make some of the best gear in the tube world for the $$ IMO !
Old 10-13-2017, 08:13 PM

Definitely explore tube rolling options; all the Rogue gear I've had -- past and present -- responds brilliantly to good swaps. The warm vintage stuff like Mullards and RCAs will likely be an improvement over any new production tubes, but Rogue gear tends to *really* take off with higher clarity/resolution/dynamics tubes like Telefunken and especially Mazda (especially chrome plate 12AX7 for those slots - WOW). Also, the 12BH7 is a great swap for the 12AU7, but ask Rogue first, as this tube draws twice the heater current (they've cleared it for my Apollos and Ares).

They're shipping RCA clear-top 12AU7 with their higher-line gear (e.g. Apollo Dark), which might be in your RP-7. A fine tube, BUT there's always a nicer 12BH7 out there, in my experience (tougher to find a quiet 12BH7, though). There's also a French chrome plate 12AU7 that's worth a shot.

Last edited by mulveling; 10-13-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
Definitely explore tube rolling options; all the Rogue gear I've had -- past and present -- responds brilliantly to good swaps. The warm vintage stuff like Mullards and RCAs will likely be an improvement over any new production tubes, but Rogue gear tends to *really* take off with higher clarity/resolution/dynamics tubes like Telefunken and especially Mazda (especially chrome plate 12AX7 for those slots - WOW). Also, the 12BH7 is a great swap for the 12AU7, but ask Rogue first, as this tube draws twice the heater current (they've cleared it for my Apollos and Ares).

They're shipping RCA clear-top 12AU7 with their higher-line gear (e.g. Apollo Dark), which might be in your RP-7. A fine tube, BUT there's always a nicer 12BH7 out there, in my experience (tougher to find a quiet 12BH7, though). There's also a French chrome plate 12AU7 that's worth a shot.
These are some great tips - thanks! One of the appealing things about a tubed preamp for me is it will let me tweak the sound from time to time without having to spend an exorbitant amount of money.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:48 PM

A few more observations before I go to bed. The sound has changed noticeably even in three hours of listening tonight. It's gotten smoother for sure. Also, the bloom and body helps front to back layering of the soundstage. The tone of the system sounds slightly more balanced with the fuller sound, which is a subjective statement. To my ears, the fuller sound makes the overall presentation of the music a bit more intimate and a bit less analytical. So far, so good.

The remote is a rather cheap, light plastic piece, which I don't necessarily mind because more money went into the unit itself. It's a far cry from the hefty chunk of aluminum remote that accompanied my previous preamp, the Classe CP-800. That said, it works just fine.

The stock power cord seems rather thin, but it is supposedly shielded. Audiophiles hardly ever keep the stock cord so this is not much of a problem really.

The RP-7 looks a LOT better in person than it does on the Web. Rogue Audio's website reminds me of early 2000s sites, and their pics don't do their equipment justice.