AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Acoustical Treatments

Acoustical Treatments Because the room matters

Old 09-06-2012, 03:11 PM

Default fire the long way

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Elipsa SE or GE/G2 could work there. Again I would try to fire long ways towards the fireplace end pf the room. Slanted ceiling becomes much, much tougher across the room.

there seems to be a consensus about firing the long way. If I put a small sofa perpenidular in front of the fireplace it might not be to wife's liking. I was thinking of putting 4 swivel chairs in front of fireplace with a small table and then the chairs closer to the speakers could be swung toward the speakers but my wife wants a TV between speakers (first I am mentioning this) and that would go infront of window and be really off center as the window is also very off center.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william13 View Post
. . . .We thought of putting chairs facing the far window in front of fire place but that would put the chairs about 15 feet from the speakers and the and not a great view of fireplace. But I will go upstairs tonight and eye ball it again. Thanks
First, in the 12 x 24 room, screw the fireplace. Disregard its presence. I boarded mine up. Place the speakers where you want them. You can use the fireplace as a decoration. You don't need it to heat the house.

Second, I think sitting 15 from the speakers is great. I am not a fan of close listening distances. You could use a sub in any set-up you create.

Third, sitting facing a window as you listen appeals to me esthetically. I like that idea and I have a nice view out back, but don't have that situation. I have to turn my head to the left to look out the windows. You're not going to listen to music facing the fireplace while the fireplace has a noisy, crackling fire, are you?

Forth, as others have stated, slanted ceilings are a mixed blessing. My ceiling is half slanted, and I think it works out very well having a non-parallel wall (ceiling). With all your angles, you might want some other sound absorbers near the peak of the ceiling vault.

Fifth and finally, I would take the 16 x 18 room!
Old 09-06-2012, 04:23 PM

Default fireplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post
First, in the 12 x 24 room, screw the fireplace. Disregard its presence. I boarded mine up. Place the speakers where you want them. You can use the fireplace as a decoration. You don't need it to heat the house.

Second, I think sitting 15 from the speakers is great. I am not a fan of close listening distances. You could use a sub in any set-up you create.

Third, sitting facing a window as you listen appeals to me esthetically. I like that idea and I have a nice view out back, but don't have that situation. I have to turn my head to the left to look out the windows. You're not going to listen to music facing the fireplace while the fireplace has a noisy, crackling fire, are you?

Forth, as others have stated, slanted ceilings are a mixed blessing. My ceiling is half slanted, and I think it works out very well having a non-parallel wall (ceiling). With all your angles, you might want some other sound absorbers near the peak of the ceiling vault.

Fifth and finally, I would take the 16 x 18 room!
So if I take the 16 x18 do I still have to screw the fireplace?: (jk lol)
your thoughts are appreciated.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
So if I take the 16 x18 do I still have to screw the fireplace?: (jk lol)
your thoughts are appreciated.

Really, take the 16 x 18 room.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Bill.......I like to do a lot of late night listening. I notice one set of double doors off the room with the fireplace lead into what looks like your bed room. One set of doors between you and a sleeping wife might not be the best arrangement for controlling ambient sound in the next room when you are in the mood for listening. For this reason alone I would rule out the room with the fireplace. Beyond that consideration, the fireplace room has too many interruptions of floor space with stairwells, nooks to doors, and multiple ceiling angles everywhere the eye can see, none of which lend themselves to a solid sound system set up. This might be a great room for a second pair of small speakers and a Solos wireless streaming component, but my vote is to scrap the gym, and make that room into your dedicated sound room. The tread mill can always go at one end of the fireplace room.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 09-06-2012, 05:44 PM

Default which room

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Bill.......I like to do a lot of late night listening. I notice one set of double doors off the room with the fireplace lead into what looks like your bed room. One set of doors between you and a sleeping wife might not be the best arrangement for controlling ambient sound in the next room when you are in the mood for listening. For this reason alone I would rule out the room with the fireplace. Beyond that consideration, the fireplace room has too many interruptions of floor space with stairwells, nooks to doors, and multiple ceiling angles everywhere the eye can see, none of which lend themselves to a solid sound system set up. This might be a great room for a second pair of small speakers and a Solos wireless streaming component, but my vote is to scrap the gym, and make that room into your dedicated sound room. The tread mill can always go at one end of the fireplace room.
Again these are valid reasons to go to the 16x 18' room. I was told the rectangular rooms (in general) have acoustic advantages over almost square rooms. But you feel the negatives of the "sitting room" out weigh the positives of the gym?
Old 09-06-2012, 05:45 PM

Default 16 x 18'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post

Really, take the 16 x 18 room.
Appreciated!!
Bill
Old 09-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Again these are valid reasons to go to the 16x 18' room. I was told the rectangular rooms (in general) have acoustic advantages over almost square rooms. But you feel the negatives of the "sitting room" out weigh the positives of the gym?
[B]Bill.......[/BThe challenges of the sitting room, and the short comings of the available space to maximize an audio system's performance is greater than the rewards the room will deliver, even with acoustical treatment. A dedicated room is like a clean slate that offers options unavailable in the sitting room. Something else to consider is privacy. When you are enjoying a relaxed listening session with your gear, do you want foot traffic passing through, interruptions, noise from other activities, etc.? A dedicated room minimizes these types of distractions. As I see it, a dedicated room offers all the advantages you want in a sound room with high quality gear, and none of the deterrents of the sitting room. Of course, the bottom line is it's your home and family, so only consider these comments as my opinion.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 09-06-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:28 PM

Default which room

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
[B]Bill.......[/BThe challenges of the sitting room, and the short comings of the available space to maximize an audio system's performance is greater than the rewards the room will deliver, even with acoustical treatment. A dedicated room is like a clean slate that offers options unavailable in the sitting room. Something else to consider is privacy. When you are enjoying a relaxed listening session with your gear, do you want foot traffic passing through, interruptions, noise from other activities, etc.? A dedicated room minimizes these types of distractions. As I see it, a dedicated room offers all the advantages you want in a sound room with high quality gear, and none of the deterrents of the sitting room. Of course, the bottom line is it's your home and family, so only consider these comments as my opinion.
all good points
thanks
bill
Old 09-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Appreciated!!
Bill
+1

Bob

P.S. Yes, I have an agenda here.
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.