AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 03-11-2023, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Wise advice Tony. But it still may cost me $.

Yes, me too. I haven't gone optical yet, but it may be my next step.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 03-11-2023, 06:30 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Past experience says we can lay back and wait for Stephen to do the work for us.[emoji41]
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-11-2023, 07:47 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Well, I replaced the Finisar 850 nM transceivers with the 1310 nM Planet Tech MGB-TLX optical transceivers, and I couldn't get the Lumin P1 to see the music server via my EtherREGEN. It may be that the Lumin, the EtherREGEN or both are not compatible with this specification of optical transceiver, OR...that the Tripp-Lite 62.5/125 fiber I was using was not compatible.

So, that experiment was a bust.

Next thing I'll try is using the Corning 9/125 fiber with the Finisar transceivers and see if that works.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 03-11-2023 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-11-2023, 08:58 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Okay, update: I just installed the run of Corning Plenum 9/125 fiber; I've got both runs installed next to each other, so I can actually compare different mfrs/specifications of fiber. Both are going to the Finisar 850 nM optical transceivers at this point. I need to ping Alex of Uptone, and Peter of Lumin, and determine if EtherREGEN and the Lumin's P1's SFP cage(s), respectively, support 1310 nM optical transceivers, or not.
Old 03-11-2023, 09:38 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Success! After installing the Corning 9/125 fiber I just installed the MGB-TLX 1310 nM optical transceivers, and I'm back up and running! These transceivers sound smoother and sweeter than the Finisar 800nM transceivers when used with the Corning 9/125 fiber, so I suspect there is an transceiver x fiber interaction that is audible.

Sounds really nice: "smoother and sweeter" than the previous set-up, "airier", and the bass has more definition and body as well.

Bottom-line: SFP optical transceivers (and very likely, LC/LC fiber)...sound different. Welcome to high-end audio. Doh!

Last edited by Puma Cat; 03-11-2023 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-12-2023, 11:04 AM

Nice work, Stephen.
Happy you're satisfied with the results.
The pursuit for the 1% improvement never ends.
Old 03-14-2023, 09:39 AM

When I remodeled my listening room, my components are now 20 feet away from my Cisco switch. So I picked up a pair of
StarTech.com Cisco GLC-LH-SM Compatible SFP Module - 1000BASE-LX/LH - 1GE Gigabit Ethernet SFP - LC 20km - 1310nm - Cisco IE3400, IE3300, IE3200 (SFPGLCLHSMST)
and a
8 Meter Singlemode Duplex Fiber Optic Cable (9/125) - LC to LC
from Amazon
before my vacation and they don't work with either my EtherRegen or my Cisco SF 302-08P 10/100 POE Managed Switch. I went back to the Blue Jeans ethernet cable for the time being until I can spend time researching and contacting support. I think since it is a managed switch, I likely have to make some adjustments to the Cisco. But just guessing for now.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Been reading in-depth Emile's posts on another forum about the SFPs that he found to be the best-sounding SFPs, and what he recommends for use with the Taiko Extreme. So, today I got in two of 'em in to try out.

The nice thing about the Lumin P1 is I can run fiber directly from the EtherREGEN in the "remote server room" straight in to the back of the Lumin P1, and be done. No messin' around with network bridges, power supplies for network bridges, power cables for the power supplies for the network bridges, power cables for the DAC, Ethernet cables for the network bridge, USB cables for the DAC, interconnects from the DAC to the preamp, blah, blah, blah...

Basically, with the P1, it's "one and done"! Simple is GOOD.

Going to start out with the optical transceivers first, and then when I get a chance, I'll install the run of the new Corning fiber.

Stay tuned...
Since this topic has slowed down, I thought I would add this here.
I have been considering the Lumin X1 in place of my Aurender N-200
I was using Roon before adding the Aurender N-200, but Aurender doesn't support Roon, whereas Lumin does.
Also I can connect the X1 optically via the EtherRegen.
Wondering if the Lumin SQ will be any better.
Thoughts?

