McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-23-2012, 11:03 AM
From the BAT cave ...

syd123, welcome aboard!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd123 View Post
..Unless the Owner's Manual of the MA7000 is incorrect, it also has the ThermalTrak feature. ..From the manual,

"incorporate(s) a new design known as Thermal-
Trak™.
Interesting. Wonder if this was a mfgr'g upgrade during the production, as McIntosh is wont to do with no announcement, or true for all MA7000s? Does anyone know when/what the first amp was using ThermalTrak outputs?
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 05-23-2012, 02:14 PM

I have to say I love my ma6600. I haven't spent a ton of time listening to other McIntosh gear, but I can say it provides a fantastic sound that is up to snuff in every way I know compared to amps I have listened to. I can't imagine it will have any problem driving your B&W's, as they are not usually considered extremely difficult loads to drive. When I originally tested the 6600, the dealer was basically willing to hook it up to anything and went with really large standmount B&W's (do not remember the model at all) and it was pretty stunning.

Also the 6600 lets you turn it into a really nice receiver with the optional tuner module. I bought it and have found myself listening to more radio.

I just don't think you can go wrong here.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:36 PM

I got into higher end audio with Adcom equipment back in the late eighties and early nineties. The stuff was rock solid and to my ears sounded great. I kept it until I was offered a great deal through a local McIntosh dealer on a C42/MC352 combo. The C42 was from another customer that changed their mind before delivery and the MC352 was already on order. Unfortunately, the purchase would have to be made based upon reputation alone as the local dealer did not have much on display. I decided to pull the trigger figuring that all those McIntosh owners could not be wrong.

Due to shipping of the MC352, there was some time between having the McIntosh equipment home and selling my Adcom equipment. When the the amp finally arrived, I raced home and hooked it up to the C42 and the Adcom CD player (the only Adcom piece I had left). I thought that I was going to be blown away but boy was I disapointed! Where was the bass? ALL of my low end was gone. My speakers no longer thumped the way they had with the Adcom equipment and it wasn't a minor amount of loss, it was a huge difference! I gave it a few months and I will say I enjoyed the mids and highs, but what good are they without the low end to accompany them. The music should be felt too when turned up. That's when I discovered a popular online listing site and happily sold the C42/MC352 combo.

Figuring that maybe it was just the particular pieces I purchased and that many happy McIntosh owners could not be wrong, I decided to give it another try. My next piece was an MA6900, one of the prettiest pieces of equipment (the MA2275 is pretty too) McIntosh ever made with the chrome chassis and the starburst dashed lighting around the volume and equalizer controls (where is the starburst lighting on the new pieces). Unfortunately, it was not beauty to my ears as it too did not have the bass output which I had enjoyed with the Adcom equipment but was admittedly much better than the C42/MC352 combo. Because of this, it was off to the online listing site and I figured that I was done with McIntosh and I wanted my old Adcom system back.

Since the economy was doing a lot better at the time, a new dealer opened up in my area and they had everything Mcintosh offered on display including a new tube integrated, the MA2275. I decided to listen to it and fell in love and knew I had to have one. When I added it to my system, the MA2275 turned out to be a great piece. I don't understand all of the MA2275 bashers out there as it is a wonderful sounding piece of gear and the 75 watts of tube power turned out to be fine. It is also very beautiful and unlike most people on this forum, I don't like handles on the front of my amps, so much so that I would never consider the MA7000 because of them.

Anyway, a remodeling budget that went out of control forced the sale of my beautiful MA2275. I was lucky enough to find an old MA6450 in mint condition locally on craigslist at an extremely low price to fill the gap. But now that things have been paid off from the remodel, I too am considering a change. I will say, laugh if you must, the MA6450 is actually a great little integrated amp. It offers the variable loudness control, a simple layout with an auxilary in (which the MA2275 and the MA7000 do not offer), a smaller size, and with a change to the end caps, it will match any of the new components out there.

Well time has passed since making my previous purchases and so have my source choices as I don't use a CD player at all. I, like everyone I know, use a computer with an outboard D/A for my audiophile source second to, dare I say, my iPhone using the digital output through a dock. Because of this, I am hesitant to purchase a new integrated amp from McIntosh. None of the current models have an input named D/A which I don't understand since D/A converters have been out for years and have become more and more popular. I also don't need a CD player so the MCD500 with the built in D/A does not tempt me and neither does any McIntosh CD player after three MCD205's and one automotive McIntosh CD player all which did not work. And why McIntosh keeps putting a second CD as a main input source will never make sense to me. At least the MA6600 does give you an AUX input, but again, why not also a D/A input since McIntosh makes a D/A converter and there is an input button named D/A on their remotes. Regardless, I have auditioned an MA6600 and it does sound nice even though it doesn't have a chrome chassis (a little jab at McIntosh for not including this on the MA6600). I think the next step may be a home audition or forget my OCD tendencies and just get another MA2275 and not worry about the input names.

In conclusion to my ramblings, my advice to anyone considering McIntosh is to go and listen and decide on your own what sounds good. I made the mistake of using opinions from my peers to make my early decisions and they turned out to be wrong for me. The fortunate thing regarding McIntosh is that they have a rather large selection of choices all with a unique sound so you are bound to find something which will appeal to you. And take your time, a lot of money can be lost buying and selling this stuff, I know.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:18 PM

Loved my MA6600 and would buy is again!! You cant go wrong with this unit.....
Sonus Faber Amati Faturas / JL Audio 13.5” Fanthom In Wall Subs / McIntosh C52 / McIntosh MCD 1100 / McIntosh MEN 220 / McIntosh MC 601’s / McIntosh MPC 1500 / McIntosh MT 5 / McIntosh MC 275’s / Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector / Silenzo (This thing is Amazing) / Gold Lion Tubes from Vintage Tube

All items in green were bought thru the AA marketplace and blue from a current AA retailer
Old 05-25-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahle View Post
I got into higher end audio with Adcom equipment back in the late eighties and early nineties. The stuff was rock solid and to my ears sounded great. I kept it until I was offered a great deal through a local McIntosh dealer on a C42/MC352 combo. The C42 was from another customer that changed their mind before delivery and the MC352 was already on order. Unfortunately, the purchase would have to be made based upon reputation alone as the local dealer did not have much on display. I decided to pull the trigger figuring that all those McIntosh owners could not be wrong.

