AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 01-14-2012, 04:45 AM

Default Retube ideas for ref110

Ok I think I don't like the Tung Sol KT120 I bought off ebay. Even after 100+hrs of run in, I am not warming up to them. Put back the old tired original 6550's & I'm much happier.

So, besides ARC, where to purchase 2 sets of matched 8's ( for 2 ref 110's) ? Are factory 6550 Tung Sol's ?

Help.

Regards,
Joe Ling

Source 2 - Avid Acutus SP reference + Thales Reference tone arm + Benz Micro LPS (DS Audio Master 1 broken tip repaired but cost me USD2k. Still having issues - channel imbalance - back to dealer. However, channel issues not withstanding, sounded very very nice. Need to get it back soonest)

Source 3 - DCS Vivaldi + Antelope reference clock or Cybershaft Op18 (not floating my boat so far)

Source 5 - ROON ROCK with Aurender W20 as NAS & 2 units of SOTM switch with 10M input (the new frontier but still cannot beat CD for now) - ROON endpoint - Vivaldi upsampler

Amplification - Naim Statement

Speakers - ProAc Carbon 8 + JL FM113 x2 (replacement purchased - Stella Utopia EVO but due to lockdown, could be a year's wait)

Purepower 2000 x 2 (&$@#% but
sounds nice)

Shunyata Denali X 2
Old 01-14-2012, 05:54 AM

Joe, just wondering, what is it about the sound of the kt 120 that you don't like? I believe factory 6550's are svetlana's.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:58 PM

I do wonder if it is the K120 tubes you have. I bought a set from ARC and really like them. Nice upgrade over the 6550Cs the amp came with.
XLO - cables; Aural Symphonics - cords; Shunyata - cords
Old 01-14-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeling View Post
Ok I think I don't like the Tung Sol KT120 I bought off ebay. Even after 100+hrs of run in, I am not warming up to them. Put back the old tired original 6550's & I'm much happier.

So, besides ARC, where to purchase 2 sets of matched 8's ( for 2 ref 110's) ? Are factory 6550 Tung Sol's ?

Help.

Regards,
Joe Ling
Buy it directly from ARC. I have also had bad experiences buying from ebay etc.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:05 PM

You can try the Tung-Sol 6550. They are reported to be very good and are not expensive.
I really like the KT120 in my CJ LP125. I wonder if the set you got is faulty.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:45 PM

I've had good look with several sets of tubes that I've purchased from Upscale Audio.
Wilson Sophia 2's, Devialet D-Premier, Transparent Ultra ICs & SCs, Transparent Reference power products, Oppo BDP-103, Clearaudio Ovation TT & Benz Ace SM, Finite Elemente Pagode stands, ASC Tube Traps & Sound Panels
Old 01-14-2012, 07:12 PM

Mark...have you switched your 6550s to KT-120s in your VS-115?
Old 01-14-2012, 10:12 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info. I feel that after 100+ hrs the kt120 still sounded shrill & sibilance prone on some material. I guess it's a personal bias thing. Had similar issues with the ref210 with 6550's. Put back the originals with about 1600hrs on them & the sound became ecceptable again. The other set of 6550's with more than 2000hrs were worn out. Shrill sounding & unpleasant.

Source 2 - Avid Acutus SP reference + Thales Reference tone arm + Benz Micro LPS (DS Audio Master 1 broken tip repaired but cost me USD2k. Still having issues - channel imbalance - back to dealer. However, channel issues not withstanding, sounded very very nice. Need to get it back soonest)

Source 3 - DCS Vivaldi + Antelope reference clock or Cybershaft Op18 (not floating my boat so far)

Source 5 - ROON ROCK with Aurender W20 as NAS & 2 units of SOTM switch with 10M input (the new frontier but still cannot beat CD for now) - ROON endpoint - Vivaldi upsampler

Speakers - ProAc Carbon 8 + JL FM113 x2 (replacement purchased - Stella Utopia EVO but due to lockdown, could be a year's wait)

sounds nice)

Shunyata Denali X 2
Old 01-14-2012, 11:04 PM

That's strange Joe. I've tried a ref 150, ref 250 and a kt 120'd ref 610 in my system and if any, I find the kt 120 equipped ARC Amps to be a touch warm and very meaty in the mids. Certainly I would not characterize these amps as bright or shrill. Thing is, it's kinda pricy to buy kt 120 tubes from ARC so I wouldn't blame you if you opt to retube with something your familiar with, the factory 6550's, which, as I mentioned, are Svetlanas. Replacement svetlana matched 6550's are widely available from places like Tube Depot and the Tube Store. I'd stay away from eBay for any kind of tube replacement.

Last edited by Dafos; 01-14-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:13 AM

Hi Dafos,

I'm puzzled myself & was hoping that the KT120 will be an upgrade. However, it was not to be. Anyway, the Svetlanas that u mentioned are the tubes branded by Svetlana but no the ones made by the original Svetlana factory as opposed to winged C ones right ?

Regards,
Joe Ling

sounds nice)

Shunyata Denali X 2