AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 02-01-2019, 01:12 AM

The C1100 and D1100 combo was my first McIntosh preamp and I haven’t been let down. If you have the space the C1100 will be sure to impress. Paired a 312 with those Guarneri speakers could be lovely. A C2600 is not a bad option at all, one box and would help save some $$.

If you want to go with tube amps why stop at the 275? What about a pair of 2301s
Old 02-01-2019, 01:21 AM

Default Building my first Mcintosh system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym2000 View Post
Looks like I got a green light from my wife to get the audio system i always wanted in our home library.

Really no budget restraints as long as its not overkill - I started just thinking I can add MA252 with streamer/ DAC and now after being on this forum for a few days I'm looking at c1100 which might be too much. Haha.

I think I would like to get pre/ stereo amp combo but not sure if I want tubes or SS.

My primary source will be streaming Tidal or Cd's. I would love to add turntable at some point in the future.

Looks like people like MC275/ c2600 combo or C52/47 with MC 312/152

The system will be paired with Sonus Faber Guarneri speakers.

Please let me know your thoughts

Hi YM2000,

I went with C47 and MC462 with Sim Moon 260D player, PS Audio DAC, Bluesound Node 2i, B&W 803, PS Audio P10 and enjoying. Your choice of speakers are fabulous. Have been contemplating Sonus Faber.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:21 AM

Here are some pairings and suggestions with my rationale for each.

High end tube system:
C 1100 Preamp and 2 x MC 2301 300W monoblocks. In my opinion this is McIntosh's best sounding, most capable setup. Full disclosure I'm prejudiced because I own these pieces. Just fantastic; clean, fast, ultra quiet. There is something special about these pieces that sets them apart.

Hybrid tube/solid state, smaller footprint:
C1100 and MC 452 power amp make a great combination. I have a friend running this pair and it is an awesome setup. Lots of power, effortless presentation throughout the audio range.

Hybrid tube/solid state, two box solution:
C 2600 and MC 452 - this pairs McIntosh's single box tube preamp with a great power amp - this would be a very good match for your speakers. You also get a very good DAC in the mix.

The MC 452 is still on the website, but will be eventually replaced by the MC 462.

Single box solution:
MA 9000. Make no mistake this is a world class integrated amplifier with gobs of power, a great phono section, and plenty of flexibility for any setup. Saves space while giving you great all solid state sound.

Other more idiosyncratic choices:
Any McIntosh preamp paired with the MC 275 VI. The MC 275VI has a sound of its own. It is far from neutral but still very pleasing - except if your listening habits lean towards large scale classical works, where it falls apart on loud, complex passages. I own a C2300 (not on the list, out of production) and an MC 275V and they make a great combo, super vocals, not fatiguing at all, like wearing a pair of your most comfortable blue jeans.

Not on my list, yet:

70th Anniversary system - C 70 and MC 2152. Idiosyncratic appearance, no meters, power amp is a new concept, not yet reviewed. A slight departure from the classic McIntosh look, I like the overall setup and appearance. Too new for me to recommend, but some luck folks here have purchased the set so we'll get some good feedback soon.

MA 252 - several people have had hum issues with their MA 252's - very unusual for a McIntosh amplifier and enough for me to stay away, at least for now.

While there are other power amp possibilities, stick with the Quad Balanced models. They represent McIntosh's best engineering and most advanced power amp circuitry to date:
MC 1.25 kW
MC 2301
MC 611
MC 601
MC 462
MC 452
MC 301

Happy hunting!
Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v

Last edited by W9TR; 02-01-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:38 PM

Thank you so much for taking the time to suggest and then explain your recommendations! So helpful. C1100 will put me just outside of my budget for now despite the fact I continue looking at it every night, hahaha.

Im beginning to finalize my A/B choices.
I originally really really wanted to have MC275 VI and pairing it with c2600 sounds like a great idea ( also was recommended this by SF dealers).
Now because of all the recommendations I also added C2600 / 452 combo closely followed by c52/ 452 pairing.

Since my taste in music ranges from 70's to current with almost 80% being modern digital music of last 10 years ( streaming Tidal as a source and probably no CD) - will any of those combos benefit more than the other? I'm planning to add vinyl but not right away so it wont be a decision maker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Here are some pairings and suggestions with my rationale for each.

High end tube system:
C 1100 Preamp and 2 x MC 2301 300W monoblocks. In my opinion this is McIntosh's best sounding, most capable setup. Full disclosure I'm prejudiced because I own these pieces. Just fantastic; clean, fast, ultra quiet. There is something special about these pieces that sets them apart.

Hybrid tube/solid state, smaller footprint:
C1100 and MC 452 power amp make a great combination. I have a friend running this pair and it is an awesome setup. Lots of power, effortless presentation throughout the audio range.

Hybrid tube/solid state, two box solution:
C 2600 and MC 452 - this pairs McIntosh's single box tube preamp with a great power amp - this would be a very good match for your speakers. You also get a very good DAC in the mix.

