AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 12-11-2010, 05:55 PM
McKlipschead

specialized...Welcome to AA, glad you're here Last weekend I listened to the new MC452 with a C2300 at my local hi-fi shop. Speakers were a pair of JBL Project Everest DD66000's, so my judgement was clouded This combo sounded great thru those magnificant and revealing speakers. If there was any flaw in their system it would have been evident to me, the C2300 was absolutely not a weak link to my ears. They had a new C50 on hand for demos, but didn't have it hooked up so can't help you there, yet. If you have an opportunity to compare for yourself that would be most helpful. Don't know how much sonic difference there is between the two McPre-amps, but if you want an 8-band equalizer, USB input and onboard DAC capabilities the C50 should be right up your alley.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyc View Post
specialized...Welcome to AA, glad you're here Last weekend I listened to the new MC452 with a C2300 at my local hi-fi shop. Speakers were a pair of JBL Project Everest DD66000's, so my judgement was clouded This combo sounded great thru those magnificant and revealing speakers. If there was any flaw in their system it would have been evident to me, the C2300 was absolutely not a weak link to my ears. They had a new C50 on hand for demos, but didn't have it hooked up so can't help you there, yet. If you have an opportunity to compare for yourself that would be most helpful. Don't know how much sonic difference there is between the two McPre-amps, but if you want an 8-band equalizer, USB input and onboard DAC capabilities the C50 should be right up your alley.

that;s my main problem.. Not a possability to listen by my self.. There is no C50 and it can be here only by order.. So not a chance for a demo. What source did u use when u listen c2300 with mc452? That's why is very important to me if someone have a chance to listen them both and to try to explain the differences..

Thanks
Old 12-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by piolaxo View Post
Yes, I thought the same... bikes and hifi.
Doesn't get any better. Am building up a Serotta Ottrott (all Campy, of course - the McIntosh of components) at the moment as my new hip heals. Looking forward to spring. Unfortunately, the doc recommends against any more MTB riding.

Specialized - where are you located?
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 12-11-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Doesn't get any better. Am building up a Serotta Ottrott (all Campy, of course - the McIntosh of components) at the moment as my new hip heals. Looking forward to spring. Unfortunately, the doc recommends against any more MTB riding.

Specialized - where are you located?

I hurt my back few years ago and suggested to go on surgery.. And also doctors said to stop biking in the future and skiing. Of course i didnt do the surgery (fix the problem with swiming/pilates/excersises), 2 years later got back riding (i had a chance to ride with Kraftwerk when they had concert here so that was my first ride after my back problem ), and start racing and doing long tours (100km mountain biking). And have another tip.. Now with doctors im going out for a drink , and not in the hospital So feel free to continue mtb riding Of course, i continued skiing as well .. And yes.. They said to dont play tennis, and becouse i didnt play it , i had to start after this advice

Im Located in Macedonia, East Europe (between Greece, Bulgaria, Serbia)

Greetings

p.s. Campy is wonderfull.. Im thinking to get a Pinarello or Opera this summer with Campy
Old 12-11-2010, 06:50 PM
McKlipschead

The source was Sonus into the MCD500 digital input. You should also consider looking into an MCD500. Read thru some of the McIntosh threads and you'll notice there are quite a few forum members owning and praising their players, and it's quad Sabre DAC's. If it were me and I already had a C2300 I'd be looking real hard at the MCD500 too

Last edited by bradleyc; 12-11-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyc View Post
The source was Sonus into the MCD500 digital input. You should also consider looking into an MCD500. Read thru some of the McIntosh threads and you'll notice there are quite a few forum members owning and praising their players, and it's quad Sabre DAC's. For me, if I already had a C2300 I would be looking real hard at the MCD500 too

Im using a Benchmark DAC1 PRE in this moment.. It's very revealing dac.. And i thought to get and MCD500, but instead of that i'll get Oppo83SE NuForce edition becouse use the same sabre DAC's, and i found some reviews where people who had a chance to listen both of them say that they are very close.

So thats' why im focused should i stay on C2300 or C50 is better one? I like the flexibility of changing sound caracter with tubes roling, but if c50 is better then c2300 then this tube rolling possability is not needed and it's compensate with good dac inside (im also wondering how this compare to my Benchmark)

Greetings
Old 12-11-2010, 08:54 PM
McKlipschead

http://audioaficionado.org/general-a...sh-mcd500.html
Old 12-11-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialized View Post
Im using a Benchmark DAC1 PRE in this moment.. It's very revealing dac.. And i thought to get and MCD500, but instead of that i'll get Oppo83SE NuForce edition becouse use the same sabre DAC's, and i found some reviews where people who had a chance to listen both of them say that they are very close.

