AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Focal Speakers

Focal Speakers The Spirit of Sound

Old 08-20-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggar View Post
This seems to be the right place to ask this question. If I'm in the wrong location, perhaps someone could redirect me.

I listen through Paradigm Signature S8 loudspeakers, the Beryllium tweeter has me in its grip. I'm getting a strong upgrade itch. Could someone give me a studied opinion about whether the Focal Electra 1038 would represent an upgrade for me? I have not heard the Focals yet ( and I have to travel a fair distance to hear them) but everything I read about them suggests that they have that listen all day quality about them. A local guy has a pair of Electra 1037s. Was there such a significant jump between the 1037 and 1038 that I should not consider it?
Big Paradigm fan here, the S8's are great speakers and here in Canada represent a much better value than the 1038's. Aesthetically I like the Paradigm's more as well but it was a shame they dropped the exotic rosewood and bird's eye maple veneers many years ago.

So sound wise the Signatures were Paradigms stab at the higher end sound, making a speaker that could do very well with music and not just home theater which I think they achieved that very well. The Focals particularly the Electra and Utopia line and now the Sopra's have I think always been considered a speaker for music over home theater. Not to say they don't do well in home theater because of course they do a splendid job as do the Paradigm's.

The 1038 perhaps comes a cross as a bit more refined than the S8 but not enough here in Canada to justify the price difference for me personally. I could probably give the advantage of the mids to the 1038, they present as a warmer/softer sound. I think I prefer the bass of the S8's more.

Probably the clear winner will be the new Sopra tower based on people's initial impression of them. So it would seem if you want a clear distinction to look into the Sopra No2 or wait until the larger No3 comes along.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:11 AM

Rod, where did you hear about Sopra no 3's?

I've seen or heard no mention of a number 3 anywhere!
Old 08-20-2015, 11:23 AM

It was back when they were originally announced. It would either be somewhere perhaps here on these forums or over at AVS. A larger tower was rumored to be coming a little ways down the road after the initial launch.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
It was back when they were originally announced. It would either be somewhere perhaps here on these forums or over at AVS. A larger tower was rumored to be coming a little ways down the road after the initial launch.
That's what I heard too...
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 08-20-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Cannot comment on your Paradigms, but there are some very good deals to be had on new Electra's at the moment. My guess is they are being replaced by the Sopra line. Am very pleased with mine.
We have no indication of Sopra replacing the Electra line. The deals to be had are mostly on the alternate finishes. You can get the black ash finish for $2000 less than the other finishes available on the Electra line. And that black ash is no slouch in the looks department. Seems that most just like the other finishes.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 08-20-2015, 11:27 PM

And no slouch in the sound department either Steve

Over the past several weeks I got bit by the upgrade bug after auditioning a pair of Wilson Sabrina's. They are wonderful speakers but a bit too pricey at $16K for an entry level speaker for my money.

I had already spent a lot of time with the B&W 803 Diamonds since I had an opportunity to buy a pair of very gently used ones for a great price. To me these are overlooked speakers for some reason, but to me worth their full asking price of $10K. Awesome speakers.

Next I spent quite a lot of time with the Bowers 802 Diamonds, both at the dealer and at Joey from the forums house. Who can not like these speakers? Great full rich sound, beautiful build quality, very much a statement speaker that serves reference duty for many professional reviewers. I believe they are also a great value at $15K new and less on the preowned market.

I also listened seriously to the Sonus Faber Olympica 3's. Another speaker that seems to be somewhat overlooked. I really do love that speaker. So lush and full. I could listen to them all day with no fatigue. At $13.5K not necessarily over priced, but maybe a bit. $12K sounds about right.

Maybe the hardest thing I've done regarding a purchase decision was today. I had an incredible offer from a out of state dealer on a 3 year old pair of re-certified Wilson Sasha 1's. I passed on them only because I've never heard them and really don't have an opportunity to do so at the local Wilson dealer since I have no intention of buying them new. I don't want a demo only to then go buy elsewhere. Still shaking my head a bit on that decision and may live to regret it.

So on to the Focals. I spent 2 dedicated hours with the 1028be's on Tuesday of this week, followed by 2.5 hours with the 1038be's the following day. I had no history with them and had no real preconceived notions other than a few mostly good if not glowing reviews. To say I was impressed would be an understatement. I won't go on with the typical audiophile descriptions of what I heard, rather just say these are some very nice speakers. After hearing all of the speakers noted above in a very concentrated amount of time, these were at least as good as anything I heard, and if you like crisp, clean, fast, dynamic, articulate speakers, possibly better than any of them, you'll love these. As always it comes down to a matter a taste. There isn't a speaker that I have listened to that I would be unhappy with. The 802's are just such great speakers with such presence and authority. The 803's are extremely well integrated with better performance than they get credit for. The Sonus Fabers are a mystery to me as to why they aren't more highly acclaimed given their warm, lush, clean and dynamic character. They do nothing wrong and just about everything right, even more so than B&W's in my opinion. But man, those Focals! They grab you with a lively, very cohesive attack that take a back seat to nothing. Truly wonderful exciting speakers. They are at the very top of my list as I make my decision. I'm not 100% sure they'll be my purchase, but if I ever get past some remorse over passing on the Wilson's, there's a good chance they'll be my next speakers.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:28 AM

Cool writeup.

I like the Sonus Faber Olympica 3's too, and they were on my shortlist too.
The wood veneer is unbelievable.

All great speakers with big differences.

However, you should try to audition the sopras too!
Old 08-21-2015, 05:41 AM

I've heard the Sopra 1 and 2s. Would like to hear them with something other than Naim amplification before making an opinion.

Liked what I heard enough to want to listen again.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:14 AM

I first heard the Sopras on NAIM gear and found them bland.
It was some of their lower series.

Worked out much better on Mark Levinson gear in the shop.

Without the proper gear match i've found they can also sound a bit dull at lower volumes.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfrg View Post
I first heard the Sopras on NAIM gear and found them bland.
It was some of their lower series.

Worked out much better on Mark Levinson gear in the shop.

Without the proper gear match i've found they can also sound a bit dull at lower volumes.
So the question is, removed from the near placebo effect of the "latest and greatest" how much if any better are they really than the 1038be's?
I don't think I've ever read about a new model whether it be cars, motorcycles, etc., that didn't initially get rave reviews on initial inspection only to be tempered over time. That's NOT to say the Sopras arent leaps beyond the Electra series, but it's always amazing that the older line that got all the superlatives tossed their way for years now becomes ready for retirement, ala the Wilson series of speakers that keep progressing. Speakers of the year one year, and then miles behind the next.