AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 06-01-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
In fact, they will not even service it for money.
That is good to know!
Old 06-01-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre! View Post
When the prices is so expensive in US and EU, why can´t one just order from Japan?

There are several online hifi shops were you can order from in Japan. What is the problem doing that? :-)
One big issue is the difference in voltage. You can buy a voltage converter but I don't trust those things. I mean we invest in expensive power cords, surge protectors, etc. Why on earth would we plug into a cheap voltage converter? Not me.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:07 PM

Seriously, cheap voltage converters are for things like blow dryers not super expensive amps. Just no, no, no, no...lol.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgod View Post
One big issue is the difference in voltage. You can buy a voltage converter but I don't trust those things. I mean we invest in expensive power cords, surge protectors, etc. Why on earth would we plug into a cheap voltage converter? Not me.
It's easy to convert a 100V to 110V or 220V. They all have the same inside. You just need to know which wire to change or switch to move.

I agree with the loss of warranty and you'll never be able to resale it as easily as one bought from a reputable dealer nor for the same value.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
It's easy to convert a 100V to 110V or 220V. They all have the same inside. You just need to know which wire to change or switch to move.

I agree with the loss of warranty and you'll never be able to resale it as easily as one bought from a reputable dealer nor for the same value.
I've read that vintage Accuphase units just used a simple switch but the newer units are much more complicated. My guess is that Accuphase is trying to make it more difficult for users to make the change over. You can hire a tech to do it but there is no way I would let a non-Accuphase tech touch an Accuphase amp. That would be like letting a back yard mechanic touch a Ferrari.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:59 AM

In the vintage units I own and opened (1983-1995) there are some plugs and you need to change their order to choose voltage. The various options are indicated with a label nearby. You also need to change the fuse I you go from 100-110V to 220-240V.

In newer units I read there is no indication.

In contemporary units some soldering is required, because you don't have the plugs. Also no indication inside.

Regarding the tech, I would easily hire a good one to do work on my Accuphase units. They are well built, with good materials, but from what I understand not too fancy or strange regarding typology or general solutions. Problem would be to get a service manual for contemporary units, since from what I've seen they are kept in fairly strong secret outside the Accuphase dealer circle.

(When I asked something technical regarding my A-46 to my dealer, I was at his desk and he kindly asked me to leave the room because he needed to check the service manual. Maybe a bit exaggerated ).
Old 06-03-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattia View Post
In the vintage units I own and opened (1983-1995) there are some plugs and you need to change their order to choose voltage. The various options are indicated with a label nearby. You also need to change the fuse I you go from 100-110V to 220-240V.

In newer units I read there is no indication.

In contemporary units some soldering is required, because you don't have the plugs. Also no indication inside.

Regarding the tech, I would easily hire a good one to do work on my Accuphase units. They are well built, with good materials, but from what I understand not too fancy or strange regarding typology or general solutions. Problem would be to get a service manual for contemporary units, since from what I've seen they are kept in fairly strong secret outside the Accuphase dealer circle.

(When I asked something technical regarding my A-46 to my dealer, I was at his desk and he kindly asked me to leave the room because he needed to check the service manual. Maybe a bit exaggerated ).
To change voltage you need to open service manual that you can find even through this forum)))
Old 10-05-2016, 01:12 AM

Gray market can be more expensive than at first thought. One source for Japanese gray market gear ( including Accuphase) has been from Pricejapan.com. Apparently they have been in operation for a number of years but suddenly decided to take their customers money and run. It makes you wonder what is truly behind the websites we visit.

Price Japan Rated 0/5 stars by 13 Consumers - pricejapan.com/index.html Consumer Reviews at ResellerRatings
Old 10-08-2016, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp1 View Post
Gray market can be more expensive than at first thought. One source for Japanese gray market gear ( including Accuphase) has been from Pricejapan.com. Apparently they have been in operation for a number of years but suddenly decided to take their customers money and run. It makes you wonder what is truly behind the websites we visit.
Price Japan Rated 0/5 stars by 13 Consumers - pricejapan.com/index.html Consumer Reviews at ResellerRatings
Consequential news!
Old 10-13-2016, 02:28 PM

I've heard that pricejapan is a 'one-man-show' and it's owner has had a serious accident in May.