AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Simaudio Moon

Simaudio Moon High End Audiophile Amplifiers and Sound

Old 08-31-2012, 11:18 AM

Oh, come on, are you saying Burmester doesn't have consistency on his amps? Your monos are just the regular stereo 911 bridged. I never liked bridged amps and I think for your needs a single 911 is quite enough power wise.

Converting them to stereo makes them also easier to sell separately allowing you to keep just one of them.

Would you have to send them back to Germany for this or it can be done in the US?
Old 08-31-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anatta View Post
Oh, come on, are you saying Burmester doesn't have consistency on his amps? Your monos are just the regular stereo 911 bridged. I never liked bridged amps and I think for your needs a single 911 is quite enough power wise.

Converting them to stereo makes them also easier to sell separately allowing you to keep just one of them.

Would you have to send them back to Germany for this or it can be done in the US?
No, I am not saying their amps are inconsistent. I can not make any generalizations. I am just saying I should have kept the amp I had.

They have to go back to Germany for the conversion. I do not know the cost of the conversion.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:36 AM

Joe, you're right about preamp. When I replaced my ARC Ref40 with 077, I instantly got
a forceful sound. I think the driving force out of 077 is so strong. But I can't pair 911 with my tube preamp so I don't know 911 character alone. But I know 077 is one athletic.
Yes there is Pass in my country and Xp30's asking price is fairly reasonable.
the stereo 911 I had at home didn't run that warm, I didn't turn it off for 2-3 days, but didn't get very warm. Normally bridged amp will get extra horsepower, at a cost, like halved-damping factor, less low impedance drive capability, I am not sure may be my Moon W7M is a bridged W7 too. Jeff Fritz from Ultra Audio always says Moon W8 has a warm character, but I never heard that from W7M.
I will concentrate on finding new amp that can be driven by my ARC Ref40 as first priority, unless I find one truly outstanding amp that doesn't match ARC Ref40, then I will
sacrifice Ref40. Lucky that Magico Q3 are not very difficult to drive, I can try lower power amplifiers.
I still really much enjoy the excitement with really high quality sound from Burmester, but I just not sure I will happy for long listening. ref40 is much more relax sounding.
I should able to report back when I have chance to try Accuphase Class A amp end of September.

Toga

Last edited by TOGA; 08-31-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:46 AM

TOGA,

Thank you. I agree with your opinions. Everything we hear is so subjective. I love tubes but don't want to deal with the issues. I already love my Dartzeel 108 and don't need to look elsewhere, not sure why I am. I have a few ideas I want to try. Keep me updated on Accuphase.

Thanks!

Last edited by joeinid; 08-31-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
..new amp that can be drive by my ARC Ref40...
Still think you should try the Ayre MX-R.

great amp with 2 megaOhm input impedance; the ARC pre will thank you.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:34 PM

Ok Anatta, I will try the MX-R, or VX-R if there is chance, I like that infinity input Z too. Not quite familiar with Ayre dealer, however.

Joe, If you like XP30, I think you should bring XA160.5 or XA200.5 to try with it too. I like the XA160.5 ! But it idle so hot !

Toga
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0002_resize.jpg (74.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 08-31-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Joe, If you like XP30, I think you should bring XA160.5 or XA200.5 to try with it too. I like the XA160.5 ! But it idle so hot !

Toga
Hi TOGA,

I am seriously considering them. I want to hold out, if I can, for the new Xs-150 amps. They are getting great reports and are an improved design. I will deal with the heat on those babies.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:43 PM

Aren't these a little bit ...huge?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58dfP8MIBzQ]Pass labs - YouTube[/ame]
Old 08-31-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anatta View Post

Aren't these a little bit ...huge?
Yes! I will deal with it.

But they will look (and sound) great next to my CR-1's

Maybe I could take the stand off the TADs and put the CR-1's on top of the amps. Ha!
Old 08-31-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
... Normally bridged amp will get extra horsepower, at a cost, like halved-damping factor, less low impedance drive capability, I am not sure may be my Moon W7M is a bridged W7 too. Jeff Fritz from Ultra Audio always says Moon W8 has a warm character, but I never heard that from W7M. ....
Toga
Toga, I have a W-7, and I checked with Sim on this very question. The W-7 can be bridged, but the W-7M is a different design. I was told that two 7Ms are superior over two W-7s bridged as monos. I had considered trying that to save some money as a W-7 can be purchased used/demo for app. $4,500 in the U.S. I have also read that the W-8 is a different design as well, carried over from when Victor Sima owned the company, but that it was instrumental in the design of the W-7 and W-7M.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program ...