AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 01-15-2013, 08:11 PM

Default Trial and Error.

A trial is a review of the facts by a judge or jury to determine the truth. To conduct a trial is to use some form of experimental technique to confirm or refute an hypothesis. Not to fall into the argument of scientific method, which this is not I took home a Clear Audio Outer Limit peripheral weight/turntable clamp to hear its benefit. I would hope to discover the truth but I am afraid I may only conduct an invalid study.

The Outer Limit (OL) would be used on my Ovation table in addition to the standard spindle clamp. At an astronomical price of $1600 it is almost one half the price of my Benz Micro SLR! I was hoping to make a determination of absolute benefit and relative value.

First the item is beautifully cut from a solid piece of stainless steel. It also has a serial number. I am fortunate enough to have received the blessed number"666"! I couldn't make this stuff up. A silicon sheath fits over the Delrin platter and fits perfectly down about 1-2 inches. The album fits on nicely and the spindle clamp is applied. The large Whamo metal ring fits on top. The record is compressed but not as much as I would have thought. Some very warped albums are made playable but not entirely flat. I guess some laws of physic are not immutable.

The added weight keeps the platter spinning for about a minute or two after the motor is stopped. Not as long as an Innovation but longer than the Ovation naked. The added weight reduces the wow and flutter especially on the tracks towards the center if the album.

Another big change is the bass. It is much tighter and quicker. There does seen to be less bass but this is likely a reduction in distortion.

The imaging is much improved with better side to side and fore to aft definition. The images do seem more chiselled compared to the Ovation without the OL. The imaging almost borders on the artificial. If you prefer a more diffuse presentation you may not enjoy the OL as much

The treble has a marked reduction in hash and distortion. Interestingly, I was able to increase the loading on my Rhea phono pre amp to allow for more detail without being assaulted with upper end distortion.

Overall, I find the OL to be a remarkable improvement. The blacks are blacker and the images are more precise. Some others have commented about a reduction in dynamics with the use of outer compression of records. I would agree that it seems less in your face but I am not sure which is more accurate. I could see someone preferring one or the other. I consider the OL compressed album to be more correct.

So what are the drawbacks? The co$t is obviously the fly in the ointment. Does the OL provide good value? I would suggest if does in my setup. To move up in the CA world I would need to go to the Innovation compact. I am not sure how much benefit there would be to make that change but I am sure it would be appreciable. I think the craftsmanship alone makes it a good value. A friend of mine who is trying to actually make an OL of his own indicated that the billet of SS required to make the OL might cost up to $400, although I would bet Siemens pays alot less.

I guess I might be inclined to keep the OL. Whether this is the truth or simply my truth us debatable. If I were to move up the CA ladder I would still be able to take my OL with me all the way up to the Statement. I will certainly never have the chance to own such a "Devilishly" good Outer Limit again.

Mike Segal.