AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 01-15-2018, 03:02 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWH View Post
Dan,

Looking forward to your review with great interest. BTW, do you think that a server feeding stored music files to the Yggy gives you an advantage over a disc player feeding the Yggy via coax input? Just curious as I'm sure many would likely use that set-up. I'm one of those weird people that actually like to play a disc. Thanks!
Wes.......Like all things in audio there are many variables. The performance of each component in the signal path ultimately impacts the final results of playback quality. Having said that, a high quality music server is quite capable of delivering equal playback when compared to CD playback from a high quality transport to a DAC. What is extremely impressive about the Yggdrasil is the amazing resolution, dynamics, and ultra quiet background that is delivered by the new Gen5 USB implementation. I have compared the same song from the Aurender N100H via USB to the Yggdrasil DAC with the same song on CD from the Oppo BDP-95 transport to the Yggdrasil DAC via a coaxial connection and do not detect any identifiable differences in sound quality. So, to answer your question based on my experience there is no perceptible advantage of one source over the other. The Yggdrasil will make the most of whatever source and connection you choose.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 01-15-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
The Yggdrasil DAC is absolutely astonishing. I have 494 hours break-in logged at this time. During my listening sessions I have already started taking notes for my review. This past several days the Yggdrasil has floored me more than once. The authenticity of instrument sounds and voices is so realistic and natural it is almost uncanny. I continually find myself awestruck as I listen. I am pulled into the performances every single time. I have not yet compared the Yggdrasil to the Esoteric K-01X in the studio system. I'll get to that one of these days, but I swear the Yggy is neck and neck with the K-01X, if not superior, in its ability to present music in a genuine, captivating, and immersive way. No matter the price, the Yggdrasil is a serious competitor with DAC's way up the digital converter food chain. Its performance level has reached a place where the accurate representation of sound can be startling. Instruments, percussion, and voices are lifelike and thrilling. Its price may make the Yggdrasil appear as an underdog but be forewarned, this DAC kicks ass.

The full Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC review should be complete and posted by next Saturday.
Wow! Great to hear Dan! Sounds like the Yggy not only has great bang for the buck but a great Dac at any price.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:32 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Wes.......Like all things in audio there are many variables. The performance of each component in the signal path ultimately impacts the final results of playback quality. Having said that, a high quality music server is quite capable of delivering equal playback when compared to CD playback from a high quality transport to a DAC. What is extremely impressive about the Yggdrasil is the amazing resolution, dynamics, and ultra quiet background that is delivered by the new Gen5 USB implementation. I have compared the same song from the Aurender N100H via USB to the Yggdrasil DAC with the same song on CD from the Oppo BDP-95 transport to the Yggdrasil DAC via a coaxial connection and do not detect any identifiable differences in sound quality. So, to answer your question based on my experience there is no perceptible advantage of one source over the other. The Yggdrasil will make the most of whatever source and connection you choose.

Dan, I'm happy the Oppo seems to work rather well.
A lot of people find it indeed a good transport.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-15-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Dan, I'm happy the Oppo seems to work rather well.
A lot of people find it indeed a good transport.
Indeed, I use my Oppo 105 as a transport and have been quite pleased with result.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
The Yggdrasil DAC is absolutely astonishing. I have 494 hours break-in logged at this time. During my listening sessions I have already started taking notes for my review. This past several days the Yggdrasil has floored me more than once. The authenticity of instrument sounds and voices is so realistic and natural it is almost uncanny. I continually find myself awestruck as I listen. I am pulled into the performances every single time. I have not yet compared the Yggdrasil to the Esoteric K-01X in the studio system. I'll get to that one of these days, but I swear the Yggy is neck and neck with the K-01X, if not superior, in its ability to present music in a genuine, captivating, and immersive way. No matter the price, the Yggdrasil is a serious competitor with DAC's way up the digital converter food chain. Its performance level has reached a place where the accurate representation of sound can be startling. Instruments, percussion, and voices are lifelike and thrilling. Its price may make the Yggdrasil appear as an underdog but be forewarned, this DAC kicks ass.

The full Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC review should be complete and posted by next Saturday.
Dan.........your enthusiasm is peaking my interest and making me wonder how the Yggy would compare to mine.
If they only had a 30 day trial period considering your extended break-in period.......

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 01-15-2018, 07:13 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
Dan.........your enthusiasm is peaking my interest and making me wonder how the Yggy would compare to mine.
If they only had a 30 day trial period considering your extended break-in period.......
Ron.......The 15 day return policy is adequate to log enough break-in hours for a clear understanding of what this DAC is all about. Yes, it continues to mature, ripen if you will, as additional hours are put on it, but at 200+ hours I knew this DAC was not going to be returned. Heck, I knew that at 100 hours. If you power it on as soon as you receive it and feed it a digital signal 24/7 for 13 days you will log over 300 hours. By that time you will be convinced one way or the other. If you are not impressed enough with the Yggdrasil's sound to keep it, call Schiit Audio for an RMA number and ship it back the next day.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 01-15-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:25 PM

Dan, do you need to feed it a signal to break in? Thought that Schiit say just powered on is all you need.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:59 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariess View Post
Dan, do you need to feed it a signal to break in? Thought that Schiit say just powered on is all you need.
Adam.......I know Schiit performs burn-in of all the Yggdrasil DAC's at the factory for at least 72 hours minimum before boxing them for shipping. I can't recall seeing where Schiit states a thorough break-in can be accomplished by simply leaving it powered on with no signal. Yes, Schiit does recommend leaving the DAC powered but I suspect that is to keep the circuits at operating temperature so the DAC will always sound its best immediately when used.

My idea of a thorough break-in is not only to keep the Yggdrasill powered, but feed it with a digital signal through the various inputs so that all the component's various circuit board parts have an opportunity to experience electron flow, temperature rise, and molecular settling of the chemical compounds and physical properties they are made of. I also want the analog output stages to be passing voltage as well for all the same reasons. In other words, I want the break-in process to include all the aspects of the DAC being used under the exact same conditions I will be using it.

I am not trying to tell anyone how to break-in their audio equipment. I am only stating how I do it. My Yggdrasil now has 520 hours of break-in under actual use. In my opinion, that's how break-in should be performed.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
[B]Adam....... My Yggdrasil now has 520 hours of break-in under actual use.
Dan, that means you are already 20 hrs behind schedule on the review! Just kidding and I really am looking forward to your review of the Yggdrasil.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:29 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Dan, that means you are already 20 hrs behind schedule on the review! Just kidding and I really am looking forward to your review of the Yggdrasil.
Serge.......I have taken lots of notes during my listening sessions and have already started to develop the review. A well written, informative, and entertaining review requires considerable time and thought. My reviews are often written over several days, then read and edited a dozen times or more before I am satisfied with the results. Then there is photography and photo editing to be done. This doesn't happen in a few hours. I know you are familiar with the process. As the say, serve no wine before its time. .

Last edited by jdandy; 01-15-2018 at 10:23 PM.