AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 10-23-2018, 01:39 PM

Old 10-24-2018, 05:04 AM

Kevin Croxall

Heard this system at the Toronto Audiofest this weekend past, excellent sounding room that Bryston had.

Good to see and meet the people I have only heard about in the media from Bryston.

Like Harold said in this string "Some day" I will own Bryston speakers and amplifiers.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:16 AM
Retired

Took a bit of effort to flip that pair of Model T's (107#, each) upside down on the other. At near 9' in height, would need a good sized room for same. Great looking set-up.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 10-24-2018, 04:38 PM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Toronto AudioFest 2018 – Bryston Demo – T-REX

NOVO MAGAZINE

Bryston Limited

Canadian manufacturer Bryston never fails to impress show goers with their big-guns approach to doing trade shows. What you are looking at above is a $60K all-Bryston system that includes a pair of the company’s brand new Model T-REX loudspeakers ($22,000 tentatively) driven by Bryston electronics. Each T-REX speaker tower is just under 9 feet tall, and composed of two identical Model T Signature speakers – the speaker on top is simply inverted. Existing Model T Active and Model T Signature owners can upgrade their systems to this four speaker configuration.

What inspired this rather crazy T-REX project? James Tanner, VP of Sales and Marketing at Bryston, told me it was the double Advent speaker configuration of the 70s that inspired the T-REX. And what are the advantages of such a setup? You can expect more consistent sound throughout the room, lower distortion (cut in half actually), a lot more bottom end and real world dynamics. This kind of setup also loads the room differently and really smooths out the bass response in the room.

Here’s a picture of James Tanner beside the new T-REX for size reference.

I sat down beside James, with an iPad in hand, controlling the music in the room, and he played me a variety of music genres to showcase the system. There is no question that this system played with awesome, true-to-life dynamics. The vocals were palpable, the midrange sweet and smooth. The highs played with delicate details. Meanwhile, the bass reached the lowest notes with ease and utmost control.

You might think that the imaging would be compromised by speakers with so many drivers but you’d be completely wrong.

The T-REX speakers painted a vast soundstage with excellent three dimensionality.

I was tempted to ask James to turn up the volume, but I didn’t want to scare the other visitors out of the room.

Bryston also proudly debuted its new powered wireless speakers at the show.

There are three new models: the Mini A (70 Watts total), the A1 wireless (500 Watts total) and the A2 wireless (500 watts total).

All three models are powered by new Class D amps with a linear power supply and all models offer wireless connectivity to music sources.

Do I smell a NOVO review coming soon? I sure do – as soon as they can ship us a pair!

Finally, the company also showed a new Bryston 620B Cubed amplifier that offers 6 x 200 Watts of power. This new model will come in 2 versions – one for home applications and another for pro applications.

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 10-24-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:38 AM

SUBJECT: Toronto AudioFest 2018 – Bryston Video Demo – T-REX

October 2018

Hi Folks

My thanks to Joseph (whomever you are) for this great video of the Bryston Demo at the 2018 Toronto AudioFest (see link below).

LINK:

https://www.facebook.com/KangaOfTheE...55428510/?t=41

“Pretty awesome system and full sound!

Impressive. :-)”

Joseph Greenham
Old 10-27-2018, 07:42 AM

SUBJECT: Toronto AudioFest 2018 – Bryston Demo – T-REX

POSITIVE FEEDBACK MAGAZINE
Toronto Audio Fest 2018 Show Report
By Malcolm J. Gomes

Bryston

In every audio show in Canada, you can always count on the Bryston Room to be one of the most popular with visitors.

It was no exception at this Show.

The room was always full of very enthusiastic audio-philes browsing Bryston's latest gear.

The room was dominated by the new Bryston T-Rex speakers that stood around 9-feet tall with an array of 14 driver units. The height itself is going to rule this speaker system out for most house and apartment where the ceiling height is typically 8-feet. (ED: there is a Middle T-REX which is just under 7 feet tall).

Design-wise, the T-Rex comprises two Model Ts stacked on top of each other to form a mirror image. According to James Tanner of Bryston, the T-Rex has extra bracing and a layer of rubber between the two stacked speakers (ED: plus special corner clamps to hold the speakers together). The T-Rex retails for CD$23,000 a pair and that price includes the Bryston BAX-1 three-way electronic crossover.

At that price point, The T-Rex could be considered a veritable bargain!

The T-Rex pair was driven by an all Bryston combo of the BP-26 preamp, MPS-2 power supply, BDP-3 digital player, BDA-3 DAC, BAX-1 Digital Crossover, BIT-20 isolation transformer, and the 21B Cubed 3-channel power amps.

The sound from the T-Rex was easily the best I have heard from any Bryston Speaker that I have heard. The sound stage was immense and the bass while surprisingly deep. Male vocals were rendered with a lot of authority and texture.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:30 AM

SUBJECT: Toronto AudioFest 2018 – Bryston 6 Moons – T-REX

October 2018

Bryston held court in a large room,curiously accessible through a dining area. Mr. Tanner had an interesting trick up his sleeve with a 9-foot tall line source array comprised of 2 model T stacked head to head.

At its pricepoint, it behaved flagship and delivered the sonic benefits with a vengeance with detail, warmth, scale and soundstaging to rival the price-no-object competition.

Glen Wagenhnecht
6 Moons Magazine
Old 10-30-2018, 04:56 PM

SUBJECT: Toronto AudioFest 2018 – Bryston Demo

October 2018

James and Brian

We received this from a visitor to the show … read until the end!

Sarah Tremblay
Toronto Audiofest

“Hello Sarah, Michel, and Ben,

I attended the Toronto Audiofest Friday Oct 19 and Saturday Oct 20. I wish to congratulate you on a supremely well organized event.

Downloading the show program I was able to plan at home my two show days before traveling to Toronto.

On arriving the signage was excellent. Everything was well laid out and easy to find. I have attended many audio shows and this event is now the reference for excellence. Everyone was having a good time, the enthusiasts and the exhibitors, which is not always the case. There were so many good exhibitors I did not have time to take advantage of the hosted seminars.
It was not lack of interest it was lack of time.

The event facility you chose fit the bill perfectly. Good luck with future endeavours,

Thanks for this one,
Terry Kearsley

P.S.
The demonstration of the current state of reproduced sound technology in the Bryston demo room was the show stopper.”
Old 11-04-2018, 05:57 AM

It seems more than a few people noticed that the Bryston demo sounded rather good. I thought so too! In the decades I've been involved with audio, there was always the desire to share what I've learned so that others could get more enjoyment from listening to music in their homes. It's been satisfying on each occasion to see all the smiles when everything was set up and turned on for the first time.

These days, all my advice is condensed into a single phrase; trust Bryston. And of course then I have to explain that I don't work for them and I haven't drunk any sort of Kool Aid and yes, it's unexpected that an electronics company would make remarkably good speakers, but here we are.

I would normally run away from a system with so many drivers instead of contemplating how to perhaps one day own them and that's a tribute to the quality of engineering that captured the virtues of such a design while effectively mitigating the pitfalls. Maybe the nicest part is that I wasn't even surprised by how lifelike the T-Rex sounds because the Bryston folks have pulled so many metaphorical rabbits out of proverbial hats over the years. Good job, guys.

Jozsef
Old 11-04-2018, 08:26 AM

INNER EAR MAGAZINE

After some serious contemplation, I have come to the conclusion that the Bryston T-Rex active system at the Toronto Audio Fest stole the show.

Big, well-controlled and musically pleasing sound here, but it did make me feel short and frail — see for yourself – Ernie Fisher.