AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc

MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc Ultra High End Equipment

Old 08-11-2017, 03:22 AM

Default DCS Rossini

Dear members,

as user of a Puccini since 5 years, I am thinking for upgrading to Rossini player. I read many of you have the chance to have a Vivaldi stack , but I didn't read something about the Rossini.

So can you share your experience with Rossini. It would be very helpful
Old 08-12-2017, 09:26 AM

Default DCS Rossini

Do you have the opportunity to listen to one? Also what will be your main source of getting digital to the DAC? I have both a Vivaldi stack (sans transport) in my main system and Rossini/clock (sans cd transport) in study system. The Vivaldi is better but the Rossini is one of the best values out there if you don't require SACD playback. A third option is Vivaldi DAC paired with dCS bridge.

Most of my digital music comes from ripped CDs and hi Rez downloads supplemented with some Tidal streams. All of this is managed by Roon ROCK on i7 NUC via Ethernet.

I don't use USB given inherent noise and IMO Ethernet is a higher quality source. I highly recommend the Rossini, it was better than the Linn, MSB and ARC options I listened to....IMO
Old 08-12-2017, 09:33 AM

Default DCS Rossini

Here is something I provided to a similar question a few months ago

Unfortunately I am going to be little help comparing the dCS units with current other digital contenders. I did compare the Vivaldi stack to the MSB flagship over 5 years ago when I bought the Vivaldi and the Rossini to ARC and Linn when I bought it....and I felt like the dCS units provided a more natural presentation with more resolution, a wider and deeper soundstage along with a more three dimensional picture of the individual performers. I have literally never heard anything better than the Vivaldi and it has gotten better over the years. I primarily listen to ripped CD's, high rez PCM and DSD downloads along with Tidal - initially using the Vivaldi app but more recently using Roon. I do not have Roon do any processing and let the upsampler handle the DXD upsampling or DSD passthrough into the DAC.

With respect to the Vivaldi vs the Rossini. I have them in two different systems so my comparison is not completely apples/apples. However, I am comfortable in saying the Vivaldi DAC/clock/upsampler is quite a bit better. primarily in those areas I discuss above. but it is more like 20-25% better for 3X the cost when you include all of the cabling. And in my study system which uses Wilson Alidas and Ayre VXR twenty/KX5 twenty components - I am not sure that the Vivaldi's superiority would even completely come through so the Rossini/clock is a good match for that system. And I do believe the clock on both systems makes a huge difference is timing which comes through as pace and rhythm.

if I were to put a new system in the study - I would consider the Vivaldi One - which has the Rossini upsampler but Vivaldi DAC (and comes in about 15-20k cheaper than the Vivaldi stack sans transport + cables) or to be even more frugal since I don't use a transport much - the network bridge and Vivaldi Dac and Rossini clock combo is an option to consider Especially if you get a good dedicated NUC to play roon. I find using Roon to upsample to the Rossini does sound better than using the Rossini upsampler and the Vivalidi DAC is superior. So the bridge receiving upsampled data and passing through to the Vivaldi DAC with Rossini clock could be the best value/performance combo out there

I may actually switch to that from the Rossini but want to have dealer bring out to compare. The Rossini is really good so it may not be enough to switch

Last edited by enatai252; 08-12-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:56 AM

I haven't tried the dcs rossini yet at home, it's on my list for next year potentially. Esp if I can find a used one. I loved the sound of it at the dealer compared to others.

For the bridge, I would encourage folks to try a general network access point that has wired Ethernet. I get amazing results with my Google WiFi puck and running Ethernet to my component from there . Ymmv so be sure to measure.
Work Audeze LCD-XC, Audeze Deckard
Old 08-13-2017, 08:15 AM

I want from a Puccini to a Scarlatti stack ~4 years back. Now to Vivaldi. I've heard the Rossini at my dealer a few times. I can assure you, no regrets on moving up. None at all...enatai252 has good advice on the options...especially if you're not spinning a lot of discs...if you are the Rossini with cd drive is a great idea.

Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
Preamp: Robert Koda K10
Amp: Nagra HD Amps
Cables: Transparent Opus Gen 5 & Magnum Opus phono
Power Transparent Opus, Opus Source Power Cords & Opus Power Isolators
Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1
Old 08-14-2017, 12:51 PM

Dear all,

already many thanks for you experiences. I will use the cd drive rossini, as I hava a lot of CD, especially coming from Japan most of time far better than European. I had the chance to listen the Rossini at home on four days. So yes, it is a huge step from Puccini, more musical, wider and deeper soundstage, it seems to get a HD soundstage.
My question was more focused on the facts I have the impression that members of AA are more interested in MBK or an Esoteric. So would a K01X better than a Rossini? I would to get a precise idea before changing.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:17 AM
Just Pure Lucky

Just a shout out to Jim (stillone) who incorporated a dCS Rossini in his fabulous system recently & is NUC shopping. I'm sure he's read this thread -- nice move Sir.

Best,

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Valhalla TA cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia in Argento Silver/Black grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit.
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution Bar:Shunyata Everest 8000 w/Omega XC Power Cable.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:3M Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110 ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspock View Post
Dear all,

already many thanks for you experiences. I will use the cd drive rossini, as I hava a lot of CD, especially coming from Japan most of time far better than European. I had the chance to listen the Rossini at home on four days. So yes, it is a huge step from Puccini, more musical, wider and deeper soundstage, it seems to get a HD soundstage.
My question was more focused on the facts I have the impression that members of AA are more interested in MBK or an Esoteric. So would a K01X better than a Rossini? I would to get a precise idea before changing.
I am very happy with my choice of the Rossini. I have not had the K01x nor a Grandioso in my set-up so I cannot comment. I am sure these are excellent units and attract many supporters. If they were currently MQA ready I might have considered them for a audition.

I have had the K01 and D03/P03 plus clock in my set-up and neither bettered the 808v6 except in industrial design. The MSB IV did challenge the Meridian but in the end the additional cost for that set-up was a bit much and the industrial design was not for me. The MSB Select II is amazing but there is no way I will pay close to $100k for a DAC.

I will wait a bit before I add the clock to my set-up and also might try the Vivaldi plus Bridge to see how it compares in my room to the Rossini.

I can tell you that you will be happy whether you choose the Rossini or a K01x.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:02 PM

Great thread and great advice. I'm trying out the Rossini and really liking it!

Using it direct to a Constellation amp also on loan. Plan to try with Dan A'gostino Progression Stereo amp.

I'm surprised how good it sounds direct without a pre-amp in the chain.

Last edited by lostinla; 04-20-2018 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Added content
Old 05-05-2018, 03:42 PM

Being fashionably late to this thread, I would add that I previously incorporated a K-03 in my system which was replaced by Meridian 808v5 which I happily lived with for several years. However, I made the mistake of stopping by JS Audio in Bethesda while visiting friends in the area and listed to the Rossini player. Simply put, it was amazing. Needless to say, my weekend visit turned out to be quite expensive as I ordered one on the spot and let go of my Meridian. The Meridian is a fine player; however, the Rossini was more detailed and threw a deeper and wider soundstage than did the Meridian. Through the Rossini, the music came across as more organic.

I decided to try the Rossini without a clock for a while. While I enjoyed my first year with the Rossini without the clock, I ended up purchasing a clock. Although the difference is not night and day, the clock improves the performance of the Rossini in a meaningful way.

I will not listen to the Vivaldi One or the traditional stack until my budget allows either to be a realistic possibility, so there's that.