So thats' why im focused should i stay on C2300 or C50 is better one? I like the flexibility of changing sound caracter with tubes roling, but if c50 is better then c2300 then this tube rolling possability is not needed and it's compensate with good dac inside (im also wondering how this compare to my Benchmark)

Greetings

I haven't heard the C50, it may or may not sound better than the C2300. I can tell you the C2300 sounds very very good with Genalex Gold Lion 12AX7 tubes. These tubes are extremely popular around these parts, for good reason. I continue to be amazed at just how good these inexpensive tubes are - every CD I put into the drawer of my MCD500 and every LP I spin sounds better than I have ever heard in my room. I believe McIntosh should reevaluate their choice of stock tubes. The $240 retail it would cost to replace the 6 tubes in a C2300 for example has a significant and audible improvement to the sound and subsequently enjoyment of the C2300. The Mc C2300 lists for $6000.... I can't imagine a perspective owner who wouldn't pay $6250 for a "turbo charged, premium tubed" C2300 directly from the factory.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 12-12-2010, 03:20 AM

My C-50 is all hooked up and has been playing LP,s...CD's for hours....my first impression is very positive and akin to the sound i first heard over a month ago when i was listening to the pair(C50-MC-452).......a very liquid-organic Midrange.To my ear it also sounds "Smoother" then the Bryston Preamp/MC 452 Combo....also to my surprise i am DELIGHTED by the 8 band EQ(I cant believe i am saying this LOL )....i have always been such a purist and pre-amp wise never dreamed of using an EQ,but i cannot believe the amazing change this has made in some of my CD's .I am able to tame a bit of the harshness in the recording ....i am so delighted!......however the most "Bolt out of my seat reaction thus far" was how very,very quiet the Phono output Stage is compared to the Bryston......for some reason i always found the Phono Stage in the Bryston to be somewhat "Grainy",but the C-50 Phono Stage is DEAD QUIET.....i also find the bass to be more controlled in the C50 and the detail in the recordings to be more "Open/Forward" without being bright when paired with the MC 452....as oppossed to the Bryston Preamp-MC 452 combo.
Well thats it for the 1st few hours.....many more hours to come as it get broken in..........here are a few pics.......pls forgive me i am NOT a good photographer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mc4 008.jpg (94.7 KB, 372 views)
File Type: jpg mc4 004.jpg (101.5 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg mc4 002.jpg (101.3 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg mc4 006.jpg (100.0 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg mc4 001.jpg (94.2 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by Volks; 12-12-2010 at 04:14 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
I haven't heard the C50, it may or may not sound better than the C2300. I can tell you the C2300 sounds very very good with Genalex Gold Lion 12AX7 tubes. These tubes are extremely popular around these parts, for good reason. I continue to be amazed at just how good these inexpensive tubes are - every CD I put into the drawer of my MCD500 and every LP I spin sounds better than I have ever heard in my room. I believe McIntosh should reevaluate their choice of stock tubes. The $240 retail it would cost to replace the 6 tubes in a C2300 for example has a significant and audible improvement to the sound and subsequently enjoyment of the C2300. The Mc C2300 lists for $6000.... I can't imagine a perspective owner who wouldn't pay $6250 for a "turbo charged, premium tubed" C2300 directly from the factory.

I like the fact that we can tweak the c2300 with tube rolings and C50 sound its fixed. Dac's are improving very fast so maybe after 2-3 years there would be even better dac for very low price. That's why my main thing is to find if C50 is better just as preamp (maybe if it's better by big margin then there is no need of tweaking at all), and if it's better then DAC is bonus (for same price as c2300 if it's same sound quaility still dac is bonus). Also maybe the DAC is that good that we dont need any better.. I would really appreciate if some of u who had a chance to compare both preamps to share u'r experience with rest of us, so to know should we move from c2300 to c50 or to stay here.. I got info from mcintosh that c50 was better (personal opinion of one their people) then c2300 but that was very few words without explaining at all what was better and what not.. When i asked about more details i just got ignored (same happened when i write why volume button is totaly off axis when i got my c2300. This dont make any problem or dont make sound quality lower, but i just asked that in this price it would be a good if they have a bit better details control. When i send the pictures of that i got answered that is becouse of hand assembling and got ignored again after that in a bit arogant way.. But that's another story..)

About tube roling and c2300 i suggest to open a new thread becouse i have so many questions and dont want to steal this thread if u agree with me

Greetings