AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Vivid Audio

Vivid Audio Auditory Acuity

Old 01-28-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmcab View Post
Anyone go to the 2014 CES? In the Vivid room, the B1's were used paired up with the new Luxman amp and Lawrence Dickie was there!
Hi bmwmcab,

Did you get to hear the g4?
Old 01-30-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqman View Post
Hi bmwmcab,

Did you get to hear the g4?
aqman,

I didn't see the g4's at the ces. Only the G1, G3 and B1's. The G1's ran with Ayre, G3's with April Music and B1's with Luxman.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:18 AM

Hi folks. Well I find myself in the process of testing out Vivid Audio's customer service unfortunately. On the surface it seems like a petty thing.

While listening to music one of the dust caps on a mid/bass driver popped off. I don't know if anyone has seen the insides of a Vivid driver but even on the mid drivers the dustcap is like aluminium foil. Its super thin and lightweight. There is a bit of a groove where the cap sits but otherwise i have no idea how something so fragile is attached. When i picked it up off the carpet there was a slight crack and i found a 1mm crack on the rim at the back of the cap. I can understand how kids can poke these in. I have been almost religious about keeping people away from my speakers and i am even nervous about dusting them. It certainly makes sense that the Giyas have grills over all three front facing drivers. I know other brands like B&W seem to glue on their dustcaps but that almost seems counter to Vivids approach given the extremes they take to lightweight even the larger drivers. I guess ultra low mass means its a more responsive driver.

i have been in contact with my dealer and he is organising a new/replacement driver for me through the importer. Fingers crossed that all will be resolved without too much delay.

I have been very pleased in the past with the responsiveness of smaller hifi companies when things go wrong, and that can happen with the best companies. I think the real test is how well they respond when a customer has an issue. On that front I have been spoilt. I am in Australia and Naim Audio UK provided me with advice within 30 minutes of a fuse blowing on one of their XPS2 DR power supplies. Unfortunately it turned out to be an inherent "issue", but they did have a workaround which has kept me from further blow fuses, and they also sent me some spares (they were a very specific fuse).

My little issue only happened on the weekend but i hope to able to report on a positive outcome soon. Its just a little quiet round here without music, or alternately i could swap in the old B&W804s.

Last edited by Briz Vegaas; 07-29-2015 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 07-29-2015, 08:34 AM
Life is beautiful

^^^^I hope your problems will be solved quickly!

I think Pedro also had to replace a driver in his B1s.
If I recall well, that went smoothly.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 07-29-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briz Vegaas View Post
Hi folks. Well I find myself in the process of testing out Vivid Audio's customer service unfortunately. On the surface it seems like a petty thing.

While listening to music one of the dust caps on a mid/bass driver popped off. I don't know if anyone has seen the insides of a Vivid driver but even on the mid drivers the dustcap is like aluminium foil. Its super thin and lightweight. There is a bit of a groove where the cap sits but otherwise i have no idea how something so fragile is attached. When i picked it up off the carpet there was a slight crack and i found a 1mm crack on the rim at the back of the cap. I can understand how kids can poke these in. I have been almost religious about keeping people away from my speakers and i am even nervous about dusting them. It certainly makes sense that the Giyas have grills over all three front facing drivers. I know other brands like B&W seem to glue on their dustcaps but that almost seems counter to Vivids approach given the extremes they take to lightweight even the larger drivers. I guess ultra low mass means its a more responsive driver.

i have been in contact with my dealer and he is organising a new/replacement driver for me through the importer. Fingers crossed that all will be resolved without too much delay.

I have been very pleased in the past with the responsiveness of smaller hifi companies when things go wrong, and that can happen with the best companies. I think the real test is how well they respond when a customer has an issue. On that front I have been spoilt. I am in Australia and Naim Audio UK provided me with advice within 30 minutes of a fuse blowing on one of their XPS2 DR power supplies. Unfortunately it turned out to be an inherent "issue", but they did have a workaround which has kept me from further blow fuses, and they also sent me some spares (they were a very specific fuse).

My little issue only happened on the weekend but i hope to able to report on a positive outcome soon. Its just a little quiet round here without music, or alternately i could swap in the old B&W804s.
Philip Guttentag personally came to my home to replace a tweeter on my K1's. I was pleasantly surprised.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:36 AM

I replaced a woofer in my B1. It's not technically demanding but a little tedious unscrewing and re-screwing the bolt inside that holds the two woofers together. Get the shortest crescent wrench you can find. You just have to be careful to not touch the drivers when handling them. Also, you definitely need two people. Vivid has an instruction guide.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:06 AM

Thanks. I suspect the issue may be getting a replacement driver. Australia is not a big market for high end hifi and i don't get the impression that they anticipate failures. Apart from the hole in the middle it still works in a mechanical sense. I keep thinking its kind of an expensive hole.

One of the guys in our Audio club has K1s. I might have to sneak in an pinch one of his drivers. He doesn't need all of them, as the B1 demonstrates.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:37 PM

Happy new year folks.

Just enjoying my B1s. Sounding super sweet after Audirvana software and DAC firmware upgrades during 2015. I seem to get a further boost this time of year, either due to a holiday mood or cleaner power as people are away....or both.

Also interesting to see someone over on the Naim Forum ( system photo thread) using Vivid G3s with a Naim Statement amp. Whats that gonna cost. $300k all up i would think. Mind boggling. Mind you, any Vivid setup is going to be pretty flash by anyones standards. Feeling very lucking to be enjoying my much more modest setup.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:50 PM

These are great speakers, just heard them with ARC, superb!
Old 05-20-2016, 03:34 AM

The B1's are great speakers, just listened to a pair connected to a Devialet
Next up will be the K1's