AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Vivid Audio

Vivid Audio Auditory Acuity

Old 06-24-2014, 12:39 AM

Default Giya G2 versus G3 and others...

Anyone listen to both the G2 and the G3 prior to purchasing either. Please share any valuable insight regarding listening impressions. My room is 15 by 20 feet. I'm looking to upgrade from Wilson Audio Sasha 1's. Will also be auditioning Magico Q3, S5, and Rockport Avior. Feel free to compare and contrast any of these speakers to the Vivid speakers in this thread. I will also be utilizing a Wilson Audio watchdog sub with the system. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2014, 01:04 AM

Not considering Sasha 2? It's a great upgrade in my opinion. I did it.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:56 PM
Life is beautiful

Haven't heard the G3s, but compared the G1 and G2.
Sound was very similar, what can be expected because they share 3 drivers.
Woofers 11 and 9 inches: I didn't really notice a big difference in the tracks we played.
With 7.5 inch woofers you could expect the bass impact to be a little bit limited in the G3s.

I have heard Sophia, Sasha and Maxx 3.
Very good speakers but I chose Vivid for its transparency while remaining very "musical".

Magico is not my thing but it is possible that the set-ups I heard were not optimal - impressive and very expensive systems though.

Rockport I don't know, but I'm curious.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 06-24-2014, 06:33 PM

The G1, G2 & G3 all share the same 3 drivers, differing only in their twin bass drivers, which are 225mm, 175mm and 135mm respectively.
When we listened to the G2s and G3s, the only difference that I could hear was in the bass, where the G2s were deeper and fuller.
The Giya cabinet only influences the bass, it has no influence on the other drivers, which are self contained units.
Apart from the sound quality we wanted a speaker that did not dominate the room, and that we wouldn't get tired of living with.
The Giya G2, with its slender, tapering top section fitted the brief perfectly, it's an elegant and beautiful addition to our room, visually and sonically.
Two years on we have no regrets with our choice.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:46 PM

My room is about the size of yours and while I loved the sound of the G3 I took a pass on purchasing after my demo. They sounded good but they just didn't improve enough on the sound to make me feel there was nothing better out there. Indeed, I felt the Sasha 1 to be better in some areas, the G3 in others.

Then when I got a chance to demo the G2, I knew from when they were dialed in placement-wise they would not be leaving.

I think the G1s would be too large for my room, and I never got a chance to demo Alexias in my home.

If you can afford them, I'd skip straight to demoing the G2s.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
My room is about the size of yours and while I loved the sound of the G3 I took a pass on purchasing after my demo. They sounded good but they just didn't improve enough on the sound to make me feel there was nothing better out there. Indeed, I felt the Sasha 1 to be better in some areas, the G3 in others.

Then when I got a chance to demo the G2, I knew from when they were dialed in placement-wise they would not be leaving.

I think the G1s would be too large for my room, and I never got a chance to demo Alexias in my home.

If you can afford them, I'd skip straight to demoing the G2s.
I will be hearing the g2's this weekend. Hoping to be blown away but the dealer I am visiting seems to think I might like the Magico Q3 better. Will see.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:40 PM

I auditioned Giya G2, Magico Q3, Magico S5, and Rockport Avior this weekend. I posted my review in the Magico forum if anyone is interested. The Giya was very good and although I ranked the Magico Q3 ahead of the Giya G2 I haven't made up my mind yet...
Old 07-16-2014, 04:35 PM

Just read your comparison of the Magico vs the Vivid. Interesting that you preferred the Magico as the dealer said you would, yet your review itself read like the G2 was the better speaker.

Playing louder in a less stressed way and less obvious detail says to me that you are getting a more natural sound. If a speaker is hyper detailed it makes me wonder if it has a emphasis on that aspect of the music, or typically the treble. Also, less bass often sounds like more detail because of what is missing. If you find yourself just enjoying the music that's a better sign of longer term satisfaction because you forget you are listening to a hifi.

Don't get me wrong, I'm terrible at making my own hifi purchasing decisions in a logical way. I had decided I wanted my B1 s before I heard them. Of course my choice was also biased by availability and a price drop due to our dollar and possibly a little less " Australia tax " (I think we pay more for stuff because our minimum wage isn't stupidly low like in the US, they figure we are more able to pay, even I tunes is more expensive here). I do wonder however if you preference for the Magico is more about an initially impressive slightly hyped sound and the dealers own bias, which we can be very susceptible to.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briz Vegaas View Post
Just read your comparison of the Magico vs the Vivid. Interesting that you preferred the Magico as the dealer said you would, yet your review itself read like the G2 was the better speaker.

Playing louder in a less stressed way and less obvious detail says to me that you are getting a more natural sound. If a speaker is hyper detailed it makes me wonder if it has a emphasis on that aspect of the music, or typically the treble. Also, less bass often sounds like more detail because of what is missing. If you find yourself just enjoying the music that's a better sign of longer term satisfaction because you forget you are listening to a hifi.

Don't get me wrong, I'm terrible at making my own hifi purchasing decisions in a logical way. I had decided I wanted my B1 s before I heard them. Of course my choice was also biased by availability and a price drop due to our dollar and possibly a little less " Australia tax " (I think we pay more for stuff because our minimum wage isn't stupidly low like in the US, they figure we are more able to pay, even I tunes is more expensive here). I do wonder however if you preference for the Magico is more about an initially impressive slightly hyped sound and the dealers own bias, which we can be very susceptible to.
Thanks for your thoughts. Just for clarity I really liked the Giya G2, Magico Q3 and Magico S5. It's a matter of taste not that one is clearly better. Even now I'm going back and forth between these speakers. Difficult decision….
Old 07-17-2014, 06:04 AM

There is a saying, if all the options are equally good then just make a choice, whichever you pick, it will be a good choice.