AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Analog Pressings

Old 02-16-2018, 08:12 AM
Never Too Much Torque !

analogplanet for reviews
2 Channel Room Mcintosh MC501 x 2, Mcintosh C2300, McIntosh D1100, Turntable:JA Michelle -Gyro SE with SME309 and Shelter 501 MKII, Sonus Faber Stradivari speakers, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Aurender N100H

Home Theater Mcintosh MC207, MX120, Oppo 95 bluray , Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento with Cremona Center (matching homage finish red) front speakers, Mcintosh rear surround speakers, Sony Projector

"Everything is good, until you compare it to something better Masterlu"
Old 02-16-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
analogplanet for reviews
An unbiased site for sure .

I would suggest Steve Hoffman forums as others have....
TAD Reference 1 MkII w/Stillpoints ULTRA5s, Esoteric P-02, D-02, C-02, and A-02, Cybershaft Custom Premium Limited OP21 10 mHz Clock, SHUNYATA TRITON v3 & TYPON QR, Environmental Potentials EP-2050 & EP2750, CH Copper Busbar Main & GE Sub-panel, 20-amp dedicated circuits, Dual 10’ Ground Rods, CADWELD bonding, Avatar Acoustics AfterBurner8 duplexes (5), Elrod MASTER SERIES Statement Gold Powercords (4), Elrod Statement Gold Powercords (2), Elrod Statement Silver Powercords (1), Elrod Statement Gold XLR (2 pair), Shunyata SIGMA AES/EBU 110ohm (2), Shunyata SIGMA CLOCK-50 (3), B.M.C. PureUSB1, Elrod Statement Gold custom speaker cables, Elrod MASTERS SERIES SG JUMPERS (4), Adona AV45CS4, AV45, Composite Audio CF-2010, HRS DPX Damping Plates (11), Stillpoints UltraSS w/Ultra Bases
Old 02-28-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
If you've got a dialed-in vinyl rig and like the way it sounds, why not?

For me, I like the added distortion I get by playing digitally mastered vinyl. That, and the added inconvenience makes it a no-brainer.

Seriously, though, there is a certain enjoyment to be gained in the ritual of playing a vinyl record compared to playing a digital file. It doesn't have anything to do with the sound though.

If I hadn't been playing vinyl for 50 years and put together and uber-tweaked vinyl rig, there is no way I would start now. Modern DAC's are so good they eclipse all but the very best analog mastered vinyl.

My 5 year old son said it best: "Dad, could you play one of those big black CD's?"

Sure.
I still smile when I read this post...True and yet very witty.

Analog Preamp....McIntosh C1100T/C1100c
Amps....McIntosh MC601's (2)
DAC ....Cary Audio DMS-500
Speakers....Martin Logan CLX-Art
Subwoofers.... Martin Logan Balanced Force 212's (2)
Turntable....VPI Classic Signature-Ortofon Cadenza Blue Cart
Interconnects/Power Cables...Nordost Odin/Valhalla 2

Old 07-17-2018, 07:50 AM

I enjoyed reading this thread. Many of the opinions people have voiced here are exactly how I feel.

If I take my best vinyl recordings and compare them to the best digital, there’s no question in my mind that the vinyl wins. However, every recording is different! That’s why I like having both an analog rig as well as a full digital one.

Any time I buy new music, I research online which version sounds the best and buy that version!

2 Channel:
Speakers: Magico M3's
Subs: REL 25 x 2
Amps: McIntosh 601 x 2
Preamp: McIntosh C52
Digital: Esoteric D02x; Esoteric P02x; Aurender W20
Analog: Clearaudio Master Innovation with 12 inch Universal Tonearm and Goldfinger statement cart; Esoteric E-03 phono stage
Power: 3 Furutech GTX-D (R) receptacles with wall plates; Torus AVR20 power conditioner; Wireworld Silver Electra PC's
Rack: HRS SXR Signature with M3X

Home Theater:^^ +

Processor: Anthem AVM 60
Center, Rears, and mids speakers: B&W HTM1; B&W CM6 x 2 and B&W CCM 662 x 2; WW cabling
Subs: JL Audio F113v2 X4
Amp: McIntosh 8207
Source: OPPO 205
Output: Sony VPL-VW675ES projector on SI 132 in zero edge screen with LED Backlight

Room treatments: Vicoustics
Old 07-18-2018, 03:29 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Done well, vinyl is more expensive.
Done right, vinyl is more work,

Vinyl abides because it sounds better - a lot better.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:34 PM
It is turned down!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Done well, vinyl is more expensive.
Done right, vinyl is more work,

Vinyl abides because it sounds better - a lot better.

AMP's: Momentum M-400's
Pre-amp: D'Agostino Momentum
Digital:dCS Vivaldi DAC, Clock & Upsampler
Analog:SME 20/3 , Esoteric E-03, Benz Ruby
Speakers: Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2
Cables: Transparent Opus Speaker & Interconnects - Reference Powerlink MM2x Power
Power: Shunyata Denali
Old 07-21-2018, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
What's the point of listening to vinyl that was mastered from digital? Not only are you missing out on the whole point of listening to analog in the first place but chances are, with all the variables that go into setting up a great sounding vinyl rig, your final result is worse than it would be if you listened to that same music in digital.

Serge...

In theory I would agree with you. Makes no sense to listen to a vinyl that was digitally mastered.
In practice it is an other story.
I keep buying lots of vinyls and at least in France, the vinyl departments get bigger everyday.
In my system, most vinyls even mastered from digital sound "better" to me than the digital file even with HD recordings. I do not know precisely what is going on. Maybe the special sound "massage" is given by the Koetsu Urushi Vermillion. A bit like what happens with Shindo electronics. It is not really "better" to speak precisely. It is more involving, it attracts you deeper in the listening. It transforms the experience of listening to music into a deeply focused meditation.
To speak simply : nothing in my system is more musical than the Verdier with the Koetsu cartridge. No matter if the vinyl is a pure analog one or not.
Maybe you will hear it one day !
[BTW, I am replacing my inspired from Petite Latour speakers with speakers inspired by the Latour but using TAD 2001 compressions instead of the Westrex ones. And of course still the fabulous Altec 416 drivers....]
Old 07-21-2018, 02:14 AM
Vinyl Rocks!

I generally agree that my favorite LP's were definitely analog masters. That said one LP I own and really enjoy is Michael Hedges Aerial Boundaries and it is definitely mastered from digital and the LP for sure sounds better than any digital file I've heard of that recording. No idea why and for sure there are many digital mastered LP's that are trash but I can't say its always true for sure. Depends on the recording and the mastering process.

George
EMM DA2 Reference|Aurender N100H
MIT Oracle
Old 07-21-2018, 05:33 PM

Default How does vinyl compare to HD digital?

“How does vinyl compares to HD digital?”

I think that the answer requires categorization in terms of price range and it should not be limited to HD sources.

Based on my recent experience, a $5k dollars digital front end that can upsample and convert all sources to DSD512 can outperform an analog set up of the same price. And I am not talking about playing HD files only. My 16/44 music coming from Tidal or regular (ripped) CDs and played in DSD 512 sound better than my LPs.

I do not know at which price point analog is better than digital. But given what I have experienced, I personally see no reason or need to spend more money on my analog gear or any reason to buy expensive HD files either.

Today’s digital is not the same digital of 10 years ago. Paraphrasing the Oldsmobile commercial: This is not your father’s digital.

Last edited by nicoff; 07-21-2018 at 06:48 PM.