AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 11-24-2012, 01:19 PM

Default Shindo Giscours internal phono stage SMOKES the ARC Ref Phono 2 !

Ok, I finally tried the MC section of my Giscours. I was not in a hurry because all the buzz about the " you must use an SUT with a MC cart with Shindo " and the very few carts compatible.
What a shock ! My cart is a modest DL103 modified by ESC, on the Clearaudio Champion level II.
Heard a few recordings with both the ARC and the Shindo and there was no game. After a while, the ARC started to sound almost ugly compared to the Giscours.
Ok, to be nicer, let's say that the REF phono 2 sounds like a budget component compared to the Shindo inboard phono stage. The Shindo wins hands down for superlative dynamics, tremendous rich and detailed and super clean bass, realism, naturalness of the mids and highs with not an once of grain.
The Shindo magic lies in the preamps for sure, but truly in the phono section.
I am speechless.
The ARC blew away the C1000P inboard phono stages and the Shindo blows away the ARC to an extent I would have never thought possible.
The difference is unbelievable. There are really treasures in those black discs...
The ARC still sounds very good but I can ( and I do actually ) analyze the music. But the Shindo gives a complete immersion in the performance and goose bumps all the way and the level of musicality achieved cannot be compared with the ARC.
I don't know if all Shindo phono stages are at this level, but the Giscours one is truly a work of art.
So who in Europe / Australia needs a 230 V phono stage ? I'm selling my REF 2....

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 11-24-2012, 01:32 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Jerome, you must be one happy man. Nothing like getting a big improvement when you least expect it. Congrats!
Old 11-24-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman
Jerome, you must be one happy man. Nothing like getting a big improvement when you least expect it. Congrats!
Well yes and no Randy.
I should have bought the Giscours last year before the REF Phono 2. I would have saved a fair amount of money.
But yes, I'm super happy to see that spinning vinyls can go so high in results.
There was I time when I said that to spend a fair amount of money in audio for me, it could be nothing else than McIntosh.
Now Shindo took this place in my heart and makes me sorry for all the non Shindo gear I bought over the years !

Old 11-24-2012, 01:41 PM
Hear to listen...

Jerome, it's obvious that you're not in sales; otherwise, you'd have waited until AFTER your REF Phono 2 sold to post this! So, despite the fact that you just dissed my phono stage, I still really like you and am glad you're blissful.

Aural pleasures courtesy of SME, Dynavector, Audio Research, Simaudio, Wireworld, & Wilson
Old 11-24-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChiaro
Jerome, it's obvious that you're not in sales; otherwise, you'd have waited until AFTER your REF Phono 2 sold to post this! So, despite the fact that you just dissed my phono stage, I still really like you and am glad you're blissful.

Robert , I thought about you and about Howie of course when I wrote all this. thinking that I could be too rude on the ARC.....
But I am lucky enough for owning great units. And not communicating my findings is simply unfair.
In France, no dealer had the REF 2 on display when I ordered it. And Shindo is not sold here.
I thought that some people, even not interested in LP playback could find my history interesting.

You know well how I love my REF 2. And I know how you and Howie love yours. But like me you are not " newbies" in audio and of course you both know guys that there are better, much better phono stages on the market.
There is surely also a much better phono stage than the Giscours of course.
Such is life.
And you're right, I 'm not into sales : D !
Enjoy your REF 2 buddy ! It is, as you know, a wonderful phono stage.
Shindo is from an other planet ! So as long as you don't get a Giscours next to your Ref 2, you will be safe !

Old 11-24-2012, 03:12 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jérôme W View Post
Well yes and no Randy.
I should have bought the Giscours last year before the REF Phono 2. I would have saved a fair amount of money.
But yes, I'm super happy to see that spinning vinyls can go so high in results.
There was I time when I said that to spend a fair amount of money in audio for me, it could be nothing else than McIntosh.
Now Shindo took this place in my heart and makes me sorry for all the non Shindo gear I bought over the years !

It's a dance, not a race. Do not wish any of it away.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Chief Toneologist

Jerome, I am not surprised because it has been obvious for a while that you have a distinct preference for delicious sound - which is the one audio adjective that best describes the Shindo's sound across the line.

I don't think anyone should take any offense at your comments. You call it as you see it.

The Ref2 is called Ref (reference) for good reasons. There are people who want their gear to be as neutral as possible. My neighbor (with an all ARC system) is such a person. I find his system "too dry". He finds mine too "sweet". We would not trade systems even for a day (which would be easy to do because we live next door and it's something we discussed) because the our difference in taste are so clear.

I also like the idea of using the built-in phono stage, it's so much simpler and it requires fewer connectors and opportunities for picking up noise, etc.

Alberto
Old 11-24-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto
Jerome, I am not surprised because it has been obvious for a while that you have a distinct preference for delicious sound - which is the one audio adjective that best describes the Shindo's sound across the line.

I don't think anyone should take any offense at your comments. You call it as you see it.

The Ref2 is called Ref (reference) for good reasons. There are people who want their gear to be as neutral as possible. My neighbor (with an all ARC system) is such a person. I find his system "too dry". He finds mine too "sweet". We would not trade systems even for a day (which would be easy to do because we live next door and it's something we discussed) because the our difference in taste are so clear.

I also like the idea of using the built-in phono stage, it's so much simpler and it requires fewer connectors and opportunities for picking up noise, etc.

Alberto
Alberto,

I have to respectfully disagree here.
We have had a few pieces of gear in common together. I believe that we have the same tastes.
I do not put the same meaning as you do behind the word "delicious".
Your system is not " warm" in the meaning of " colored". It is warm and delicious because this is just how real music is.
I have now a pretty good knowledge of Shindo electronics, compared to Mc, Manley, ARC and so on to testify that Shindo is indeed VERY NEUTRAL.
Your Tannoy speakers are also extremely neutral.
So I wonder how come your system could be less " neutral " than an ARC REFERENCE system.
But Shindo sounds more like real music.
The Giscours phonostage gives much more details and has a much higher transparency than the REF 2. Quite the opposite indeed. The Shindo sound is more neutral than the ARC one. It is closer to the performance.
Does it sound delicious ? You bet !
Music is delicious !

Old 11-24-2012, 04:47 PM

Jerome...have you played around with the loading on the Ref 2 with the Denon DL-103? You might want to compare different settings as it sounds to me like you may not be optimally loading the cart via the Ref Phono 2. Just something to check. I would play the same piece of music over again (full song) on each load setting to see if there are material differences (irrespective of what the suggestions are from the cart manufacturer) and see if the SQ changes to the better on a different setting. Just a suggestion. Although if you are completely happy with the Giscours phono, you don't need the ARC phono anyway but thought it might be an interesting experiment to see.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:55 PM

Of course Cyril I did that.
Tried 50 / 100 / 200 ohms.
200 gave the best results in dynamics but treble sounded a bit aggressive. No matter the load, the REF 2 is far behind the Giscours.