AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Pass Labs

Pass Labs 20 Years and Counting

Old 10-11-2014, 03:07 PM

Default Pass X 350 and X2.5 good match with Sonus Faber

Hi,

I have the opportunity to buy a used (about 10 years old) set of Pass X350 and X2.5. This would be replacing my Electrocompaniet power and pre amp.
Would this be a wise decision, what should I be looking for wnen buying used Pass amps? I the age a no-go (guess they run pretty hot, so 10 years might bring some potential issues?

This would be the first time I go for Pass, never heard them, would this be a potential good match with my Sonus Faber Guaneri Memento's?

Thanks for any feed back !!
Old 10-11-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerzom View Post
Hi,

I have the opportunity to buy a used (about 10 years old) set of Pass X350 and X2.5. This would be replacing my Electrocompaniet power and pre amp.
Would this be a wise decision, what should I be looking for wnen buying used Pass amps? I the age a no-go (guess they run pretty hot, so 10 years might bring some potential issues?

This would be the first time I go for Pass, never heard them, would this be a potential good match with my Sonus Faber Guaneri Memento's?

Thanks for any feed back !!
Pass gear is built like a tank and has great longevity. I would go for the Point 5 Series, which are substantially better than the original series. You can get a tremendous deal on the Point 5 Series right now with this year's introduction of the Point 8 Series. I know of several people that are experiencing tremendous synergy between their Pass gear and Sonus Faber speakers.

Best,
Ken

Last edited by PlanarSpeakerFan; 10-11-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Pass gear is built like a tank and has great longevity. I would go for the Point 5 Series, which are substantially better than the original series. You can get tremendous deal on the Point 5 Series right now with this year's introduction of the Point 8 Series. I know of several people that are experiencing tremendous synergy between their Pass gear and Sonus Faber speakers.

Best, Ken
+1. Yes, try to go with a used .5
Old 10-12-2014, 10:09 AM

Hi,

I just received the X160.8 with the Xp20 and Sasha2: Passlabs is the best powerampli available!!!!

Go with the Pass and try the have a 350.5!!!

greetings
Omar
Old 10-12-2014, 03:26 PM

Thanks for the feedback!
The set I'm being offered right now is a X2.5 and X350 (not the .5 series) would this be a no-go for you guys?
At this point in time, the .5 series is a step too far from a budget perspective.
What are the biggest differences comparing the 350 to the 350.5?
And would the X2.5 still be a good pre-amp?

Thanks again!
Old 10-12-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerzom View Post
Thanks for the feedback! The set I'm being offered right now is a X2.5 and X350 (not the .5 series) would this be a no-go for you guys? At this point in time, the .5 series is a step too far from a budget perspective. What are the biggest differences comparing the 350 to the 350.5? And would the X2.5 still be a good pre-amp? Thanks again!
I had an X350 and it's still a great amp. I would suggest it. The .5 series has a little more warmth than the non .5 does but the X series was still very nice.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:04 AM

Hallo gerzom,

the difference between x350 and 350.5 are "present" but are 2 great ampli.

maybe have more sense have a xp20 in place of the x2.5.

For me the preampli make much more difference in a system (a "top" preampli" give you a sound improvement more audible vs the "more new 350.5 ampli)
= Imho -> source and preampli are the 2 very important point in a system!

if you have the last model from the powerampli connect with a "entry level" preampli brings improvements but not as a top prampli with a powerampli that not ulztimo model!
powerampli is definitely important to have a good preampil but better than the other way...
Old 10-16-2014, 07:34 AM

Little update:

The deal regarding the X350 and X2.5 fell through (seller decided to sell to somebody else apparently...... )

So now I'm looking at other options, and I stumbled acroos a 4 your old set of XA60.5's or a set of X260.5's possibly an XP-10.

Same questions, which of the power amps would be a better match with my SF Guarneri Memento's?

Thanks again!!
Old 10-16-2014, 10:45 AM

The decision would somewhat depend on the room size and SPL that you listen at. I use magnepan 3.7's which have a sensitivity of 86db and XA100.5's. It appears your speakers are 88db so you should be able to get away with the xa60.5's. I would suggest the XA over the X line if you do not need the extra wattage. The XP10 is very detailed but does not offer much warmth, XP20 is about the same but has extra weight to the notes. From reviews it appears the XP30 offers the same detail and weight but with a little warmer or richer sound. I would suggest the XP20 though over the XP10 for the added weight, if your budget would allow.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:28 AM

I just bought myself a pair of XA60.5's

They should be here next week, so can't wait for these puppies to show up here........

Next is the hunt for a pre-amp, budget wise it will be a 2nd hand XP-10 I guess. For now I'm going to run them via a Mark Levinson ML-26, should work for now I guess.

Thanks for all the advise in my (short) journey towards Pass amplification