AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 05-06-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
I would definitely not go for another push-pull KT88. It would not sound different enough. On the other hand, it might be difficult to find a really high-power SET amp.

I would not rule out the Lafon entirely or quite yet. You mention that you rarely go above 3W. While 10W will not be enough for big symphonic music played at realistic volume (or rock played quite loud) I believe it would be more than adequate for more intimate and quiet listening sessions. I would also add that class-A/SET watts "sound more powerful" than your typical watts. Don't ask me how or why, but it seems to be the case.

In other words, you can use the Lafons for some sessions where the music and the target volume are suitable - and you have the "big guns" MC2301 if you want hear Mahler with full volume and dynamics.

I did this quite a bit when I had my MC501s. Sometimes I would plug in the Bottlehead SET (2W/ch) and still have a great (if lower volume) listening session.

Alberto
Exactly what I thought Alberto !
I will copy your thoughts and paste them to send to the greek importer !
Have a nice evening ! ( don't forget your wife ! )
Old 05-08-2011, 01:36 AM

Alberto,

I wanted to share with you what Mr Batjikis, the Shindo importer for Greece, just replied to me. I know he is a great person now and I will buy from him with confidence, should I follow the green way according to Master Stephen and Preacher Alberto !
"Lafon GM70 may indeed give you what you are after provided that your speakers are not a difficult load.

It is true that the expression of loudness in SE designs is different to that of PP designs, leading to the illusion that SE amplifiers are more powerful than they really are. I would say that this is more a sonic characteristic rather than an ability to drive difficult loads with low power.

Given that only you can decide what is satisfactory for your musical tastes, you are also the one to judge what is a problem in your system and what is not. My suggestion is to borrow a SE amplifier from a friend and try it with your speakers. This would give you a good idea of what the limitations may be.

There have been many discussions since the 90's regarding the possible compatibility of SE amplifiers with average sensitivity speakers, but I feel that including Shindo in such discussions miss the point. Shindo products are genuine Japanese artisan creations made in very limited quantities. They posses a unique sonic character no matter the design topology, type of tubes used, or power rating. It is up to the user to reveal their quality in the right system.*"

I hope you will appreciate !
Cheers,
Old 05-08-2011, 04:05 AM

Alberto,
Did you have a chance to hear the MONTRACHET EL34 ?
I know it's a push pull but it is class A and from what I read, it has not the extreme finesse of the Cortese, but it swings more and it is highly musical....
Old 05-08-2011, 04:51 AM

Hi Jérôme,

I think that, one day, we need to talk together since we are both French. However, I don't have much experience with the Shindo amps: I know better their preamps
Old 05-08-2011, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellindo View Post
Hi Jérôme,

I think that, one day, we need to talk together since we are both French. However, I don't have much experience with the Shindo amps: I know better their preamps
Hello !
I can't send you any pm because you're not a subscriber.
You can send me you infos at jeromewanono@yahoo.fr
And BTW, Welcome to AA !
Ouuppps 98 posts, you're not a newbie here ! We probably don't go to the same forums....

Last edited by Jerome W; 05-08-2011 at 04:57 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:42 AM

Jérôme, I'm Laurenta on the French forum: so, you know me.
And I was a good client of Alain C. in Paris, so we might have already met in person, in the past years.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:34 PM

Alberto, Cellindo, Stephen,

The greek importer finally proposes me the Corton Charlemagne EL34 monoblocks :
Shindo Labs Amplification
Did you hear them ?
Thanks !
Old 05-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Alberto, Cellindo, Stephen,

The greek importer finally proposes me the Corton Charlemagne EL34 monoblocks :
Shindo Labs Amplification
Did you hear them ?
Thanks !
I haven't heard the Cortons, but it's not a single-ended design. I am sure they sound wonderful - and you'd have plenty of power - but it's another push-pull amp.

I'd hate to be in your shoes having to make such a decision without being able to hear them in person first. Personally, if I did not have a way to try them out first, I would not pull the trigger. I've gotten lucky a few times doing that, but I also knew that if I changed my mind I would not have lost too much time and money. This does not seem to be the case here.

Alberto
Old 05-08-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
I haven't heard the Cortons, but it's not a single-ended design. I am sure they sound wonderful - and you'd have plenty of power - but it's another push-pull amp.

I'd hate to be in your shoes having to make such a decision without being able to hear them in person first. Personally, if I did not have a way to try them out first, I would not pull the trigger. I've gotten lucky a few times doing that, but I also knew that if I changed my mind I would not have lost too much time and money. This does not seem to be the case here.

Alberto
Yes, buying amps without listening to them is a tough decision !!
I only did this with McIntosh products in the past and I have been happy with all of them. Moreover, selling them has always been easy.
The Shindo prices are comparable to Mc amps, and much more expensive if you count the price per Watt. So yes, a tough decision....
Old 05-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Yes, buying amps without listening to them is a tough decision !!
I only did this with McIntosh products in the past and I have been happy with all of them. Moreover, selling them has always been easy.
The Shindo prices are comparable to Mc amps, and much more expensive if you count the price per Watt. So yes, a tough decision....
Any chance you can get yourself invited to listen to the system in some of the people in your local Shindo forums. Perhaps you can offer to bring a bottle of wine whose name matches the amplifier you'd be listening to .

Alberto