Old 09-25-2010, 05:54 PM

Default Amati Anniversarios at Home

MacBook Pro SSD with Amarra 2.0 player
Firewire to Weiss Int202
Duel AES cables to dcS Scarlatti Dac
Boulder 865 Integrated Amp

and of course, the

Amati Anniversarios

Not sure about the room acoustics, lots of glass and reflective surfaces, and minimal carpeting, but they sound fabulous.

-- Daniel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000299.jpg (95.4 KB, 290 views)
Old 09-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Merry Christmas to all

daniel.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado.

WOW!!! Your Sonus Faber Amati Anniversario speakers look fabulous.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 09-25-2010, 06:18 PM

Daniel...welcome to AA . The speakers look great and the associated gear is first rate. Boulder - Sonus Faber is a great match.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:12 PM
Media Server Aficionado

I agree on the Boulder + SF. The crispness of Boulder should keep those SF's under a great iron fisted velvet glove.

Clean and neat - just the way it's supposed to be!
Old 09-25-2010, 07:22 PM

You have a very high-end setup there! Congrats!
Old 09-25-2010, 07:52 PM

Very nice set-up you have there. Those SF's are some excellent speakers.

Welcome to AA
Old 09-25-2010, 09:59 PM

Okay guys, enough accolades , now to work. Which brings us to the dreaded subject of ... well, you know

When I bought the Boulder and the Amatis, last December, I went with my dealers recommendation for speaker cables and interconnects, which were:

Transparent Music Wave Ultra speaker cables
Transparent Balanced MusicLink Ultra interconnects

Then later I read the following comment on this forum (from "turntable"):

"IMO [Transparent speaker cables are] not a good match with the SF's. The transparent cables are a little dark thru the mids/upper frequencies and the bass has little "Prat" as you may have it and sounds a bit thick. It plays perfectly to the strengths of Wilson speakers but not Sonus Faber speakers...Try a pair of Kimber speaker cables from your dealer. Pace and rhythm in the bass will better as well as tighter and the upper bass/ mids will open up with better extension on top. That is my experience with Transparent Ref XLV-MM vs Kimber Select KS3033."

I ran that by my dealer, and she replied,

"There is some truth in the comments about the wire but it is a relationship between the amp and the speakers , not just the speakers. I have tried the Kimber cable but found when using a tube amplifier it performed best. And I have found that the Ultra is a better combination that the Reference he refers to."

And then today, I read here that Yter might go well with SF!

Anyone here have any thoughts or comments? I feel out of depth on this subject. I've asked, but my dealer doesn't seem to be very enthusiastic about setting up an audition with Kimber wire. On the other hand, if I do change wire, I'd want to go through her, because she's very good at swapping components and giving credit for what she takes back.

I'm prepared to revisit cable choices, but only once!

Thanks,
Daniel

Last edited by daniel; 09-26-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:20 PM

Daniel...I would stay with the Transparent cables unless there is something that you are unhappy with in terms of the sonic signature of your system, or stay with them until you become very familiar with the sound of your system in its current configuration. I would address room acoustics. As you pointed out, my guess is your room is a bit reverberant with wooden floors, bare walls, glass window and table in the middle of the room. I am sure you can soften room acoustics with a large area rug, some pictures on the wall, some window treatments (curtains), and replacing your glass coffee table with a nice modern wooden table. My guess is that will eliminate a lot of slap and flutter echo in the room and reduce smearing, enhancing resolution. After you have tamed the speaker-room interface a bit, you will be better able to determine whether the transparent cables are a good fit with your speakers and the rest of your system. My 2c worth.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel View Post
Okay guys, enough accolades , now too work. Which brings us to the dreaded subject of ... well, you know

When I bought the Boulder and the Amatis, last December, I went with my dealers recommendation for speaker cables and interconnects, which were:

Transparent Music Wave Ultra speaker cables
Transparent Balanced MusicLink Ultra interconnects

Then later I read the following comment on this forum (from "turntable"):

"IMO [Transparent speaker cables are] not a good match with the SF's. The transparent cables are a little dark thru the mids/upper frequencies and the bass has little "Prat" as you may have it and sounds a bit thick. It plays perfectly to the strengths of Wilson speakers but not Sonus Faber speakers...Try a pair of Kimber speaker cables from your dealer. Pace and rhythm in the bass will better as well as tighter and the upper bass/ mids will open up with better extension on top. That is my experience with Transparent Ref XLV-MM vs Kimber Select KS3033."

I ran that by my dealer, and she replied,

"There is some truth in the comments about the wire but it is a relationship between the amp and the speakers , not just the speakers. I have tried the Kimber cable but found when using a tube amplifier it performed best. And I have found that the Ultra is a better combination that the Reference he refers to."

And then today, I read here that Yter might go well with SF!

Anyone here have any thoughts or comments? I feel out of depth on this subject. I've asked, but my dealer doesn't seem to be very enthusiastic about setting up an audition with Kimber wire. On the other hand, if I do change wire, I'd want to go through her, because she's very good at swapping components and giving credit for what she takes back.

I'm prepared to revisit cable choices, but only once!

Thanks,
Daniel
1. Daniel, congratulations on your system. The Amati Anniversarios (Graphite) are simply gorgeous and beautiful sounding. I can imagine if the Momentos are already so good, this could surely be the superb!

2. Stay with the transparent although the Yter is a "better match" per se. After all, its all from the same creator, Franco Serblin.

3. Unless after a long period of break in, listening do you find the transparent still not meeting your "taste", then go for the change to Yter.

Thats my $0.02 cents point of view.

Enjoy!

Cheers!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 09-26-2010, 06:56 AM

Congratulations, very nice system.

With Sonus Faber I suggest the Kimber KS3035 (VariStrand technology with hyper-pure copper and silver). You could try also the new KS6065.

Sonus Faber & Kimber are a perfect couple!