AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 04-03-2015, 08:09 AM

Hello Ken,

I would not compare the Revel speakers with the Magico, as these last ones have tremendous density that lacks a little bit to the Revel Salon 2. But I understand perfectly that the association of Soulution with the Revel is not the best match in heaven.
I was not convinced by my early listenings of Magico / Soulution partnership, but the last M Project demo partnering the 701 mono blocks has been extremely convincing to my ears. I mean it was not cold, not warm, just perfect to my ears in terms of tonal balance...
In the other hand, I had no opportunity to listen to the new Ms with Vitus, Luxman, Pass or whatever other gear on the warm side of neutral. I think the Vitus Magico association could be anyway an interesting idea. But as usual, we have first to listen...

Cheers,

Joël
Old 04-03-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number95 View Post
My M Pros are driven by Ref 610T monos. Gorgeous tone color, excellent resolution as well as easiness and control.
Lucky guy...
Old 04-03-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel6m View Post
Hello Ken,

I would not compare the Revel speakers with the Magico, as these last ones have tremendous density that lacks a little bit to the Revel Salon 2. But I understand perfectly that the association of Soulution with the Revel is not the best match in heaven.
I was not convinced by my early listenings of Magico / Soulution partnership, but the last M Project demo partnering the 701 mono blocks has been extremely convincing to my ears. I mean it was not cold, not warm, just perfect to my ears in terms of tonal balance...
In the other hand, I had no opportunity to listen to the new Ms with Vitus, Luxman, Pass or whatever other gear on the warm side of neutral. I think the Vitus Magico association could be anyway an interesting idea. But as usual, we have first to listen...

Cheers,

Joël
Hi Joel,

We'll agree to disagree about the sound quality the Revel Salon 2. My point was that the Magico are very neutral sounding loudspeakers and when coupled with very neutral sounding amps (like Soulution), the overall sound can be somewhat lacking in warmth and musicality, in my opinion. But I do know several audiophiles who prefer this very neutral sonic signature and consider it quite musical. I, on the other hand, prefer some warmth interjected into the sonic signature to achieve what I consider to be a musical presentation. You should definitely audition the Vitus preamp and amps with Magico before making any final decisions. Vitus and Magico have tremendous synergy and sound supremely musical together. Listening to them might sway your opinion.

Ken

Last edited by PlanarSpeakerFan; 04-03-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:34 PM

Hi Ken

I have just listened to the M project once (in rather good conditions nevertheless thanks to Alon Wolf) and I have been impressed by the change in voicing of this last outing. To my ears, the sound was more gorgeous and warmer, more lively, than with the previous speakers.
I agree with you about the interest in partnering a warmer amp with previous Magico units. And I have never been convinced by the association of Magico & Soulution during my previous experiences. But this time, I see it differently, and believe me, I also like this small amount of warmth and that's why my Vivid G1s are powered by Luxman amps...
And that doesn't mean the Soulution amps are the best association with the M Project speakers, just the only one I have listened to.

Cheers,
Joël
Old 04-04-2015, 02:49 PM

I was just about to post a thread asking for recommendations for an amplifier for my Magico M-Projects.

I'm currently using Pass XA160.8's but they are too neutral for the M-Projects (which are also very neutral). I tried XA160.5's and they were too warm and slow. I was thinking about upgrading the XS-150 but Pass says they have the same sound signature as the .8 series.

So I thought maybe Vitus but I have been told by an owner of Q7s that they are less warm than the Pass XS series. I also understand that Soulution is very neutral.

I'm not sure what amps remain that might mate well with the Magico M's (which are tonally similar to the Q series). I do not like tubes or overly warm amps, but right now with the M's I have a very thin & bright midrange that is fatiguing.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
I was just about to post a thread asking for recommendations for an amplifier for my Magico M-Projects.

I'm currently using Pass XA160.8's but they are too neutral for the M-Projects (which are also very neutral). I tried XA160.5's and they were too warm and slow. I was thinking about upgrading the XS-150 but Pass says they have the same sound signature as the .8 series.

So I thought maybe Vitus but I have been told by an owner of Q7s that they are less warm than the Pass XS series. I also understand that Soulution is very neutral.

I'm not sure what amps remain that might mate well with the Magico M's (which are tonally similar to the Q series). I do not like tubes or overly warm amps, but right now with the M's I have a very thin & bright midrange that is fatiguing.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance.
Technical Brain monos.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:13 PM
From the BAT cave ...

MadFloyd, I would take a listen to Balanced Audio Technology solid state amps. I would call them just a tick towards warm, certainly not overly warm.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel6m View Post
Lucky guy...
Thanks.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:31 PM

Hi Madfloyd,
FM Acoustics, not warm not cold just right. Striking (to me) the perfect balance in its tonal timbre/balance and speed mimicking live music. Set right with their recommended cabling, one of the very few SS amps I've heard which could give you an eerily pop-out SET like midrange. It might not be to your taste, but definitely worth an experience to give them a listen - as I noted, they seem to match your set of priorities. The 711mkII or 115 should be good and reasonably priced within their range.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:44 PM

I think Constellation will do just fine, quote from their website;

"The Centaur is the only stereo amplifier in the world that can deliver the power of a large solid-state design with all the delicacy and detail of the finest single-ended triode tube amplifiers

Rather than bulking up the Centaur by simply adding more transistors—and losing the delicious subtleties and microdynamics for which smaller, simpler amplifiers are treasured—Constellation Audio’s “dream team” of engineers decided on a different approach.First, we built a superb-sounding 125-watt single-ended amplifier. Then we designed it as a module so that we could achieve any desired power rating by simply adding more modules. The resulting 250-watt-per-channel stereo amplifier sounds exactly like that original 125-watt single-ended amplifier, just twice as powerful"