AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Stillpoints

Stillpoints Lower Your Noise Floor

Old 03-08-2014, 06:36 PM

I decided to go with Ultra SS under my Acoustic Zen Crescendo speakers, and I love them. Interestingly I found that what worked best was three per speaker, with the tapered end up (the speakers rest on them). When I tried 4 per speaker using threaded adaptors supplied by Stillpoints they sounded WORSE! The bass became tubby and the mids seemed less clear, the very things that were so improved with only 3 per speaker! I moved my Aurios (which had been under the speakers) to under my Modwright Oppo 105 and PS 9.9 power supply. Next (maybe) will be Minis under something (either one or both of the Oppo pieces or the Pass INT-150).
Old 03-08-2014, 07:19 PM
Bodhisattva

Thanks for your feedback Rbbert, I'm interested in placing Stillpoints Ultra 5's under my Magico S5's. The S5's already use 3 mounting points already, however their size and shape means it woud not be safe to place the feet sloped side up with Ultra bases just sitting under the speakers as the speakers could be knocked over if someone bumped them. Also, bass energy could move the speakers on the feet over time. The alternative is screwing a set of 3 in sloped side down using the threaded adaptors, however Christiaan Punter tried this orientation in his review of Stillpoints for Hifi Advice and had this to say -

"Sloped side down, without Ultra Bases

Perplexed. That's how I felt the first minute after turning the Stillpoints upside down and listening to the same track. The sound was 100% the reverse of what we had just heard: the sound now was strangely coloured, phasey and lacking openness throughout. Bass lost its articulation, treble missed extension and overall the positive feel was just gone. I can't explain it but after another track we were convinced that this was not the way to go and reversed the Ultra 5's again. Ah, bliss."

That said, they were placing the U5's under an amp without the thread adaptors. I wonder if a heavier load such as an 86kg speaker with the threads connected would produce a different outcome?
Old 03-08-2014, 08:17 PM

I very much doubt an 85 kg speaker is going to move on three Stillpoints; mine are only 57 kg and I'm pretty sure they haven't moved even a millimeter in a month. As for tipping over, at 85 kg I doubt it will happen, but just in case I have some hockey pucks (shorter than the Stillpoints) placed at the speakers' edges.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:26 PM
Bodhisattva

Thanks I appreciate your advice Rbbert (Robert?). The only problem with placing the Ultra 5's neat under the my speakers is that the S5's have silver discs in the mounting position for the feet, meaning the large U5's would need to be placed further toward the center of the speaker which isn't really ideal.

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 03-08-2014 at 09:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-10-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
I'd love to have someone start a Stillpoints thread. I don't own any and my only listening experience was a couple of rooms at RAMF 2012...
Haven't you beat this to death over on WBF?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g997 View Post
Haven't you beat this to death over on WBF?
I definitely came late to the Stillpoints party at WBF, and my post here which you quoted was made at about the time I was starting to read about them over there. Now I do own some and have been experimenting with them. They can do some great things for a system's sound, but they are definitetly not a "one size fits all". Which models you use and where and how you use them can have dramatically different effects, not all positive by any means.

Last edited by rbbert; 03-10-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:18 PM

Every application that I have applied Stillpoints has yielded very worthwhile improvements. Not experienced anything detrimental so perplexed by these comments.

I run SS ultras under my maestro Utopias. The improvement is really significant - the ex focal uk distributor would always dem focal with them because the difference was night and day.

I use ss ultras as feet on vpi classic and an LPi. I have ultra 5s under my amp. The sound gains greater precision, focus, space and general musical enjoyment. Would never get rid of them as I see them essential for my system.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:47 AM
Bodhisattva

Thanks for your feedback on Stillpoints C2300
Old 03-17-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Thanks for your feedback on Stillpoints C2300
Hi,

Check out the blog in the absolute sound mag online - seems to concur with my experience.