AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 02-20-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulInWA View Post
I have a Fire-Bottle Universal SET amp. Just for yucks I was considering using a solid state rectifier with it https://tubedepot.com/products/solid-state-rectifier Does anybody know the pros and cons of this? The description says it is a replacement for 5AR4 / GZ34, 5Y3, 5U4G / 5U4GB, 5R4 / 5V4 / 5Z4 but then goes on to say "this replacement will increase overall B+ (plate voltage) by 10-20%." I don't understand what the ramifications of that would be. I was thinking about using it with the Tung-Sol 7581A or maybe KT150 or KT170 tubes.
Those tubes could probably handle an extra little bit of B+ but I'd be more worried about overloading the power transformer.
Old 02-20-2022, 03:13 PM

Default Last week at the Toy Shop....

Went over to the shop last Weds with some parts for my next amp build, and my 2A3 amp. House is full of goodies, amps as far as the eye can see....

Untitled by analog addict, on Flickr

My 2A3 with a brand new 5670 to 6DJ8 conversion, a classic Fire Bottle KT 88, and a brand new purpose built KT-170 amp...

Dennis says this KT-170 amp will be capable of 15WPC...

The new 300B amp with upgraded power supply and some other improvements...

A Blue Racer awaiting its production power transformer...

Straitwire's new phono pre, featuring a separate power supply...

And my pile o parts which will eventually be an 8417 amp similar to the Blue Racer...

Dennis hung on to my 2A3 amp. He seemed to like the sound, and it had honestly been a couple of years since I fired it up, and we were both surprised how good it sounded. I think there will be at least one Inspire 2A3 arriving on the scene, and if anyone is looking for one, the time to ask is now....myself, I'm toying with the idea of a 2A3 PSE design.....
Old 02-20-2022, 06:10 PM

Aren’t 8417 tubes just about impossible to find?

I see that 6v6 amp in red is still there. Wonder if her’d sell it at a good price…
Old 02-20-2022, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacc7 View Post
Those tubes could probably handle an extra little bit of B+ but I'd be more worried about overloading the power transformer.
Would an overloaded power transformer show up as it getting abnormally hot?
Old 02-20-2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Aren’t 8417 tubes just about impossible to find?

I see that 6v6 amp in red is still there. Wonder if her’d sell it at a good price…
Well, I have a couple dozen or so that I stashed in case I ever rebuilt my pair of Dynaco Mk VIs.

And if you're interested in a particular amp, send Dennis a message via EBay....
Old 02-21-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
Well, I have a couple dozen or so that I stashed in case I ever rebuilt my pair of Dynaco Mk VIs.

And if you're interested in a particular amp, send Dennis a message via EBay....
If I had several dozen tubes like that I'd be very tempted to sell them and put the money into more audio toys lol.

I worry about running afoul of Ebay's rules about off ebay sales. I'll try emailing Dennis directly.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:39 PM

Dennis must be running the KT170 tubes in his upcoming amp rather gently to get 15 wpc. I assume in SEP mode?

My Inspire KT88 was rated at 17 wpc by Dennis. I assume in SEU mode.

The Tektron (Italy - not the speaker company) PSE KT170 amp produces 45 wpc. It has some big iron to handle that, weighing at 77 pounds.
https://www.tektron-italia.com/en/pr...two-kt170-pse/
Old 02-21-2022, 10:56 PM

Quote:
If I had several dozen tubes like that I'd be very tempted to sell them and put the money into more audio toys lol.
Those tubes are like money in the bank, and their value just goes up. I have plenty of other tubes that I can sell as well that are more common than 8417s.

Besides, what do I need money for?

I decide what I want to try next, work with Dennis on a design/schematic, work with Straitwire on the chassis/layout, then build it myself and take it over to the Toy Shop for testing and final tuning. OK it might cost me a little for a few parts not in my inventory, but that's no biggie.

Come to think about it, when I pulled out a few ANOS 2A3s out of my stash, I noticed that I had over a dozen of those as well. That's what started me thinking about that PSE 2A3 build....
Old 02-21-2022, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
Those tubes are like money in the bank, and their value just goes up. I have plenty of other tubes that I can sell as well that are more common than 8417s.

Besides, what do I need money for?

I decide what I want to try next, work with Dennis on a design/schematic, work with Straitwire on the chassis/layout, then build it myself and take it over to the Toy Shop for testing and final tuning. OK it might cost me a little for a few parts not in my inventory, but that's no biggie.

Come to think about it, when I pulled out a few ANOS 2A3s out of my stash, I noticed that I had over a dozen of those as well. That's what started me thinking about that PSE 2A3 build....
Woo.... I have a ton of really useful tubes for audio. I thought I was going to get into DIY and so went crazy buying all sorts of tubes with weird bases, voltages, etc. Now I wish I had put the money into more regular tubes. There's a bunch that I would like to try that were cheaper/availible 15 years ago. Sigh...
Old 02-25-2022, 07:47 PM

I was revisiting these picts and saw my KT/Universal amp (pearl white) there on the floor. I miss that amp! I need to get back there to pick that up.