Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 07-02-2012, 01:05 PM

Default Bryston BIT

Sent: July-02-12 12:59 PM
To: James Tanner
Subject: BIT 15

Hello, James.

I just wanted to let you know that I got a BIT 15 from Rick at Audio Alternative in Ft. Collins for trial and I love it! It's now a permanent part of my system. It's amazing (to me) how much quieter the system is! And can you guess where I found the most improvement? Playing l.p.s! The background is quieter and most l.p.s sound much better. I've listened to every source I have hooked up and everything sounds better: cds (played through the BDA-1, naturally), l.p.s, digital files (played with the BDP-1) and even tape!

I'm very pleased with the improvements I hear and I just wanted to let you know.

Terry
Colorado

http://bryston.com/products/other/BIT5.html
Old 09-08-2012, 06:17 PM

Do you run your amp through it? I am presently using a better than average powerbar, but that is exactly what it is, not sure what it does to the sound as I have no way to compare, but I would guess it is not helping sonically and I am betting it is going to save my system if there is an electrical problem.

Kevin
Old 12-11-2012, 02:58 AM

Hi James.

Is there any difference in SQ with the Bit-20 with surge protection vs without?
I'm currentlly running a Shunyata Hydra original model, which doesn't really do surge protection. Makes me a little nervous.

So I'm looking at the 20 amp BIT with surge protection, just don't want to give up that audio quality.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:52 AM

guaranteed your audio quality will go up,that I can testify to.
I had the hydra 6(for components) and I believe 4 hydra 2's for my amps.
With dedicated lines so nothing was hurting for power.
Plus all python helixes and anaconda helixes for 11-12 pcs of gear and on the hydras,at that time I was using 3X7bsst's and two 4Bsst's+2XDD-15 subs.
I auditioned a 15a(balanced Torus)240v,I had it rigged on two outlets(in phase )to give me 240v from two outlets.
The hydras and Torus seemed basically the same neutral or just okay now what.
Then I brought home a 20a Torus and split the amps up,then it was WTF,I had to turn everything down as the bottom end was so.......,I had a few descriptive sentences back then.
Authoritative bottom end(more like a live event)hard to describe,huge dynamics up the ying yang and effortless.
I believe the 15a got stressed out with no relief in site until that 20a helped with the load and then things just jumped out musically,authoritative ect.
I found with the other conditioners that I think I can hear what its doing or your trying to hear what its doing.
With the Torus IT IS and you will hear it,musical it is as if getting more intimate with the music itself.
Very important to get the right size Torus for your gear as my attempt with the 15a just wasn't enough.
As someone told me after my reaction by adding the other Torus to help the amps,you have discovered as I have that having gobs of power in reserve for the amps makes a huge difference.
And it sure does as now I have three Torus as I had upgraded the 7's to 28's ect and I use a 20a for my sub(1812) as I blew two F-113's by not having them plugged into the Torus,the other two F-113's were and no problem.
I got the F-113's after I sold the DD's.
Both Torus and hydras were on their own dedicated lines so they all were well fed.
Torus(s)have stayed and they always will unless they come out with something better.
They offer lots for the music and protection that is superb as I have witnessed first hand.
Their quite dramatic compared to what Ive used before and I've had these for quite awhile now and they are not leaving my room as I haven't heard better musically.
Nothing negative about them at all,perhaps a tad heavy,but its the music were after after all.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummermitchell View Post
guaranteed your audio quality will go up,that I can testify to.
I had the hydra 6(for components) and I believe 4 hydra 2's for my amps.
With dedicated lines so nothing was hurting for power.
Plus all python helixes and anaconda helixes for 11-12 pcs of gear and on the hydras,at that time I was using 3X7bsst's and two 4Bsst's+2XDD-15 subs.
I auditioned a 15a(balanced Torus)240v,I had it rigged on two outlets(in phase )to give me 240v from two outlets.
The hydras and Torus seemed basically the same neutral or just okay now what.
Then I brought home a 20a Torus and split the amps up,then it was WTF,I had to turn everything down as the bottom end was so.......,I had a few descriptive sentences back then.
Authoritative bottom end(more like a live event)hard to describe,huge dynamics up the ying yang and effortless.
I believe the 15a got stressed out with no relief in site until that 20a helped with the load and then things just jumped out musically,authoritative ect.
I found with the other conditioners that I think I can hear what its doing or your trying to hear what its doing.
With the Torus IT IS and you will hear it,musical it is as if getting more intimate with the music itself.
Very important to get the right size Torus for your gear as my attempt with the 15a just wasn't enough.
As someone told me after my reaction by adding the other Torus to help the amps,you have discovered as I have that having gobs of power in reserve for the amps makes a huge difference.
And it sure does as now I have three Torus as I had upgraded the 7's to 28's ect and I use a 20a for my sub(1812) as I blew two F-113's by not having them plugged into the Torus,the other two F-113's were and no problem.
I got the F-113's after I sold the DD's.
Both Torus and hydras were on their own dedicated lines so they all were well fed.
Torus(s)have stayed and they always will unless they come out with something better.
They offer lots for the music and protection that is superb as I have witnessed first hand.
Their quite dramatic compared to what Ive used before and I've had these for quite awhile now and they are not leaving my room as I haven't heard better musically.
Nothing negative about them at all,perhaps a tad heavy,but its the music were after after all.

Sounds like you have quite the system...congrats! Mine's a litle more modest, but it does make me smile.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
Hi James.

Is there any difference in SQ with the Bit-20 with surge protection vs without?
I'm currentlly running a Shunyata Hydra original model, which doesn't really do surge protection. Makes me a little nervous.

So I'm looking at the 20 amp BIT with surge protection, just don't want to give up that audio quality.

No downside to the surge protection as it is not in the circuit unless there is a surge.

james
Old 12-19-2012, 04:28 PM

How warm do these units (BIT 20) get?

Bryston's PDF suggest 1" clearance top, bottom, and sides?

Is this adequate?
Old 12-19-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
How warm do these units (BIT 20) get?

Bryston's PDF suggest 1" clearance top, bottom, and sides?

Is this adequate?
Hi Dave

It does not get very warm at all.

james
Old 12-19-2012, 05:15 PM

Thanks James.

That's good to hear. It makes my decision easier, and makes designing a new entertainmnent center easier as well
Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 PM

Well, I'm loving my SP3, still waiting on my BDP-1, and just ordered a BIT-20.

All silver, 17", blue LED.