AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 04-21-2010, 11:31 PM

AeroSmith...great pics and wonderful systems. I've always liked Audio Research, I noticed you use Kimber Select speaker cables, great cables Welcome To AA

Dave
Old 04-23-2010, 11:12 AM

Stating that this hybrid amp replaced your Ayre MXRs is impressive. I have read others state the MXRS do not have the moxy sometimes to deal with low impedence speakers.

You stated the new DS450 has a warm character,do feel the added warmness hides some details in comparison to the MXRs?
Old 04-23-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
Stating that this hybrid amp replaced your Ayre MXRs is impressive. I have read others state the MXRS do not have the moxy sometimes to deal with low impedence speakers.

You stated the new DS450 has a warm character,do feel the added warmness hides some details in comparison to the MXRs?
I think there is something to be said about the MX-R's lack of ability to drive difficult loads. The Ultima Salon 2s are four way, three crossover, six driver(3x8", 1x6.5", 1x4", 1x1"), 6 ohm speakers with a minimum impedance of 3.7 ohm. That's a lot of drivers and crossovers in a big cabinet in a big room. The MX-Rs sounded thin and hollow and they lacked entirely in low end extension, sounding very bright in the upper-mid-range.

As an aside, I just today received a new Boulder 810 for cash and my 7 year old Ayre K-1xe. We have a Boulder 1012 in the bedroom and the wife and I really appreciate it functionally and sonically. Now this may somewhat be a factor of the DS450 finally getting broken in or it may be the addition of the 810 or both. But the 810 does seem to really tighten things up in terms of control (not to mention a few other initially apparent benefits).

So yes, the DS450 has a warm and rich timbral sound. But with a pre-amp like the 810 it is very precise in its shaping of notes. Kick drums, for example, are full and lush. And yet I can hear very precisely the attack and decay of each note. And what's cooler still is that the timing of the attack and delay truly sounds natural, not rushed and not drawn out in a bloated fashion. The cup is full to the brim but not over-flowing. The MX-Rs left my cup, in this case the Ultima Salon 2s, half full. Further, as a listener to strings and horns in particular I get more of the sense that the DS450 is in fact exploring the micro edges of every note in a very precise fashion. In this sense timber, I think, reflects greater accuracy.

Finally, I hear more "air" with the ARC than I did with the Ayres. The ARC's soundstage, while comparable in width, projects farther in front of and farther behind the plane of the speaker drivers. This yields a very satisfying 3D sound -dare I say it?- a sound that's just a bit tubelike.

All I have to say is, thank goodness! I finally found something to properly drive my Revels. Two years is too long to get thin sound from $20,000 speakers.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:20 PM

Default Advice from the ARC forum

I am in the process of upgrading my HT room. The room is 25x27x10 and has heavy carpet over cement pad. I have already made the change to replace my Thiel 7.2/Levinson 335 front speaker amp combo with the Sasha/ARC Ref 150 and am slowly going through the burn-in process to eventually get the Sashas spiked. [ I moved the Thiel Smart Sub up to my family room which has all Classe for causal HT and parties (SSP-800, 502, 2200 and 2300) with Thiel powerpoints making up the remainder of the 5.1 system.]

The sub duty in the HT room will now be handled by two JL 212s (I have one in now...and am thinking of adding a second in slave mode for symmetry and additonal low end impact for movies.)

I will listen to both 2 channel and HT in this room. I have high hopes for the Sasha and Ref 150 with respect to 2 channel...based on exhaustive listening sessions at my dealer. The question is how far should I go on upgrading the HT. The subs will be for movies only...I do have a input on the processor which brings the subs in for 2 channel...but since I run the Sashas full range...I believe the current settings make the 60-80Hz region too pronounced...this is basically because I have not used the JL settings at all and the processor feeds the LFE channel the same signal as the fronts...work to do here to get right but to be honest very happy with Sasha on their own for now.

The center and Surrounds in this room are currently Thiel Powerpoints(all mounted on ceiling) driven by a Proceed HPA3...my thought is to go with the new Wilson Center 3...mounted upside down on the ceiling where the center Powerpoint is now. I would keep the surrounds as is. Then replace the HPA3 entirely and use a ARC450M for the center and and ARC225 for the surrounds.

The rest of my system is:

video - Runco PL-61cx plasma for kids watching TV and Runco 1000d projector for movies. Stewart 108" screen drops in front of the plasma for this.

Audio - Classe CT-SSP for processor, Levinson 390S for CD (analog bypass), Naim HDX (digital out into processor and primary source for 2CH), Denon 5910 universal disc player, Vudu XL, HD cable box, Apple TV. Ipad controls the HDX and is super slick

Has anyone used the ARC gear in a similar setup...or has anyone heard a Watch Center hung upside down from 10 feet. I know I would need to have a bracket built with a slight angle to make it work...a local highend car stereo shop can do it for me. Thoughts?

I would post pics of system as is but not allowed to...

I know, I know I can fix this with a simple payment.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enatai252 View Post

I would post pics of system as is but not allowed to...

I know, I know I can fix this with a simple payment.
Well, looking at your list of gear, I believe that you won't have to go to your bank to ask for a new credit in order to pay your subscription !
Old 07-19-2011, 09:54 AM

It is a great site...just visiting over last few days...but considering moving here permanently
Old 07-19-2011, 12:15 PM

enatai252...welcome to AA and great set-ups. I am not a HT buff so can't help you on that front but looking forward to your posts and following your 2-channel system evolution.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by enatai252 View Post
It is a great site...just visiting over last few days...but considering moving here permanently
enatai252.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado.

Join us as a subscriber and gain all the privileges. The benefits far outweigh the modest annual fee. This great forum is worth supporting.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A