The MC 452 is still on the website, but will be eventually replaced by the MC 462.

Single box solution:
MA 9000. Make no mistake this is a world class integrated amplifier with gobs of power, a great phono section, and plenty of flexibility for any setup. Saves space while giving you great all solid state sound.

Other more idiosyncratic choices:
Any McIntosh preamp paired with the MC 275 VI. The MC 275VI has a sound of its own. It is far from neutral but still very pleasing - except if your listening habits lean towards large scale classical works, where it falls apart on loud, complex passages. I own a C2300 (not on the list, out of production) and an MC 275V and they make a great combo, super vocals, not fatiguing at all, like wearing a pair of your most comfortable blue jeans.

Not on my list, yet:

70th Anniversary system - C 70 and MC 2152. Idiosyncratic appearance, no meters, power amp is a new concept, not yet reviewed. A slight departure from the classic McIntosh look, I like the overall setup and appearance. Too new for me to recommend, but some luck folks here have purchased the set so we'll get some good feedback soon.

MA 252 - several people have had hum issues with their MA 252's - very unusual for a McIntosh amplifier and enough for me to stay away, at least for now.

While there are other power amp possibilities, stick with the Quad Balanced models. They represent McIntosh's best engineering and most advanced power amp circuitry to date:
MC 1.25 kW
MC 2301
MC 611
MC 601
MC 462
MC 452
MC 301

Happy hunting!
Tom
Old 02-01-2019, 01:32 PM
Racing Hoopties

I had both a MC452 and a MC275VI and did a good amount of listening to both. At the time, I was using a C2300 pre.

I found the MC275VI to provide just a little sweeter midrange which showed on female voices. However, if I was making the choice again, I would buy the MC452. It provides almost the same amount of air and midrange sweetness with much better slam and dynamics.

This was with my Sonus Faber Strads.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 02-01-2019, 03:16 PM

Welcome! My first Mc system is in my signature, very similar to what you're thinking.

Difficult to go wrong here, but I beg you to get into your car and drive to a dealer--Natural Sound in Framingham, MA is just a day trip away. (Call ahead and ask for Mark.) Even though virtually all of the components already mentioned in this thread are very strong, 2-3 hours in their demo room is the difference between a really good system and one that will give you goosebumps. Good luck!
Old 02-01-2019, 08:38 PM

If space is a concern, consider one of the integrated units (amp & pre-amp in one box), such as the MA6700 or newer. These are excellent machines with a digital to analog converter built in for that digital music.

The pre-amp section has all the inputs you would ever need including a pair of balanced XLR connections for input from a source that has balanced outputs, such as an external DAC if you want to add one of those to the system later.

The amplifier section, as with most all other McIntosh amplifiers of the integrated or individual type, is powerful with a very lush mid-range, a detailed upper range and it has full control of the bass. These are a very detailed and precise amplifier.

You had asked what combo would work best with certain types of music. I don't wish to sound simplistic but McIntosh treats all music the same and presents the music just as the artist intended. Being precise they definitely won't hide the shortcomings of a poor source. However, on the other hand, a good source virtually shines when played on a McIntosh.

What Sonus Faber Guarneri speakers do you currently have?

Good luck with your search.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
Welcome! My first Mc system is in my signature, very similar to what you're thinking.

Difficult to go wrong here, but I beg you to get into your car and drive to a dealer--Natural Sound in Framingham, MA is just a day trip away. (Call ahead and ask for Mark.) Even though virtually all of the components already mentioned in this thread are very strong, 2-3 hours in their demo room is the difference between a really good system and one that will give you goosebumps. Good luck!
Thank you so much for advice! I set up appointment with them for next week. They actually have c2600 with mc275 combo already set up.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
If space is a concern, consider one of the integrated units (amp & pre-amp in one box), such as the MA6700 or newer. These are excellent machines with a digital to analog converter built in for that digital music.

The pre-amp section has all the inputs you would ever need including a pair of balanced XLR connections for input from a source that has balanced outputs, such as an external DAC if you want to add one of those to the system later.

The amplifier section, as with most all other McIntosh amplifiers of the integrated or individual type, is powerful with a very lush mid-range, a detailed upper range and it has full control of the bass. These are a very detailed and precise amplifier.

You had asked what combo would work best with certain types of music. I don't wish to sound simplistic but McIntosh treats all music the same and presents the music just as the artist intended. Being precise they definitely won't hide the shortcomings of a poor source. However, on the other hand, a good source virtually shines when played on a McIntosh.

What Sonus Faber Guarneri speakers do you currently have?

Good luck with your search.
Thank you!
I’m narrowed down to Guarneri Traditions. I don’t think I have enough space for floor standing speakers.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym2000 View Post
Thank you so much for advice! I set up appointment with them for next week. They actually have c2600 with mc275 combo already set up.
Excellent! I'm pretty sure they have your speakers too. Tell Mark that Peter G. says hello