AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 03-17-2016, 06:13 PM
Chief Toneologist

So that's what a professional review is supposed to be like. Not like this joker

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpJq7hGmcA8[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__MAuavKBj4[/ame]

Seriously, nicely done review!

Alberto
Old 03-17-2016, 07:35 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWB75 View Post
The MM has a 40dB gain and is adjustable plus or minus 6dB from there. The MM stage is load adjustable from 50 to 1000 Pf. Not sure how that translates in ohms.

The MC has a 60dB gain, also adjustable plus or minus 6 dB. The load is adjustable from 50 to 1000 ohms. Not sure why this is in ohms and the other in Pf.
BWB75.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado.

I want to take a moment to help clarify the moving magnet and moving coil settings for you. Nearly all moving magnet phono cartridges require a 47K ohm resistance so manufacturers set the resistance at this value in the phono stage and it is not adjustable. What impacts the performance of moving magnet phono cartridge performance is the capacitance loading. Picofarad (pF) adjustment allows the user to fine tune the capacitance value to be as close as possible to the total picofarads of the moving magnet cartridge and the interconnects. These values can vary quite a bit, hence the wide pF adjustment range.

Moving coil phono cartridges present a different requirement. They are essentially immune to capacitance loading but are very sensitive to resistance loading (ohms). This is why the moving coil phono stage on premium preamplifiers and phono stage preamplifiers allow for adjusting the resistance loading to match the specific requirement of a moving coil cartridge. By changing the ohms value you can dial in the smoothest and widest frequency response a moving coil cartridge has to offer.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 03-17-2016, 07:37 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Alberto.......There is only one Alberto. Not to worry, your V-views are true treasures.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 03-17-2016, 08:23 PM
Alien Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
So that's what a professional review is supposed to be like. Not like this joker

Seriously, nicely done review!

Alberto
Alberto: the C52 is a very desirable preamp and I admit the review did make me want it, and yes the quality of the video and narration did look professional, but the camera-work and the scripting of dialogue seemed very much like a commercial to me.
On the other hand, your reviews may not have the video quality but that's easy for me to ignore because your words, both eloquent and passionate, felt far more genuine. It's that sincerity I feel from you that make your reviews so convincing.

Lossless > D100 / Yami YP 450 tt > MA7000 > KEF RDM3 / SVS SB2000 / Too much music, not enough time.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:39 PM

Jdandy - Your explanation is truly helpful - probably to more than just me. Great example of what makes a great forum. Glad to be here.

Alberto - My wife and I had so much fun watching your reviews! They are awesome! Well done, Sir!
l MA7900 Integrated Amp l Sonus Faber Concerto Speakers l Clearaudio Performance Turntable w/Ortofon Credenza Cartridge l Rega Saturn CD Player l Marantz Tuner l PlayStation-4 l Transparent MM2 Cables & Power l
Old 03-18-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zele View Post
I think it comes down to what kind of a sound you like and how much you are challanged on the space side. I personally would upgrade to the C52, with that I would get my favorite McIntosh sound and at the same time reduce system complexity by having to have one box less. When I compared the sound of the McIntosh internal DAC of my C2500 to the sound of Auralic Vega, I actually preferred the sound of the interal DAC. But if you like the sound of the Bryston DAC and space is no issue than it would be a different case....
Very good points. It really comes down "ideally" to getting the C52 to do a home demo. Space isn't an issue. That is cool that your DAC comparison favors the C2500.

BWB75, that was a nice review of the C52 and another welcome to AA.

Alberto, I have watched those youtube videos many times in the passed and you do a great job. Your accent gives it a nice added flare. It reminds me of the actor Ricardo Montalban when he would say "Rich Corinthian Leather" in the Chrysler car commercial"

~Mike
Old 03-18-2016, 01:30 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWB75 View Post
Jdandy - Your explanation is truly helpful - probably to more than just me. Great example of what makes a great forum. Glad to be here.

Alberto - My wife and I had so much fun watching your reviews! They are awesome! Well done, Sir!
You guys are all just too kind, but the real star is anyone who can get their wife to watch audio review videos .

I wonder why there aren't more video reviews of these products. I really enjoy reading the magazines, but the video experience is another thing.

Alberto
Old 03-18-2016, 01:31 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgard View Post

Alberto, I have watched those youtube videos many times in the passed and you do a great job. Your accent gives it a nice added flare. It reminds me of the actor Ricardo Montalban when he would say "Rich Corinthian Leather" in the Chrysler car commercial"

~Mike
Thank you Mike, I remember those commercials well ... and take it as a nice compliment.

Alberto
Old 03-27-2016, 05:45 PM

I was looking at the c-50 vs. the c-52, and they removed an important feature to us tape heads. The epl/tape monitor is gone. It seems that McIntosh is continuing to remove features when they add new ones.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:10 PM
Merry Christmas to all

cpreal.......McIntosh also removed the processor loop on the C50 from the C52.