AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 05-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Just move that decimal point a few to the right for me!
Ivan, in your case everything ($, watts, sq.ft., ...) is a few decimal points to the right -- but somehow I think you'll manage just fine .

Alberto
Old 05-06-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto
I've just put a deposit on a Monbrison preamp! It's kind of soon after getting the Cortese and - frankly - I can't imagine my system sounding any better, but it was a great opportunity so I jumped on it.

Even if it sounds like the Auriges, its looks will be worth it:

Behold the beauty:

Should be gracing my system in about 2 weeks!

Alberto
Alberto...congrats my friend. It's another step closer to the delicious sound of live music. With the addition of the Shindo interconnects, A23 speaker cables & Mr.T you'll never leave your home.

Good Listening,

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 05-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1 fan View Post
Alberto...With the addition of the Shindo interconnects, A23 speaker cables & Mr.T you'll never leave your home.
Dave, don't say that "you'll never leave your home." I am already dangerously close to that ... I get home from work and zip to my listening room. Emerge for dinner. Finish eating ... and zoom back into my listening room. Wake up on week-end and zoom into the listening room.

I think my wife would prefer I had a proper, old-fashion, affair at this point .

Alberto
Old 05-06-2011, 10:36 AM

Alberto,

Thanks very much for the advice. Your words are gold.
This is what I sent to the Greek importer :

"Dear Mr Batjakis,

Just to give you more informations about my system and motivations.
My aim is probably to keep the 2301's and have the choice to switch between them and the Shindo amp(s) depending on my mood / type of music played and so on.
My preamp is the McIntosh C1000P. It has 3 or 4 outputs for power amps. So the 2301's and the Shindo amps would stay connected all the time to the preamp. And I will only switch the speaker cables depending on which amp I want to listen to.
My speakers have a 4 ohm nominal impedance and 89 dB efficiency.
I don't want to change them because I love them.
I also love very much the 2301's : they are the best amps I ever heard, no matter the price. But of course, I did not hear everything.
I want to try Shindo amps because they are supposed to be very different than many amps and this would give my system some "fresh air".
I would prefer monoblocks but I'm also opened for a stereo power amp. "

What is strange is we had a couple of mails since this morning and since I mentionned the 2301's, he did not say a word

Of course, I won't buy a Shindo amp if I can't listen to a system who uses it.
But I'm confident I will like this kind of sound. I think that we have similar tastes.
There is a small Shindo club on the french hifi forum. The guys look pretty cool and open minded. I will try a "trade listening" if they want to : go to listen to a Shindo amp and have one or two of them come to hear the 2301's if they want to. That should be easy.

About cutoms finally, no problem. The dealer reminded me that, opposite to what we could think, Greece is in the EEC ( )and therefore, no customs control will be made in France !

BTW, I wish we could have in France the same customs as greeks....

You'll be the first informed with Stephen of what's going on here !
Cheers,
Old 05-06-2011, 10:38 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
Ivan, in your case everything ($, watts, sq.ft., ...) is a few decimal points to the right -- but somehow I think you'll manage just fine .

Alberto
No regrets here...

MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 05-06-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
Dave, don't say that "you'll never leave your home." I am already dangerously close to that ... I get home from work and zip to my listening room. Emerge for dinner. Finish eating ... and zoom back into my listening room. Wake up on week-end and zoom into the listening room.

I think my wife would prefer I had a proper, old-fashion, affair at this point .

Alberto
Old 05-06-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto

Alberto
Alberto...you are now in the Green Waters.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 05-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Alberto,

Thanks very much for the advice. Your words are gold.
This is what I sent to the Greek importer :

"Dear Mr Batjakis,

Just to give you more informations about my system and motivations.
My aim is probably to keep the 2301's and have the choice to switch between them and the Shindo amp(s) depending on my mood / type of music played and so on.
My preamp is the McIntosh C1000P. It has 3 or 4 outputs for power amps. So the 2301's and the Shindo amps would stay connected all the time to the preamp. And I will only switch the speaker cables depending on which amp I want to listen to.
My speakers have a 4 ohm nominal impedance and 89 dB efficiency.
I don't want to change them because I love them.
I also love very much the 2301's : they are the best amps I ever heard, no matter the price. But of course, I did not hear everything.
I want to try Shindo amps because they are supposed to be very different than many amps and this would give my system some "fresh air".
I would prefer monoblocks but I'm also opened for a stereo power amp. "

What is strange is we had a couple of mails since this morning and since I mentionned the 2301's, he did not say a word

Of course, I won't buy a Shindo amp if I can't listen to a system who uses it.
But I'm confident I will like this kind of sound. I think that we have similar tastes.
There is a small Shindo club on the french hifi forum. The guys look pretty cool and open minded. I will try a "trade listening" if they want to : go to listen to a Shindo amp and have one or two of them come to hear the 2301's if they want to. That should be easy.

About cutoms finally, no problem. The dealer reminded me that, opposite to what we could think, Greece is in the EEC ( )and therefore, no customs control will be made in France !

BTW, I wish we could have in France the same customs as greeks....

You'll be the first informed with Stephen of what's going on here !
Cheers,
Great news about customs. I had thought about the EEC rules, but figured you knew something I didn't. That makes it a lot easier!

Getting in touch with the local Shindo club sounds like a great idea. I am sure they are a passionate bunch and would love to share their system.

Alberto

PS Your idea of using your preamp to drive two different amps is great. I am a believer in flexible systems (you might recall I used 2 preamps to change to the sound based on the quality of the source material.)

If you do that, you can afford to go to extremes and go for the full SET sound without being concerned that it would be too rich or smooth - since, if the recording (or the mood) calls for it, you can switch back to the more neutral sounding MC2301s.

Sounds like a great plan!

Alberto
Old 05-06-2011, 11:57 AM

Thanks Alberto,

Yes I like also the idea to tweak the sound depending on the recording / mood / time of day and so on. I will even keep the ARC 100.2 for ambiance music and my son's parties...
Moreover, collecting tube amps is a funny hobby !
The greek importer told me that the Lafon GM70 could be not enough for my speakers because he said that the power of 20 W is for 16 ohms only. At 8 ohms, it goes down to 10 W. He suggested Corton Charlemagne, but I 'm not looking for an other push pull of KT88.... : I have the King of them !
So I will wait for his other suggestions...
Old 05-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Thanks Alberto,

Yes I like also the idea to tweak the sound depending on the recording / mood / time of day and so on. I will even keep the ARC 100.2 for ambiance music and my son's parties...
Moreover, collecting tube amps is a funny hobby !
The greek importer told me that the Lafon GM70 could be not enough for my speakers because he said that the power of 20 W is for 16 ohms only. At 8 ohms, it goes down to 10 W. He suggested Corton Charlemagne, but I 'm not looking for an other push pull of KT88.... : I have the King of them !
So I will wait for his other suggestions...
I would definitely not go for another push-pull KT88. It would not sound different enough. On the other hand, it might be difficult to find a really high-power SET amp.

I would not rule out the Lafon entirely or quite yet. You mention that you rarely go above 3W. While 10W will not be enough for big symphonic music played at realistic volume (or rock played quite loud) I believe it would be more than adequate for more intimate and quiet listening sessions. I would also add that class-A/SET watts "sound more powerful" than your typical watts. Don't ask me how or why, but it seems to be the case.

In other words, you can use the Lafons for some sessions where the music and the target volume are suitable - and you have the "big guns" MC2301 if you want hear Mahler with full volume and dynamics.

I did this quite a bit when I had my MC501s. Sometimes I would plug in the Bottlehead SET (2W/ch) and still have a great (if lower volume) listening session.

Alberto