AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 08-09-2023, 01:18 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricboogaloo View Post
Charles, your matching using interconnects and tweaks sounds fascinating! So incredible to be able to hone sound in this way! I will post pics!
Please do!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 08-12-2023, 06:47 PM

IMG_4509.jpeg

IMG_4510.jpg
Speakers: Magico M2; Magico S-Subs; Amp: Boulder 1160; Pre-amp: Pass XP-32; Phono Amp: Moon 610; TT: VPI HW40 Anniversary Direct;w/VPI Fatboy 12; Cartridge: Ortofon MC Diamond; SACD: Esoteric; DAC: dCS Barok; Conditioners: Shunyata; Cables Nordost/Transparent
Old 08-18-2023, 11:57 AM

Electric, beautiful system. You have the classic top line system that employs a different extremely high quality piece of gear for power amp/pre/digital, etc. I would comment that the weak part of your system is the Sonus Faber Amati Tradition speaker. It is an excellent 30K speaker but comparatively, it is far below the quality of the rest of your gear. The 601 that you traded was not even in the same ballpark. It is 100% predictable that the Boulder would outperform the 601 in your system. A SF Lilium at 65K would markedly improve your sound and I think would be compatible with your room.

I'm going to change subjects. Let's take my system as an example. I have a reference all Mac system so I have excellent synergy among all my gear. My gear is better than the C-1000 pre and MCD 1000 CD transport and MDA 1000 DAC which received one of the best reviews ever in Stereophile. These components laid the foundation for all Mac gear since then. The current Mac reference system will outperform these coveted components by a wide margin.

So if I removed all my Mac gear and replaced them with reference Dag or Boulder how much better would it sound through my XVX? My Wel Signature cables are superb. For a completely fair comparison, I would get to use with my Mac's my AQ Niagara 7000 for my sources and 5000's for my amps and Dragon power cords for all my gear, whereas with the Boulder and Dag they would be using there own factory supplied cords straight into the wall 20 amp line.

Or you could go with a pick and choose as you have done using ARC or Pass or Moon or dCS or Esoteric. My XVX is the absolute reference among loudspeakers. I can tell you for multiple reasons I'll just stick with my Mac reference gear. None of you have ever heard a truly high powered Mac tube amp like the 3500 paired with an XVX. Renowned audio engineer Ron Evans of McIntosh was brought in out of retirement to design the 3500. He worked over 2 years on its design. I'll just say at this point that Mac makes the best transformers by a wide margin than any other manufacturer of transformers in the world and they have the best circuit in the unity coupled circuit. Mac tube gear always greatly exceeds its published specs by a wide margin. Read the recent Stereophile review of the of the ARC I-50. It doesn't meet its published specs by a significant margin, achieving only 44 watts in 8 ohms at 1% distortion. My sound is highly detailed/resolved and neutral. It is not the sweet low resolution sound you have imagined. I can't over emphasize this fact enough. A Boulder or Dag reference system will be neutral with my XVX. The question will be one of ultimate resolution, soundstage, and bass.

I would put both the Boulder and Dag slightly ahead of my Mac reference system in terms of resolution, soundstage, and bass with an appropriate digital source like Esoteric or dCS but not by much. If I had to choose between Boulder and Dag, it would be Boulder but not by much. It means almost nothing as far as I am concerned to remove a 601 and replace it with a 36K Boulder and then deduce that Boulder is superior to Mac because the bass was tighter, the detail was much greater and the soundstage was much improved. It's like saying that I replaced my Traditions with an Alexia V and concluding that Wilson is better than Sonus Faber.

There's not an ARC amp that I would remotely trade for my 3500 under any set of circumstances that I can imagine in my system.

Best

Charles

Charles Updated System: Wilson McIntosh Audioquest

Amps: McIntosh MC3500MKII (2); McIntosh MC1.25KW (2); MC2.1KW An (1)
Preamp: C-12000 An
Sources: MCD12000 An; MVP881; MVP851; MR87; Marantz 510LV; ASUS laptop
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Chronosonic XVX
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1); Wilson ActivXO Stereo Electronic Crossover
Cables main system: Audioquest WEL Signature speaker cables; balanced IC (preamp to main amps); WEL Signature digital coaxial cable for MVP 881/MCD12000; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for MVP 851 DVD player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Audioquest Diamond USB cable; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for MR87 tuner
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC; Wind balanced IC from preamp to ActivXO; Hurricane HC (3); Hurricane Source (1); Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines.
Isolation: Wilson Pedestals; Bassocontinuo McIntosh Ultra Feet; X-material plinth
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD)
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes

Last edited by Charles; 08-18-2023 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-22-2023, 10:21 AM

Thank you for your thoughtful and impassioned reply. Your system and the thought and care you have put into every aspect sounds fantastic! I agree with you that my Sonus Faber Amati’s WERE my weak link. This past weekend I replaced with the Magico M2s. Wow. What a difference. With all my changes, though often more expensive, I don’t really consider them upgrades….just moving to a different sound. My Mac - Sonus Faber system was wonderfully satisfying. I love my new system too. The detail, openness, bass tightness, imaging and lifelike musical feel is really enjoyable for me. But as stated, it’s just different than my past system….I also love the Mac sound….prior to the 601s I had the 275 iv biamped with an mc252 on the bottom. Loved it. And my dear friend has a pair of the hybrid 901s which are stunning. I really enjoy listening to the various interpretations of music by so many great high end manufacturers!
Speakers: Magico M2; Magico S-Subs; Amp: Boulder 1160; Pre-amp: Pass XP-32; Phono Amp: Moon 610; TT: VPI HW40 Anniversary Direct;w/VPI Fatboy 12; Cartridge: Ortofon MC Diamond; SACD: Esoteric; DAC: dCS Barok; Conditioners: Shunyata; Cables Nordost/Transparent
Old 08-24-2023, 09:27 AM

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hU4SPHf7C9ZP1EjK8
Old 08-24-2023, 09:28 AM

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DJZb3FYEuKJA4n5b8
Old 08-24-2023, 10:55 AM

Old 08-25-2023, 09:41 PM
George

Charles,

You are completely enamored with the system you chose to suit your values. But you need to understand, those are your values, not mine or many other people. Glad you found your ultimate system. It is not mine… not because I am stupid or have not heard anything better.. but because I value a very different sound.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.

Last edited by George Prentice; 08-26-2023 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-26-2023, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricboogaloo View Post
When I began to invest more in my audiophile passion I was romanced by the warm and sweet sound of McIntosh. For 20 years I nurtured the warm musicality with Sonus Faber and Koetsu. As I possessed so many mediocre recordings, the forgiving nature of these brands was marvelous. Fast forward and my record collection has become largely audiophile quality. I decided to tinker with my system and add some more detailed and energetic components. This has been a wonderfully delightful exercise in matching…..I was a bit nervous as I settled on 3 different brands of amplification across phone amp, pre, amp…..and added a far more detailed cartridge. Certainly not stating that is have upgraded but more changed out components. But, for the moment, the new energy is satisfying. This was an extreme makeover. It did help me to be less conservative in equipment matching….and I do feel closer to the music.
You have managed to put all of that high end equipment in a poorly designed room. It’s something that I can not overemphasize. Treat the room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2198.jpeg (1.20 MB, 29 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2186.jpeg (2.24 MB, 27 views)
Old 08-26-2023, 11:41 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcardave View Post
You have managed to put all of that high end equipment in a poorly designed room. It’s something that I can not overemphasize. Treat the room.
In your opinion…

When posting on AA, please ask yourself first;

Is it kind?
Is it necessary?
Is it true?

Thank you!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES