AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 04-21-2017, 04:20 PM

I have the now discontinued PS Audio PerfectWave transport, with an I2S connection to my DirectStream DAC (running Torreys), and it sounds pretty darn good!

Has anyone who is familiar with that combination had the chance to audition the DirectStream memory player with the DirectStream DAC? If so, impressions on the differences?
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling
Old 07-19-2017, 11:07 AM

Default DirectStream Transport+DAC is "The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejr1953 View Post
I have the now discontinued PS Audio PerfectWave transport, with an I2S connection to my DirectStream DAC (running Torreys), and it sounds pretty darn good!

Has anyone who is familiar with that combination had the chance to audition the DirectStream memory player with the DirectStream DAC? If so, impressions on the differences?
When I received my new DirectStream transport, hooked it to my DirectStream DAC with the I2S cable, the "handshake" between the transport & the DAC failed and the transport "down converted" SACDs from DSD to PCM). On a call with PS Audio support we discovered that my early version of the DAC had a problem with the "digital board" broadcasting its ID, so I returned the DAC for repair, just got it back a few days ago!

The DirectStream DAC + transport brings out more detail from my disks than I've every heard, CDs and SACDs. With SACDs, the level of detail is beyond anything I've heard! Acoustic instruments and vocals have a smoothness I've never heard before on digital. The most striking difference is the "visceral" impact from instruments, the "feeling" of the violin vibrating, the "percussive" sound of the hammer striking the piano string, and the "timbre" accompanying the "ping" when the drummer strikes a ride cymbal. The bass seems more defined and "distinct".

I also feel that each instrument and voice seems to have more "distinctness", but that might be the result of the firmware upgrade on the DAC to Huron.

I am really really impressed by this setup!

I am one who was just "smitten" by MQA. I found that, when a track was really well recorded, that "distinctness" and the "timbre" was really special. I'd say that Huron + the DirectStream DAC + the DirectStream transport is even better sounding than MQA.
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling
Old 07-30-2017, 07:20 PM

This is unbelievable.

The Memory Player into the DirectStream DAC has opened up SACDs like nothing I've ever heard. I owned the then current Accuphase digital stack (900/901) at several times the price, and it wasn't even close to this (on my system, to my ears, in my audio memory (which is faulty)).

I'm going to have to calm down before I give a better review, but it's awesome. As stated on another thread, I'm now completely format agnostic - whatever sounds good, I can play it (except for reel to reel, for which I need another room, or another wife). I can play anything, that is, except MP3.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:28 PM

I know. Right?
Old 07-30-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
This is unbelievable.

The Memory Player into the DirectStream DAC has opened up SACDs like nothing I've ever heard. I owned the then current Accuphase digital stack (900/901) at several times the price, and it wasn't even close to this (on my system, to my ears, in my audio memory (which is faulty)).

I'm going to have to calm down before I give a better review, but it's awesome. As stated on another thread, I'm now completely format agnostic - whatever sounds good, I can play it (except for reel to reel, for which I need another room, or another wife). I can play anything, that is, except MP3.
This makes me excited. I can't wait to test the McIntosh MCT450 with my D1100. I hope to have a similar experience.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:03 PM

Default The only problem is ... I'm stuck

I can't move off of the Little Feat > Waiting for Columbus > SACD. I have to listen to something else and some other source at some point, but it just sounds so good!
Old 08-17-2017, 04:13 PM

OK, I received my DirectStream DAC back from repair (so it would "hand shake" with the DirectStream transport and output DSD to the DAC), just before leaving for an extended vacation!

Now back home, I must say this combination is the best digital I've ever heard! Before vacation I just listened to my SACDs, most of them sounded very "analog" to me, excellent in every way.

The other night I played same "regular" CDs and my jaw just dropped with all the subtle sounds I'd never heard before coming from my speakers, from "regular" CDs.

This DirectStream DAC + DirectStream transport is the "cat's meow" of digital, in my opinion!
Old 08-17-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejr1953 View Post
OK, I received my DirectStream DAC back from repair (so it would "hand shake" with the DirectStream transport and output DSD to the DAC), just before leaving for an extended vacation!

Now back home, I must say this combination is the best digital I've ever heard! Before vacation I just listened to my SACDs, most of them sounded very "analog" to me, excellent in every way.

The other night I played same "regular" CDs and my jaw just dropped with all the subtle sounds I'd never heard before coming from my speakers, from "regular" CDs.

This DirectStream DAC + DirectStream transport is the "cat's meow" of digital, in my opinion!
Good too hear you have found something that exceeds your expectations. Congrats!!
Old 08-20-2017, 04:54 PM

Well recorded and produced SACDs are stunning. Well done cds are much more listenable and even enjoyable depending on the version, but well done SACDs are just stunning.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:21 PM

Default Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
Well recorded and produced SACDs are stunning. Well done cds are much more listenable and even enjoyable depending on the version, but well done SACDs are just stunning.
The 2017 remaster of Sgt. Peppers, stunning! As well, many of the "regular" CDs I've become familiar with, on the DirectStream transport/DAC setup, found a bunch of detail I was missing!

Stunning...and sometimes I'd say "jaw dropping".