AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 05-14-2016, 05:21 AM

Default Rega Apheta 2 Loading

This thread is to discuss the loading of the Rega Apheta 2 specifically. Rega recommends 100 Ohms. The reason I am starting this thread is because it seems to be common knowledge with the first generation Apheta that it sounded best below the recommended 100 at 50 or even 30 Ohms. Apparently, the Apheta 2 is much improved from the original, but there are really no reviews or anything else I can find out there about the Apheta 2 specifically with regards to loading.

So, if you are rocking an Apheta 2, I want to hear from you! What is your preferred loading and why?
Old 05-14-2016, 06:57 AM

I am getting my RP8/Apheta 2 next weekend. I will update with my findings.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:10 AM

Lurking here. Have a Sumiko Pearwood on my P9 now but have been thinking about trying the Apheta 2 or the new Aphelion, will be interested in your findings.

Tony
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 05-14-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Lurking here. Have a Sumiko Pearwood on my P9 now but have been thinking about trying the Apheta 2 or the new Aphelion, will be interested in your findings.

Tony
I cannot wait. I think and hope that the synergy would pay dividends.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
I am getting my RP8/Apheta 2 next weekend. I will update with my findings.
Hey Doug,

I was curious about how you set up your RP10 / Apheta 2. Any updates for us?
Old 05-27-2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_corleone View Post
Hey Doug,

I was curious about how you set up your RP10 / Apheta 2. Any updates for us?
My dealer made a mistake and delivered the RP8 with the Apheta 1 Cart instead of the Apheta 2. I was not impressed!!The Apheta 2 will be arriving in about 3 weeks. The plus side is that I would be able to compare the 2 versions, which should be interesting.

I have decided to go with the Rega Aria phono stage, and what an amazing stage for the money. The Apheta 1 is loaded at recommended settings, 100 ohm, gain 69.3 db, and capacitance of 1000Pf, and sounding rather wonderful

I have been spinning LP's non-stop and I am simply blown away by the RP8 / Apheta1. The combo is a major step up from my GYRO SE / Benz Gullwing which frankly surprises me. It majors on excitement, drive, and speed. Music sounds thrilling and involving. Bass is unbelievable! Everything is still running-in and I will update once it had settled. I would say the Rega combo is probably a little colourful but in a good way. Setting up is a breeze and the 3 point cartridge mounting is very clever. I am still fine tuning and will be buying a tracking force gauge today that can read to 2 decimal places, my current gauge only read to 1 decimal place. I want to set tracking force to exactly 1.75. I cannot wait to get the Apheta 2 as it is apparently a bit of a step up. Last night I listened to my digital player for the first time in a week, and it sounded thin and anemic by comparison. Vinyl done right is a magic thing indeed.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:23 PM

The Apheta 1 is very sensitive to tracking force. I will find out and report in due course if this applies to Apehta 2 as well. Bass is bloated at a tracking force of 1.84, but solid, weighty and tight at 1.76. The 100ohm load seems fine. There is not a hint of brightness.

I just had the most incredible listening session in years, 45RPM MOFI of Dylan's The Freewheeling, and 45RPM Blue Note, Art Blakey, and the Jazz Messengers. Moaning. Simply heaven
Old 05-28-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
The Apheta 1 is very sensitive to tracking force. I will find out and report in due course if this applies to Apehta 2 as well. Bass is bloated at a tracking force of 1.84, but solid, weighty and tight at 1.76. The 100ohm load seems fine. There is not a hint of brightness. I just had the most incredible listening session in years, 45RPM MOFI of Dylan's The Freewheeling, and 45RPM Blue Note, Art Blakey, and the Jazz Messengers. Moaning. Simply heaven
It seems a but odd that the Apheta 2 says 1.75 - 2.0 grams. I would appreciate if they narrowed it down. I set mine at 1.85 per a review from the apheta 1 and have not messed with it
Old 05-28-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_corleone View Post
It seems a but odd that the Apheta 2 says 1.75 - 2.0 grams. I would appreciate if they narrowed it down. I set mine at 1.85 per a review from the apheta 1 and have not messed with it
Conversely, the manual for Apheta 1 simply state 1.75. It does not suggest a range.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:08 PM

I am also interested to hear what you decide on for your tracking force. I was initially around 1.8 and have moved to 1.9g today. This was a result of experiments its the hifi new test LP.

When doing the first two anti skating tests on side 1 I had to nudge my tracking force up to 1.9 to get it to play OK. The manual of the RP10 itself also says to use the higher range of the manufacturer recommendation. I am not sure if this is where it will stay, but that is wher I am experimenting right now.