AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 02-15-2011, 02:29 AM

My first McIntosh amp was the MC7150 that I used to drive a pair of Allison Threes. Then I bought a pair of Sf Elipsas and decided to get a new amp. I auditioned the MC275 and the MC402 extensively. The MC402 definitely had more revealing, clean, modern sound than the MC275. Had I only listened for 20 minutes, I may have brought the MC402 home, but after extensive listening I changed my mind. I decided on the MC275 and later added another one. It really depends on what you listen to - I mainly listen to early music (Renaissance to baroque to romantic era) and I especially wanted early instruments like viola da gamba, lute, budhran, etc., to sound organic, colorful, natural, and warm. The SS sound was too piercing and too resolving for my taste and my ears.

One drawback is, of course, maintenance. I may be paranoid but I find having to worry about tube life to be distraction. For this reason I have been thinking about getting a SS amp for the "every day listening" (shhh, don't tell my wife) and listen to tube sound only when I want to. Thinking about the MC302 for aesthetic reasons (I don't like the handles).
Old 02-15-2011, 06:36 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
What does "Elipsa up" consist of?
Elipsa plus Homage plus TSf.

Last edited by metaphacts; 02-15-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:34 AM

However, you might have a harder time with that bet from Elipsa up, even in combo systems. [/QUOTE]

What does "Elipsa up" consist of?[/QUOTE]
I would think that many of us would consider the Homage Series consisting of the Stradivari's, the Amati Anniversario's and possibly the Guarneri Memento's "up" from the Elipsa's. The Elipsa's are considered the top of the Cremona line.

Jim
Old 02-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
However, you might have a harder time with that bet from Elipsa up, even in combo systems.
What does "Elipsa up" consist of?[/QUOTE]
I would think that many of us would consider the Homage Series consisting of the Stradivari's, the Amati Anniversario's and possibly the Guarneri Memento's "up" from the Elipsa's. The Elipsa's are considered the top of the Cremona line.

Jim[/QUOTE]

As above my comment included exactly that plus TSf and will soon include Amati Futura. Obviously there is little or no data yet on TSf or Futura.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:07 PM

I am driving the Amati Anniversario with both solid state and tube amplification and each has is advantages. At the end of the day any good amplifier will provide great sound from the Amati.
I have had great results with CJ Motif Mosfet SS amplifier. Its a 1990's design but with the power supply caps replaced and some of the diode bridges and signal path capacitors upgraded it now completes with the best and make the Amati's sing like never before.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:20 PM

I really enjoy my Extrema, Krell KSA-300s and Tact RCS 2.0AA combo. The sound is detailed but never harsh and the brute power of the Krell controls the Extrema's with ease. I've tried a couple of tube pre amps and the far best one was the CJ Act 2 Series 2, but sadly I had to part with it because it didn't fit my student budget in the long run. I miss some of the tube "magic" the Act 2 contributed with, but all in all I'm really satisfied. Extrema and KSA-300s is IMHO a great combo

Last edited by ragwo; 03-05-2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-05-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragwo View Post
I really enjoy my Extrema, Krell KSA-300s and Tact RCS 2.0AA combo. The sound is detailed but never harsh and the brute power of the Krell controls the Extrema's with ease. I've tried a couple of tube pre amps and the far best one was the CJ Act 2 Series 2, but sadly I had to part with it because it didn't fit my student budget in the long run. I miss some of the tube "magic" the Act 2 contributed with, but all in all I'm really satisfied. Extrema and KSA-300s is IMHO a great combo
Welcome to Audioaficionado ragwo

Sounds like a very nice set-up.

Jim
Old 03-05-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Welcome to Audioaficionado ragwo

Sounds like a very nice set-up.

Jim
Thanks My living room is a bit small (20m2) resulting in some cancellations in the lower frequencies, but coupled with an old REL Studio 1 and a Studio 2 it sounds quite good, and lack of bass isn't an issue
Old 03-06-2011, 06:12 AM

The Homage line needs SS in my opinion.For the other speaker lines it depends....