B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

View Poll Results: 800d or 802 diamond
800d (previous generation, d1) 19 29.23%
802 diamond (current generation, d2) 46 70.77%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariess View Post
So is the 802Di really not harder to drive than the 804Di?
The 802D2 is not any harder to drive than the 804D2. This means for the same amount of input power the 804D2 and 802D2 will produce about the same level of sound pressure. But the 804D2 does present a slightly more difficult load to drive than the 802D2. This means the amplifier will need to supply more current during peak dissipation frequencies given the same amplitude (volume).
Old 09-10-2013, 07:07 PM

I voted for previous gen 800D, that's what I did. Including the 6 hour drive each way... powered by K-03, C2300 and 501's.

These are both going to be used speakers once you get them, and both will be superseded at some point soon - the relative discount on the 800D's is significant. If you can find a minty pair, that's probably money well spent.

I personaly don't like the look of the new 802's - the 800D plinth and scale just works for me aesthetically. And as mentioned previously, the new silvery driver trim is garish by comparison.

They both sound fine, to me.

In a large room, a perfect set of 800D's at the used price was a no brainer.

Cheers!

Matt

Last edited by Matt Lan; 09-10-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:59 AM

Hallo Matt Lane,

the 800d "one - old serie?!?) is a great speaker but the 802di (actually version) sound very fine too.

Quote:
I personaly don't like the look of the new 802's - the 800D plinth and scale just works for me aesthetically. And as mentioned previously, the new silvery driver trim is garish by comparison.
I buy the sound not the look.
I dont know how much is your room (in m2) but the 802di is enough for all "home room" and with "new silvery driver trim is garish" make for my persanol taste in design part a speaker with fashion!

OT: I love B&W. my speaker for more 20years ow I can say that a Focal Utopia Scala can be a very surprise in place of the 802di.

style
Old 09-11-2013, 08:13 AM

I have another question, how does a mint Nautilus 800 compare to 800d or 802 diamond? Is that too out of league?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:58 AM

No, not out of league, more like a different team. The N800 loses some time coherence, is a little more chesty in the presence region but is a little less forward on the top end. Bass is about the same. A fine speaker that tips the scales a little to the warm side of neutral.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidho View Post
Although people are reluctant to admit it, high styling (like that style ) is just as important as high performance. We see our speakers as furniture and far more often than we hear them. Looks matter and sometimes in a very big and very expensive way.

Last edited by RebelMan; 09-11-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelMan View Post
No, not out of league, more like a different team. The N800 loses some time coherence, is a little more chesty in the presence region but is a little less forward on the top end. Bass is about the same. A fine speaker that tips the scales a little to the warm side of neutral.
Thank you. I have a N800 since 2003, even if I replaced almost all of the gear 1-2 times in last 10 years, I could not touch to N800 as I really like the sound. Perhaps it is time as 2 newer generations arrived.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Although people are reluctant to admit it, high styling (like that style ) is just as important as high performance. We see our speakers as furniture and far more often than we hear them. Looks matter and sometimes in a very big and very expensive way.
Very true. I have never been an 801 fan so given the choice of a 802 or 801 for the same price, I'm talking previous generation diamonds obviously as the 801 is no longer produced, I would without hesitation take the 802's even knowing the 801's are better. There is no way I could live with the looks of the 801's in my room.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:57 PM

Radiho, appreciate your post. I know it's tough getting some of these points across, but I understand! My room is approx 20' X 25'. We'll be in a larger space at some point soon and the 800's will do just fine!

You're right - they both sound good, and the the aesthetics are really a personal preference.

But as posted by others above, they cannot be ignored. For cheap HT boxes, sure, but not front and center in a well designed living space.

Cheers!

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidho View Post
Hallo Matt Lane,

the 800d "one - old serie?!?) is a great speaker but the 802di (actually version) sound very fine too.

I dont know how much is your room (in m2) but the 802di is enough for all "home room" and with "new silvery driver trim is garish" make for my persanol taste in design part a speaker with fashion!

OT: I love B&W. my speaker for more 20years ow I can say that a Focal Utopia Scala can be a very surprise in place of the 802di.

style
Old 09-12-2013, 10:24 PM

I am sure that I won't go wrong with both speakers.
Aesthetics are a personal preference.
Which one sounds better? At end, it might be a personal preference as well.

Quote:
800D has a mid to lower presence region that is more open and bass output that is more linear. The 800D is also more accurate throughout the audible range and exhibits overall better balance. For a mint condition pair at a lower price tag than the 802D2, the 800D is without question the better buy.
After reading your valuable input, reading the reviews and the forums, I think I am going to go with 800D1 for the following 2 reasons.
1. I can purchase a brand new pair of 802D2 from a local dealer any time I want. However, a used pair of 800D1 in mint condition is not so easy to find.
2. Big saving on the used 800D1 compare to the new price at the time. It's like buying a used BMW 7 series or Mercedes-Benz S Class. A better buy.

Last edited by Black Tang; 09-12-2013 at 10:32 PM.