AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 02-26-2014, 08:50 PM

One thing is for sure, the market is more competitive then it's ever been so expectations are going to be high!
Old 02-26-2014, 09:06 PM

If B&W were to go the Raidho route with the mid range there would be a huge price jump across the board.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:28 PM

I took delivery of my 800D when they first came out, its has to be almost 8 years now, still very pleased with them, look fantastic. One needs to truly look at them closely to appreciate all the quality, material that goes into them and how solid they are.

I would like to see them take a major step forward in technology and appearance.

A company such as B&W could do a major revamp of the 800D with say a price increase of $3000 to 5k passed over all the units they sell.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
Call me a doubting Thomas on this one. With the 800 series essentially being their flagship speakers I just can't see them doing a soft launch. New 800 series are typically flaunted in advance at shows like CEDIA or CES.
Ok, granted, but why would kamiraa's friend (who also happens to be a dealer) lie to him? If you say he wants to make a sale well he can do so by selling the current model and keeping quiet about a new model being released soon.

Last edited by Dave_72; 02-26-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:09 PM

My dealer has just advised me that no new 800 series on the horizon and that it's just a rumour.

Anyone got anything more substantial?
Trevor's Home Theatre: McIntosh MX121, McIntosh MC601, McIntosh MC207, McIntosh MLD7020, OPPO BDP95, JVC DLA950, Stewert Screen Studio Tek 130G3, B&W 802D2, B&W HTM2D2, B&W DS8, Klipsch KL 525, Velodyne DD15, WireWorld & IsoTek Cables

Old 02-27-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_72 View Post
Ok, granted, but why would kamiraa's friend (who also happens to be a dealer) lie to him? If you say he wants to make a sale well he can do so by selling the current model and keeping quiet about a new model being released soon.
I would want verifiable proof that's all. Not a he said/she said. But his friend never said when exactly they were coming so like was mentioned with CEDIA being 6 months away, a soft retirirng of the current line starting now could in theory lead to an unveiling of a new series in September with shipments to start shortly after. I would find it unlikely if they were not coming until next year that this type of information would start to be whispered to dealers so early on about moving their stock.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
I would find it unlikely if they were not coming until next year that this type of information would start to be whispered to dealers so early on about moving their stock.
I think it would be likely that they would start to whisper this information to dealers, they don't want dealers to get burned with a bunch of new old stock inventory.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redm View Post
I think it would be likely that they would start to whisper this information to dealers, they don't want dealers to get burned with a bunch of new old stock inventory.
I think you hit the nail on the head.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:39 AM

I can understand that but if that was the case why wouldn't this be the case for all dealers? I have a great relationship with mine but this was news to him. He's always been very reliant when new info about products surface. I suppose it's possible B&W might be taking into account how much current inventory each dealer has in stock when divulging this info.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:51 AM

I did a little research, 1998 was the year they launched the Nautilus 800 line, and to this day has the same physical appearance (tweeter on top of the Marlen head).

1993 was the launch of the Nautilus with the separate tube enclosures for each driver.

Has anyone ever listened to the Nautilus ?

Any thoughts on would any of that speaker's technology ever trickle down to the 800 series ?