Due to shipping of the MC352, there was some time between having the McIntosh equipment home and selling my Adcom equipment. When the the amp finally arrived, I raced home and hooked it up to the C42 and the Adcom CD player (the only Adcom piece I had left). I thought that I was going to be blown away but boy was I disapointed! Where was the bass? ALL of my low end was gone. My speakers no longer thumped the way they had with the Adcom equipment and it wasn't a minor amount of loss, it was a huge difference! I gave it a few months and I will say I enjoyed the mids and highs, but what good are they without the low end to accompany them. The music should be felt too when turned up. That's when I discovered a popular online listing site and happily sold the C42/MC352 combo.

Figuring that maybe it was just the particular pieces I purchased and that many happy McIntosh owners could not be wrong, I decided to give it another try. My next piece was an MA6900, one of the prettiest pieces of equipment (the MA2275 is pretty too) McIntosh ever made with the chrome chassis and the starburst dashed lighting around the volume and equalizer controls (where is the starburst lighting on the new pieces). Unfortunately, it was not beauty to my ears as it too did not have the bass output which I had enjoyed with the Adcom equipment but was admittedly much better than the C42/MC352 combo. Because of this, it was off to the online listing site and I figured that I was done with McIntosh and I wanted my old Adcom system back.

Since the economy was doing a lot better at the time, a new dealer opened up in my area and they had everything Mcintosh offered on display including a new tube integrated, the MA2275. I decided to listen to it and fell in love and knew I had to have one. When I added it to my system, the MA2275 turned out to be a great piece. I don't understand all of the MA2275 bashers out there as it is a wonderful sounding piece of gear and the 75 watts of tube power turned out to be fine. It is also very beautiful and unlike most people on this forum, I don't like handles on the front of my amps, so much so that I would never consider the MA7000 because of them.

Anyway, a remodeling budget that went out of control forced the sale of my beautiful MA2275. I was lucky enough to find an old MA6450 in mint condition locally on craigslist at an extremely low price to fill the gap. But now that things have been paid off from the remodel, I too am considering a change. I will say, laugh if you must, the MA6450 is actually a great little integrated amp. It offers the variable loudness control, a simple layout with an auxilary in (which the MA2275 and the MA7000 do not offer), a smaller size, and with a change to the end caps, it will match any of the new components out there.

Well time has passed since making my previous purchases and so have my source choices as I don't use a CD player at all. I, like everyone I know, use a computer with an outboard D/A for my audiophile source second to, dare I say, my iPhone using the digital output through a dock. Because of this, I am hesitant to purchase a new integrated amp from McIntosh. None of the current models have an input named D/A which I don't understand since D/A converters have been out for years and have become more and more popular. I also don't need a CD player so the MCD500 with the built in D/A does not tempt me and neither does any McIntosh CD player after three MCD205's and one automotive McIntosh CD player all which did not work. And why McIntosh keeps putting a second CD as a main input source will never make sense to me. At least the MA6600 does give you an AUX input, but again, why not also a D/A input since McIntosh makes a D/A converter and there is an input button named D/A on their remotes. Regardless, I have auditioned an MA6600 and it does sound nice even though it doesn't have a chrome chassis (a little jab at McIntosh for not including this on the MA6600). I think the next step may be a home audition or forget my OCD tendencies and just get another MA2275 and not worry about the input names.

In conclusion to my ramblings, my advice to anyone considering McIntosh is to go and listen and decide on your own what sounds good. I made the mistake of using opinions from my peers to make my early decisions and they turned out to be wrong for me. The fortunate thing regarding McIntosh is that they have a rather large selection of choices all with a unique sound so you are bound to find something which will appeal to you. And take your time, a lot of money can be lost buying and selling this stuff, I know.
It is kind of weird to hear that you had little bass when the MC352 was in your system. I used to have the MC352 for a short time and it provided plenty of bass for my Canton Ergo and JBL speakers. What speaker tabs did you use? it is possible that you used a higher ohm tabs than the actual impedance that your speakers were giving out. Eg. using 4-ohm tabs for a 8-ohm speaker will significantly reduce the bass output of the speaker. I don't have the MC352 anymore, I moved on to the MC501s. But one of my friend still has the MC352 and in my opinion, it is still one of the best amp in its price range out there. IMHO
Old 05-25-2012, 08:08 PM

Hi Thedo,
I tried different jumper configurations and it made no difference, the bass output just did not rival that of the Adcom GFA555ii. From what I have read, it could have been the C42 and nothing to do with the MC352 but I sold both pieces of gear at the same time and never verified. I did however try different speakers and had the same result. The funny thing is, the person who bought my Adcom amp did so to bi-amp his speakers. He was using a McIntosh amp on the top end, I don't know which, and wanted the Adcom for the bottom end. He told me when he purchased the Adcom amp that they were great for doing this. I didn't pursue it any further.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:37 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Stahle... Welcome!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 05-25-2012, 09:00 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Stahle, welcome aboard!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:02 PM

Stahle... Welcome To AA!!!