AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 12-28-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Meze Audio Empyrean Headphone Review - The New Standard

https://youtu.be/qFF3orWEtZs

Maybe they are “The New Standard” for hairless folks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1609187143.284310.jpg (36.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1251.jpg (27.4 KB, 31 views)
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 12-28-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
I've heard the Orpheus system.
Quite the experience...
I have not had the pleasure but have heard of listeners becoming quite emotional and even shedding tears from being engaged by music on a very different level.
Old 12-28-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfine View Post
Maybe they are “The New Standard” for hairless folks.
Careful Rob, karma can be a real b^itch.
Old 12-28-2020, 05:49 PM

Default Meze Empyrean Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I have not had the pleasure but have heard of listeners becoming quite emotional and even shedding tears from being engaged by music on a very different level.

During a show in the Belgium (probably the one Bart refers to) Sennheiser presented three systems...don’t recall the first two...if I’m not mistaken, one of the 600 range and one of the 800 range, the last being the new Orpheus. You were invited to audition all three systems in sequence. I noticed the representative smiling everytime he handed over the Orpheus...he knew what was about to happen. It is a mind expanding experience...it is an euphonic eargasm...if ever money is no object this is what I would order in the blink of an eye...the music lives in your brain like you never believed possible...yes, believe the hype...if it had been one of my favourite tracks playing...I would have been moved to tears too.

Last edited by JemHadar; 12-28-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-28-2020, 05:58 PM

Had a chance to spend a weekend with the older Orpheus. Can’t imagine what the new one would be like.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 12-28-2020, 06:39 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem666 View Post
During a show in the Netherlands (probably the one Bart refers to) Sennheiser presented three systems...don’t recall the first two...if I’m not mistaken, one of the 600 range and one of the 800 range, the last being the new Orpheus. You were invited to audition all three systems in sequence. I noticed the representative smiling everytime he handed over the Orpheus...he knew what was about to happen. It is a mind expanding experience...it is an euphonic eargasm...if ever money is no object this is what I would order in the blink of an eye...the music lives in your brain like you never believed possible...yes, believe the hype...if it had been one of my favourite tracks playing...I would have been moved to tears too.

Jacques, it was in Brussels ('17).

I post your eloquent impressions:

The Award for “No Brainer If You Can Afford It” goes to the Sennheiser HE1 aka The Orpheus 2.0. It was sharing the stage with a HD800, a HD800S and HD660S (I think), all playing the same track. As I’m in the market for new cans, this was a great opportunity to compare. The 800S is absolutely more my cup of tea than the 800, but the HE1 rules them all. Yes, believe what you read about this marvel, this is not a headphone system, this a “direct brain pleasure centre stimulation dopamine release device”. I’m pretty sure there is some subliminal “euphonics” tube magic going on, but who cares, the experience is overwhelming, intoxicating and addictive. It was fun to see the anticipating looks on the faces of the Sennheiser people, brimming with pride (and rightly so), whenever someone donned the HE1 headset, as they knew what would happen next. And yes, you can add a second headphone to the amp for a measly 25.000 Euro so you can share the magic with a second person. Probably one of the more intense things you can do with your significant other…with your clothes on. Bravo Sennheiser!

Meta and I still laugh when I refer to your naughty post.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 12-28-2020, 06:47 PM
Life is beautiful

And here are my impressions of the Orpheus:

Quote:
Sennheiser

YEAH!!!
I was surprised to find this jewel here.
It was after all quite a modest show.
I was even more surprised we could listen to the thing.

I started with the 800. I know that one and I like it.
The 800s was even a little bit better.

And then came the Orpheus 2...
I was not prepared for this.
Okay, you expect it to be good at 55K, but that heavenly and accurate? No way, ain't possible! And yet, it was.
An Aurender was feeding it the bits, and the Senn transformed them into pure joy.
I could say: I don't know if this is the best sound I've ever heard... But I would be lying to myself.

The Sennheiser guys were friendly and humorous.
Of course they knew 99,9% of the people listening to it on the show will not buy it.
But they said: "Suppose you win the lottery next week, you'll know what to spend it on!"
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 12-28-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Jacques, it was in Brussels ('17).

I post your eloquent impressions:

The Award for “No Brainer If You Can Afford It” goes to the Sennheiser HE1 aka The Orpheus 2.0. It was sharing the stage with a HD800, a HD800S and HD660S (I think), all playing the same track. As I’m in the market for new cans, this was a great opportunity to compare. The 800S is absolutely more my cup of tea than the 800, but the HE1 rules them all. Yes, believe what you read about this marvel, this is not a headphone system, this a “direct brain pleasure centre stimulation dopamine release device”. I’m pretty sure there is some subliminal “euphonics” tube magic going on, but who cares, the experience is overwhelming, intoxicating and addictive. It was fun to see the anticipating looks on the faces of the Sennheiser people, brimming with pride (and rightly so), whenever someone donned the HE1 headset, as they knew what would happen next. And yes, you can add a second headphone to the amp for a measly 25.000 Euro so you can share the magic with a second person. Probably one of the more intense things you can do with your significant other…with your clothes on. Bravo Sennheiser!

Meta and I still laugh when I refer to your naughty post.

Thx Bart...Geez...I’m getting old

The quote in green seems to disappear in the AA app...so here is the original text

Last edited by JemHadar; 12-28-2020 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:45 PM

Ok guys, you asked for it!

Old 12-28-2020, 07:54 PM

Maybe now is a good time to get back on topic [emoji854]

Would love to learn how the Meze compares to the different Audeze LCD 4 iterations.

Last edited by JemHadar; 12-28-2020 at 07:58 PM.