AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 03-18-2018, 04:55 PM

Absolutely, Serge. In fact at the moment all I play in my dedicated room is DSD downloads -have become so fond of it that I can't bring myself to play back PCM anymore.
Well that's the status quo until the TT arrives I suppose...

You should check out NativeDSD's DSD256 version of Jaco Pastorius' "Truth, Liberty & Soul" -sounds truly remarkable.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfeTe View Post
Absolutely, Serge. In fact at the moment all I play in my dedicated room is DSD downloads -have become so fond of it that I can't bring myself to play back PCM anymore.
Well that's the status quo until the TT arrives I suppose...

You should check out NativeDSD's DSD256 version of Jaco Pastorius' "Truth, Liberty & Soul" -sounds truly remarkable.

Is this the one? http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/12...128fs_Download
Old 03-18-2018, 05:52 PM

Yes I believe so!

https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/2X...h-liberty-soul
Old 03-18-2018, 07:46 PM

Why do you guys keep posting these links to places to help me spend money?
Old 03-18-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwinaj View Post
Why do you guys keep posting these links to places to help me spend money?

Didn’t you read the disclaimers when you joined AA?
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 03-18-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Didn’t you read the disclaimers when you joined AA?
I don't remember seeing that one... LOL
Old 03-18-2018, 11:06 PM

Added another Vanessa Fernadez album, "Use Me" to my collection. DSD 2.8. Fantastic album. This is what music should sound like.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Downloaded DSD music playback is a new phase of this hobby for me. I have to say, I can see myself becoming a DSD addict in a hurry.

Having virtually nothing to feed my Luxman D-06u SACD/DAC in terms of DSD (other than some SACD), of course it was time to purchase some DSD music and give it a whirl.

What can I say? Seems we have been denied access to some truly great recorded and mastered music until DSD. It is not so much the increase in resolution itself but the often outstanding mastering and source of files where the difference lies. Just a few examples so far.

1. Norah Jones. Come away with me. The DSD 2.8MHz downloaded from acoustic sounds simply smokes any of the CD, SACD, vinyl that I have heard of this album and I am not the only one who says it. Mastered by Kevin Gray at Coherent Audio from master analog tapes, the DSD version sounds superb and the CD by comparison sounds mechanical, sterile and shrill. Buy this DSD album and compare for yourself. No comparison. http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/13...z64fs_Download

2. Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.
Ok, I don't have the SACD version to compare but the CD I have does not come even close to this DSD version which was sourced from the DSD audio which was used to create the SACD. Besides the obvious better sound, the Acoustic mix version of the "Candle in the Wind" almost makes it worth it to buy this DSD album for that alone.

3. Vanessa Fernandez. When the Leave Breaks. Ok, this is what Led Zeppelin should sound like... Except we will never hear Led Zeppelin sound this great and of course this is a different performer, a female vocalist in this case but holy smokes, you have to hear this DSD album! Mastered by Bernie Grundman from the analog tape mixed by Michael C. Ross
DSD files authored by David Glasser.

I've download some other DSD albums and I am equally impressed with the other High Resolution music. I can see myself adding to the DSD collection to build up a DSD library to feed the Luxman player. Here is the great part, the Schiit Yggdrasil sounds virtually identical even when these files have to be downsampled for the non DSD Yggdrasil DAC! It is NOT so much the resolution but the mastering and the care that goes into these albums.
I have all three of these and couldn't agree more. Don't forget Vanessa's other DSD album USE ME which I like even better! Good stuff ... so glad I got a great DSD DAC. And I agree ... the mastering is what matters most!

George
Old 03-18-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
I have all three of these and couldn't agree more. Don't forget Vanessa's other DSD album USE ME which I like even better! Good stuff ... so glad I got a great DSD DAC. And I agree ... the mastering is what matters most!

George
Old 03-19-2018, 12:17 PM

I like the sound of DSD's but wonder if an album was originally recorded in hi-res PCM and converted to DSD if I would be better listening to the PCM version. I know Sound Liason lets you know ahead of time that they only have one recording originally done in DSD and all the rest are converted. Do other companies that offer DSD's let you know what albums were originally recorded with. I would assume if a recording was released as a SACD that it was done in DSD but I thought I heard that many SACD's were copied from a CD. I am confused.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Denali 6000/s V2, Altaira