AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 02-13-2012, 07:03 PM

Default Friend convinced to buy Emotiva amps

Hello everyone--need a little quick help

I have a younger friend that is trying to improve the sound qulaity of his Home Theatre system. He currently is using a Denon 3803 to power it. He is considering using outboard amplification and the plan is to continue using the Denon as a preamp--all of which I agree would help it sound better. He is set on buying "Emotiva" based on his budget and after reading some positive reviews within the last week he has his mind made up. I personally don't have anything against Emotiva--have not read any reviews nor have I heard the amps in person. I have tried to steer him towards McIntosh or Bryston. Your feedback would be much appreciated on advice or suggestions for him. Thanks.
Main system: B&W 802 Diamond, McIntosh MC 601 x2 , J L Audio F113 x2 w/Sound Anchor stands, McIntosh C2300 w/Gold Lion 12AX7s , OPPO BDP95, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6 Balanced ICs,PCs, bi-wired speaker cables. Sennheiser HD600, Rega P5 TT w/PSU, Running Springs "Dimitri" power conditioner, ASC 13" traps, and Dynavector 20xl MC cart.Manley Chinook phonostage.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:12 PM

It's not going to improve his sound any but if he wants a McIntosh look at Onkyo prices he should be happy with the look.

As to the reviews, sometimes their products work and when they don't they just give you a new one (as long as they stay in business) so again, let him be happy. It won't hurt him any.

Last edited by eljr; 02-13-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:38 PM

Their XPA amps sound ok, but I found the soundstage on the small side compared to other amps I heard in the same room(not mine).

For something between Emo and Mac(price wise) tell him to check out this unit: MINI MC 5 CH (MMC-5) - Multi-Channel Amplifiers - DAC 2 Digital, High Definition Amplifiers, Stereo Pre Amp Audio Equip IMO, it will be a step up from Emo and even Mac's(non-autoformer) multi-channel amps.

HT: Marantz AV7005, W4S Mini MC-5, Custom Waveguide Towers, SVSPB12-Plus/2
Old 02-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Learning to Listen

Yeah, it seems to me that there is a huge difference in price points between the two (Emo vs. McIntosh or Bryston), so there must be a budget constraint, and that alone will dictate which direction he goes.

And, if it's HT and not 2-channel, then high end audio is not necessarily the issue, so why not go for something like a NAD 757, which carries a price tag greater than the Emo's but not nearly that of the others, and would deliver the goods. Or even a high end Marantz, which can be had used for under $1,000. I'm not sure if Ivan has one for sale still, but he used to. Have him join AA to look for good deals as well. Heck, I'll sell him my 2004 B&K 507, a very powerful and musical unit, for a good price, below that of the Emo's, but it lacks HDMI.

I like what eljr said: "...let him be happy."

Old 02-13-2012, 08:22 PM

Just curious, what speakers does he plan on using?

HT: Marantz AV7005, W4S Mini MC-5, Custom Waveguide Towers, SVSPB12-Plus/2
Old 02-13-2012, 10:42 PM

Hey guys, I'm the friend he speaks of. I'm running a 7.1 setup. Focal Chorus 836v for the fronts, then Focal Centers and Surrounds in the Chorus line.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:43 PM

So I was planning on running a stereo amp to the 2 fronts, then 5.1 for the center and surrounds
Old 02-14-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFire94 View Post
Hey guys, I'm the friend he speaks of. I'm running a 7.1 setup. Focal Chorus 836v for the fronts, then Focal Centers and Surrounds in the Chorus line.
Welcome to the forums

Old 02-14-2012, 09:23 AM

FormulaFire94... Welcome To AA!!!

Old 02-14-2012, 09:28 AM

Too bad B&K went out of business. I have a B&K amp/preamp and they are fantastic. The price was also affordable when new. My point is maybe he could buy a slightly used B&K 200.7 amp series two. It has plenty of power and sounds super for music and movies. The only problem is that you would not have a warranty with used. I believe ATI bought out B&K and does have some plans to put out new B&K gear. Alot of bang for the buck with that gear. Just a thought.