AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 04-06-2014, 02:49 PM

I can attest to the ref75 driving Sasha's with no problem. Plenty of headroom. I imagine the Alexia would be fine as well, I think they have similar loads and sensitivity.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I can attest to the ref75 driving Sasha's with no problem. Plenty of headroom. I imagine the Alexia would be fine as well, I think they have similar loads and sensitivity.
I am sure it would work well with the Alexia. One problem with the REF75 is (like with me) getting people to try it as a replacement for it's bigger brothers. Few (including me) are willing to believe it is as good as I have found it to be. If you take a look at the Nola Concert Grands and look at the size of the subs built into the speaker it is amazing feat that this "little" amp not only drives these huge subs but maintains amazing balance, transparency and detail at the same time.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:30 PM

As a new AA member and new to Audio Research I found this thread very interesting. I initially was looking in the budget of the LS27 and Ref 75. I was convinced after listening to the ref5se that I should just take a bigger bite and get the ref5se and the ref150. I cannot fathom how much better the ref10 could be. But I simply can't go that high in the chain! I do enjoy hearing about the comparisons between components though, so thanks for some great insight while I save for and daydream about my future audio purchase. Pete
Old 04-15-2014, 11:43 PM

There is little doubt that the Ref5se and Ref 150 combo is the value spot in the ARC reference line (assuming you are a little concerned about the 75 wpc of the Ref 75). The Ref 10 is better than the Ref 5se and by a margin that you can discern, but the margin of improvement might be in the range of 15 to 20 per cent overall for twice the cost.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 04-17-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgr4blu View Post
There is little doubt that the Ref5se and Ref 150 combo is the value spot in the ARC reference line (assuming you are a little concerned about the 75 wpc of the Ref 75). The Ref 10 is better than the Ref 5se and by a margin that you can discern, but the margin of improvement might be in the range of 15 to 20 per cent overall for twice the cost.
Having been through the multiple iterations of ARC, assuming your speakers can be optimally driven by the REF75 (few can't), IMHO, the best bang for the buck is the REF10/REF75 combo, better than a REF5SE/REF250 or REF5SE/REF150
Old 04-17-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priaptor View Post
Having been through the multiple iterations of ARC, assuming your speakers can be optimally driven by the REF75 (few can't), IMHO, the best bang for the buck is the REF10/REF75 combo, better than a REF5SE/REF250 or REF5SE/REF150
I think it's funny to say Ref10 has "bang for the buck".

If it's truly about bang for the buck, I think the Ref5 and Ref75 are the sweet spot, but even those components are out of reach for many people, unfortunately. Maybe the SP20 and Ref75 are better candidates. Depends on if you want more bang or more buck
Old 04-17-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priaptor View Post
+1

*The use of better preamp there should yield significant sound improvements.

Last edited by bvdiman; 04-17-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I think it's funny to say Ref10 has "bang for the buck". If it's truly about bang for the buck, I think the Ref5 and Ref75 are the sweet spot, but even those components are out of reach for many people, unfortunately. Maybe the SP20 and Ref75 are better candidates. Depends on if you want more bang or more buck
Hell, bang for buck, a used Ref3, Ref110 ought to provide enough musical truth for just about any of us. The rest is the search for the holy grail :-)
Old 04-17-2014, 04:04 PM

Bang for buck, a used Ref3/Ref110 ought to provide enough musical truth for any of us. The rest is just the search for the holy grail! That said, then Ref10/75 is, I think, what I will "settle in" with :-)

Oops, sorry for the dup post!
Old 04-17-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobvin View Post
Bang for buck, a used Ref3/Ref110 ought to provide enough musical truth for any of us. The rest is just the search for the holy grail! That said, then Ref10/75 is, I think, what I will "settle in" with :-)

Oops, sorry for the dup post!
Look forward to your possessing them and sharing the Gospel!

Are you planning on Alexia? If so, hopefully room is not too big, nor you like to frequently listen at/near concert levels.
We tried in medium/larger sized rooms with bass demanding materials - Ref150 barely cuts it, clipping on some passages. In this respect, the Ref250 clearly outshone them.