Last edited by Famester V1; 03-16-2023 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Wrong model
Old 03-16-2023, 02:57 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famester V1 View Post
When I remodeled my listening room, my components are now 20 feet away from my Cisco switch. So I picked up a pair of
StarTech.com Cisco GLC-LH-SM Compatible SFP Module - 1000BASE-LX/LH - 1GE Gigabit Ethernet SFP - LC 20km - 1310nm - Cisco IE3400, IE3300, IE3200 (SFPGLCLHSMST)
and a
8 Meter Singlemode Duplex Fiber Optic Cable (9/125) - LC to LC
from Amazon
before my vacation and they don't work with either my EtherRegen or my Cisco SF 302-08P 10/100 POE Managed Switch. I went back to the Blue Jeans ethernet cable for the time being until I can spend time researching and contacting support. I think since it is a managed switch, I likely have to make some adjustments to the Cisco. But just guessing for now.
Hi Fred,
I think perhaps one or more of the components you've tried here may be incompatible, but I couldn't specifically tell you which one. Anecdotally, I think I remember someone posting that the Cisco SFPs can be problematical for these audio applications, but I don't have the specific reference at the moment; it may have been a comment by Emile Bok at WBF discussing SFPs he's tested for use with the Taiko Extreme Server.

Here are two specific set-ups that I can confirm will work, for you, though:

Tripp-Lite 62.5/125 Duplex Multi-mode LC/LC optical fiber with Finisar FTLF8519P3BNL SFP 850nM Multi-mode optical transceivers. These were the best-sounding SFPs that I found for the Tripp-Lite fiber. They always connected", as well, which I could not say for the TP-Link SFPs.

Corning 9/125 single-mode LC/LC fiber with Planet Tech MGB-TLX 1310 nM 20Km 1000Base-LX Single-mode LC/LC optical transceivers.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by Puma Cat; 03-16-2023 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-16-2023, 03:11 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famester V1 View Post
Since this topic has slowed down, I thought I would add this here.
I have been considering the Lumin X1 in place of my Aurender N-200
I was using Roon before adding the Aurender N-200, but Aurender doesn't support Roon, whereas Lumin does.
Also I can connect the X1 optically via the EtherRegen.
Wondering if the Lumin SQ will be any better.
Thoughts?
If I were to hypothesize, I would say...YES.

The X1 is Lumin's TOTL streamer/DAC, is fully dual-mono throughout, including dual-mono Lundahl transformers for the "DAC section", very high level ESS 9038 SABRE DAC chips.

Just some of the X1's features:
  • New processor delivers native DSD512 & PCM768 playback
  • Dual Mono design throughout maximises channel separation
  • Dual ES9038Pro SABRE DACs featuring 140dB dynamic range
  • Femto Clock System with precision FPGA distribution
  • New Output Buffer design
  • Dual Mono dual stage linear regulator
  • Optical Network provides complete isolation from network digital noise
  • USB Digital Audio Output supports Native DSD512

It also utilizes an external linear power supply with dual-mono Plitron transformers with these features/functions:
  • New solid billet CNC casing design
  • Separate digital & analogue circuitry
  • Low-noise linear regulator
  • New 9-pin output connector

Also, in my experience, the LEEDH volume control technology is, in my experience, the best-sounding means to control output volume I've experienced.

Lastly with respect to Roon: you can listen to content from a Roon Core or using the Lumin app completely seamlessly, switching between apps for any song, if you like. I use both, and while I think the native Lumin app sounds a skosh better, I use my P1 with Roon quite a bit. It's also really nice to be able to controil output volume right from my phone, iPad, Macbook Pro laptop, etc.

It's also one of the very best-sounding DACs and preamps I've ever heard, regardless of price.

I also use the P1's preamp section with my TT and EAR 324 phono stage and it's superb in that application as well.

And...it has a proper chassis-ground terminal on the back panel, so you can connect it to an Altaira. And, Altaira takes the P1 to another level altogether...

"Yeah, baby, yeah!" – Austin Powers, International Man of Mystery

Last edited by Puma Cat; 03-16-2023 at 04:01 PM.