AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-30-2009, 06:20 PM

Ok, now for my initial impressions. I have been listening for about only 1 hour so the first thought is that the MC501's sound different then the MC252. The MC252 is a fantastic amp. and different does not mean necessarily better always, but in this case the MC501's sounds better in certain respects and in other respects it may take some getting used to. The reason I have to get used to the MC501's is that they have a very punchy bass, not bloated or flabby but impossible to ignore. I used to have the bass on my C220 turned up to 2 o'clock, now I have the bass either bypassed or even turned down a little bit. Once you accept the powerful bass the next observation is the sound stage . As with the MC252 the stereo imaging is very impressive, however I will go so far as to say my system sounds like I changed more than just the amp. The sound stage is more 3 dimensional. The sound stage with the MC252 was more 2 dimensional ie left/right/top/bottom. When I say 3 dimensional the sound stage extends to left/top,left/bottom,left/side, right/top,right/bottom/right/side and front/back/left/right. As for detail or resolution the MC501's do not disappoint but are still warm sounding and I have to say the MC252 is the same flavor in this department. I am not quite sure I am a fan of the bass at this point as some music is a bit hard to listen to; this may be due to my room. I notice the background is just as quiet as the MC252 was. So do I need to eat crow..... ? I will say that if you asked me a few days ago if I would hear a major difference my answer would be .. NO. Are a pair of the MC501's worth more than double the price of a MC252? To answer this I have to let the amps. break in a little, give me some more time listening. I can say this, if I were able to get my money back on these MC501's and get my MC252 back I would not do it. These MC501's are staying put for longer than the year the MC252 lived with me. Thanks for putting up with my stubborn skeptical posts. Who know's I might even try some cables next.

Last edited by 1KW; 04-30-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:27 PM

David: 4 hours on the road, unpacking, lifting those heavy weights and cutting and stripping 18 guage lampcord is exhausting so take your time evaluating. 7pm tonight would be a fine time to submit your review. Your babies are home, enjoy them.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:27 PM

Congrats David...

Even though my 501's were broken in my the Master himself, I am still sure that with brand new ones some break in will be needed. Let everything gel and let us know what you hear then.

The Voice of Reason has spoken!
Old 04-30-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post

Hey Dan, did you get a close look at the speaker cable in the pics?
Some folks still swear by door bell wire...
Old 04-30-2009, 06:33 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2uberoller View Post
Who know's I might even try some cables next.
David.......Cables? WOW! Knock me over with a feather.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Merry Christmas to all

David.......I am pleased those 501's are sitting in your room. They will blossom as they break in. There will come a day very soon when you say, "Why did I wait so long". Have a blast my friend. Your system has arrived.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-30-2009, 06:35 PM

Here is a better picture from the side, as you can see the speaker cable is not lamp cord.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (63.4 KB, 262 views)
Old 04-30-2009, 06:36 PM
What?

Great first report, thx for your preliminary thoughts. They look fantastic too.
Unison Research Sinfonia Anniversary. McIntosh D100 > Bluesound Node2i > Tidal. Clearaudio Performance DC. Gold Note PH-10, Gold Note PSU-10. Isol-8 InLine. Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6. Wireworld. Acoustic Zen. Audioquest. Klipsch Cornwall III.

Greg
Old 04-30-2009, 06:39 PM

Glad you are not making all of your decisions based on a an hour or so. Wise man. You may have to do some speaker moving to adjust for the bass.

For kicks, in a few days try it direct from the MCD-500 to your 501's. You may be surprised.

Last edited by Still-One; 04-30-2009 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Can't spell
Old 04-30-2009, 06:39 PM

So yet another few feather are knocked off the hat of a skeptic....

David, sometimes it is just easier to believe those that have more experience and try to steer you in the right direction than go through endless posts of skepticism.

If we can all have a penny for every minute we spent trying to convince you, both here and going back to AK days, we'd have ourselves a great dinner out somewhere.

As far as bass is concerned, that is normal. The 501s will need at least 30-40hrs of break in before the bass tightens up significantly. Before that it is a little flabby. The highs will get smoother after that time as well and the amps will really open up and blossom after 100+ hrs.

Some day you will discover the benefits of great cables as well. I for one will not try to convince you, when you are ready you can simply ask.