AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 11-04-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSem View Post
What is the collected wisdom on the power cords that come stock with the Inspire Amps. I have been reading a lot about the need for good quality power cords in these types of amps. Even folks who are generally skeptical about the value of cables once you reach a good quality plateau, seem to think that power cords matter for tube amps. Has anyone done any comparisons between the stock cord and any of the upgraded ones that are available?
I'm of the mind that, once you get above a basic quality level, you won't likely be able to tell the difference. I bought Pangea cords when I could get a good deal on them. Mostly for the peace of mind and appearance. They typically cost me $40-$60 each.

And, unless you are running a good power conditioner, you would be feeding an expensive power cord with power that came though basic house wiring anyway. I don't think any power cord can make the A/C signal better than what it is fed.

My .02.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSem View Post
What is the collected wisdom on the power cords that come stock with the Inspire Amps. I have been reading a lot about the need for good quality power cords in these types of amps. Even folks who are generally skeptical about the value of cables once you reach a good quality plateau, seem to think that power cords matter for tube amps. Has anyone done any comparisons between the stock cord and any of the upgraded ones that are available?
I tried all my shunyata cords with them. Venom 3, venom 3s, snake bite and diamond back.
The diamond back sounded the best, I actually preferred the simple black cords provided by dennis over the venoms. Marginal gains to be had from my experience.
I found the pair of diamond backs used for $50 cnd each. Pangea use cardas copper and are cheap enough to try out as well. I Dont really recommend the venoms though.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:10 PM

Thanks guys. I like Pangea as well. I picked up a nice batch of interconnects at a yard sale a couple of months ago. I didn't know what they were. But they looked cool and well made. I subsequently realized what they were when researching power cords more generally.
2 Channel - Inspire Amp; Dared Pre; Carver "The Receiver" for tuner and switching; Thorens 125 turnable; Angle Audio PS internal battery; Shure SME 3009 tonearm; Bang & Olufsen MC20CL cartridge; Roku; Sony Bravia TV; Polk Audio SDA-2
Theater - Onkyo AVR, Orb Speakers, MAC music server, Monarchy Audio NM24 DAC [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-06-2015, 08:16 PM

I found that power cords make a bigger difference on digital sources. I use Harmonic Technology AC11 cords that I've had for years on my amp and pre.

Interconnects do make a big difference and finding the right ones is a personal thing. I got a couple of pairs of Impact IC's from Audio Sensibility. Simple single crystal copper with good RCA's. Very nice if copper is your thing. *I* never liked silver or silver plated copper...especially with digital. YMMV.

IMHO, there is no direct correlation between high price and sonics.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:37 PM

still waiting to pick up my new speakers and fire up the inspire set. Random question, my set has pretty crooked and uneven rca jacks, is that typical for these? And dumb question but which order does it go from linestage input vs output to the amp?
Old 11-16-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismelllikepoop View Post
still waiting to pick up my new speakers and fire up the inspire set. Random question, my set has pretty crooked and uneven rca jacks, is that typical for these? And dumb question but which order does it go from linestage input vs output to the amp?
I would say no. A photo would be helpful though. Have you looked through the thread or ebay listings for photos of the rear of some of his amps? He is generally pretty meticulous.

And, I just happen to have a pic of the back of my LP-2 with jacks labeled...........

Last edited by pstrisik; 11-16-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:16 PM

Thanks for the photo, here's a photo of mine. Almost tempted to get an lp2 made in matching almond since it kinda irks me. Here's a photo of the amp I got as well, anyone know what the tube-rolling options for this guy?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg inspire9.jpg (80.4 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg inspire.jpg (87.8 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by jdandy; 11-16-2015 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Enlarge photos
Old 11-16-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismelllikepoop View Post
Thanks for the photo, here's a photo of mine. Almost tempted to get an lp2 made in matching almond since it kinda irks me. Here's a photo of the amp I got as well, anyone know what the tube-rolling options for this guy?
Not as bad as I imagined when you first described it. I can see how it could bother me though, particularly if I wanted it for the long haul. Going for an LP2 would also give you the updated model. I don't know what Dennis changed going from the one to the two though.

On the other hand, the RCAs are on the back and they aren't that out of whack. You would know it was there but wouldn't see it at all unless you were looking.

Most likely the sound will be stellar either way!

As far as your amp, it's EL84 based? I'm not familiar with that tube and suspect our amps are fairly different, so can't help much there. Anyone else have one of the EL84 based Inspires?
Old 11-17-2015, 12:28 PM

Default Thanks!

Hello Everyone,
I'm new here and have not yet made a proper introduction over in Personal Introductions but I wanted to say a quick thanks.

Recently I started exploring the idea of a SET tube amp and ran across you folks and the discussion of Dennis Had's most recent work. After a week of diving in I recently picked up one of this Fire-Bottle KT-88 amps from eBay. In a word, amazing.

I'm still working my way through all 111 pages of this thread and learning a ton. Thanks for all the great information.

-Scott
Old 11-17-2015, 06:56 PM
Merry Christmas to all

jscottyk.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A