AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 04-20-2016, 09:47 AM

Love to hear your thoughts. How do they compare with the old PL300's?
Home Theater: Sonos->MCD1100,Oppo 105D,Cary 306/200,MVP-871->SP3->C500T->MC501x3+MC402x2+MC252->PL300+F113x2+PL350+4xPL InWall+PL100,PL100 in games room,VPL-VW500ES, Shunyata Sigma HCx3, Shunyata Analogx2, Alpha HCx2, Alpha Digital, Wire World Silver Electra x8
Great Room: BDP-09FD,Sonos->MCD500->MX119->MC501x3+2xMA700s->PL200+PLC150+GRFX+F112,PRO-141FD
Kid's Room: Sonos,Oppo 95->MX119->HCA1200mkii+4xMA700s->GR20s+FB210+GRLCR+2xGRFX,PRO-101FD
Home Gym: Sonos->Oppo 105->MC252->GR10s+FB210,TC-P55ST60
Office at work: Cary 306/200, Michell Gyro SE w/TechnoArm+Meastro Wood->6900->GR10s+SB12-Plus
Cottage: iPod,Oppo 95->Marantz SR7009->PSB Silver+ GRLCR+Silver FXi, MA700+PSB Mini in sunroom

Last edited by Chad.Wagner; 04-20-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad.Wagner View Post
Love to hear your thoughts. How do they compare with the old PL300's?
I honestly can't say, never owned or listened to the old PL300s with my equipment. I went from Aerial 7Ts to the PL500s.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:33 AM

Congrats! Would you kindly share your impressions on how they compare in your system to the Aerial 7T speakers? TIA!
Old 04-20-2016, 11:54 AM

My buddy was at a meeting with some Monitor Audio people yesterday. They said they already have orders for one hundred pair of PL500's.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
Congrats! Would you kindly share your impressions on how they compare in your system to the Aerial 7T speakers? TIA!
I've owned Revel F52,Revel F208, Audio Physics, Wilson Audio Sophia 2s, 3s, and Sashas.

My initial thoughts: this is the first "full range" speakers that I've ever owned. Instruments are properly sized and singers sound like they are standing in front of me. Air, air, and more air. In comparison, the 7Ts sound a little bright/forward. The PL500s are at a totally different level and should be considering their cost. My friend has a pair of Raidho C3.1 and I submit the PL500s have a similar sound, but much better bass and dynamics.

Last edited by Ricjor1; 04-20-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:25 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
I've owned Revel F52,Revel F208, Audio Physics, Wilson Audio Sophia 2s, 3s, and Sashas.

My initial thoughts: this is the first "full range" speakers that I've ever owned. Instruments are properly sized and singers sound like they are standing in front of me. Air, air, and more air. In comparison, the 7Ts sound a little bright/forward. The PL500s are at a totally different level and should be considering their cost. My friend has a pair of Raidho C3.1 and I submit the PL500s have a similar sound, but much better bass and dynamics.
Wow!
That is quite something.
Then they are definitely better than the old series.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 04-20-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Wow!
That is quite something.
Then they are definitely better than the old series.
I submit most manufacturers' change their sound over the years based on trends and new technology...Magico, Wilson, and KEF just to name a few. In addition, everyone has different preferences and Monitor Audio may not be your cup of tea.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:34 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
I submit most manufacturers' change their sound over the years based on trends and new technology...Magico, Wilson, and KEF just to name a few. In addition, everyone has different preferences and Monitor Audio may not be your cup of tea.
Ricjor, I was very close to buying a 5.1 system based on the PL 300s back in 2010.
So I did love them.
Price for a pair of PL 300s was around 7K here at that time.
Wilson Audio is much more expensive in Europe, they were better but really in another price league.
So if you say the PL 500s are better than the Sasha, that really means something.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 04-20-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I've owned Revel F52,Revel F208, Audio Physics, Wilson Audio Sophia 2s, 3s, and Sashas. My initial thoughts: this is the first "full range" speakers that I've ever owned. Instruments are properly sized and singers sound like they are standing in front of me. Air, air, and more air. In comparison, the 7Ts sound a little bright/forward. The PL500s are at a totally different level and should be considering their cost. My friend has a pair of Raidho C3.1 and I submit the PL500s have a similar sound, but much better bass and dynamics.
Ricjor1,

I heard the PL500 II's at Axpona last week Friday. They played a song by a female jazz singer. They sounded rather boomy, like someone turned up the bass control - a very unimpressive demo really. I quickly formed an opinion and before I could say anything to my friend, he made a face and said "I don't like the bass".

As we walked out, they put on another song, this time 'Closer' by NIN (Nine Inch Nails). As soon as I heard the intro, I charged back into the now empty room (I suspect that's why they took the opportunity to play Closer. ) and gave them another listen. Holy crap! The boom was gone and they sounded very clean with very controlled bass this time. I wish I could have given them a little more listening time, but what a difference a song makes. I think I'd be really happy with a pair!

image-367340942.jpg

(Pic stolen from markol)

Last edited by jdandy; 04-20-2016 at 08:06 PM. Reason: enlarge photo
Old 04-20-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
Ricjor1,

I heard the PL500 II's at Axpona last week Friday. They played a song by a female jazz singer. They sounded rather boomy, like someone turned up the bass control - a very unimpressive demo really. I quickly formed an opinion and before I could say anything to my friend, he made a face and said "I don't like the bass".

As we walked out, they put on another song, this time 'Closer' by NIN (Nine Inch Nails). As soon as I heard the intro, I charged back into the now empty room (I suspect that's why they took the opportunity to play Closer. ) and gave them another listen. Holy crap! The boom was gone and they sounded very clean with very controlled bass this time. I wish I could have given them a little more listening time, but what a difference a song makes. I think I'd be really happy with a pair!

Attachment 45245

(Pic stolen from markol)
I'll preface my comments with, "no absolutes in Audio and speakers can be a reflection of the system(including the room) they are heard in." In addition, very good systems can have too much bass on one song and sound anemic on another song...it depends on the recording.

So far, I don't find them boomy at all. I do have them about 5' from the front wall. I will start to play with placement in the next couple of days. To say I'm happy/satisfied would be an understatement!