AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:29 PM
Greetings from NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles View Post
So the Apple Airport Extreme is needed because the N100C has no WiFi capability, is that correct?
Correct, the N100C does not have wifi but with the AirPort Extreme I receive the signal from the office through wifi and then I use one of the ports on the back of the AirPort Extreme to connect by ethernet to the N100C. I set the AirPort Extreme to bridge mode and use wireless AC which is plenty fast. It is similar to a wired connection at the speeds I obtain. I tried this before running cable and found the performance more than sufficient to not have to call the electrician to run cable. My iPad speed is 93.7 Mbps and checking the N100C speed with my wifi set up I am getting 25 to 28 Mbytes/sec.
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack

Last edited by jameslrock; 03-14-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles View Post
Forgive my ignorance but if I get/have Tidal what would I need Roon for? Would it be considered a "extra", is it adding anything other that metadata and helping you choose music?
Why Roon?
Roon has a very powerful way of managing your entire library. With Roon you can "add" a Tidal album to your library. Once you do that, Roon will treat the added album as if you "own" that album and you can use all of Roon's powerful database management capabilities.

You want to easily find all your Led Zeppelin collection that is high-resolution? Or find all the music in your library by a certain composer? Or list all the tracks produced by Rudy Van Gelder that are not mp3 files? Roon will do all those things very easy.

And if one day you decide to add a NAS or a hard drive to store your own digital music, Roon can index it and will give you access to your entire collection (the Tidal library plus whatever music you have in your drives) in a unified way.

Also, Roon's graphical user interface is much better than Tidal's. So much so that it is MUCH easier and FASTER to find music from Tidal using Roon instead!

One more thing: Roon allows you to play to multiple Roon devices. You can group players together so you can be playing the exact music in different devices or rooms at the same time.

Oh, and of course the metadata.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwc View Post
If I could please join in with my ignorance...if you want to just stream, why not use Tidal alone? I myself am eager to stop buying physical media.
See my reply above regarding the benefits of using Roon versus Tidal alone. Incidentally, I have not bought physical media in years. No need to with millions of tracks available through streaming and high-resolution files available via downloads.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:44 PM
Greetings from NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
Why Roon?
Roon has a very powerful way of managing your entire library. With Roon you can "add" a Tidal album to your library. Once you do that, Roon will treat the added album as if you "own" that album and you can use all of Roon's powerful database management capabilities.

You want to easily find all your Led Zeppelin collection that is high-resolution? Or find all the music in your library by a certain composer? Or list all the tracks produced by Rudy Van Gelder that are not mp3 files? Roon will do all those things very easy.

And if one day you decide to add a NAS or a hard drive to store your own digital music, Roon can index it and will give you access to your entire collection (the Tidal library plus whatever music you have in your drives) in a unified way.

Also, Roon's graphical user interface is much better than Tidal's. So much so that it is MUCH easier and FASTER to find music from Tidal using Roon instead!

One more thing: Roon allows you to play to multiple Roon devices. You can group players together so you can be playing the exact music in different devices or rooms at the same time.

Oh, and of course the metadata.
The streaming capability with TIDAL in Aurender Conductor is seamless and also most of everything else that is useful in ROON and others are very similar. Check out the JDANDY threads on Aurender and Conductor. I like the ease of use of Aurender Conductor since it just works intuitively and I do not have to fiddle with it.
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack
Old 03-14-2018, 09:52 PM

Default Want to stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslrock View Post
The streaming capability with TIDAL in Aurender Conductor is seamless and also most of everything else that is useful in ROON and others are very similar. Check out the JDANDY threads on Aurender and Conductor. I like the ease of use of Aurender Conductor since it just works intuitively and I do not have to fiddle with it.

I respectfully disagree. The Conductor app does not allow you to communicate with Tidal both ways. For example, if you tag a favorite in Tidal, it is tagged automatically in Roon. The reverse is true also. In other words, Roon/Tidal communicate both ways. Conductor/Tidal do not.

Also, the ability of Roon to work with outside storage devices and to keep one single library to feed as many Roon devices as you have is unique. If you have two Aurender units for example, you have two libraries. if you make changes to one of the libraries, that change is not reflected in the other one. They are isolated and don’t talk to each other.
The Conductor app is similar to the app in the Sony HaP Player. They both work very nice, but neither is as powerful as Roon.
In fact Roon allows you add DSP to your system and can be used to better shape the sound based on your particular requirements.
As I see it, Roon is $500 component/investment that has many uses and can last you a lifetime.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:02 PM

I guess I and several others must have misread the OP's first post then as I was under the impression he wanted as simple as possible with as few pieces as possible so Roon and the required parts don't fit that request. Auralic, Aurender, Lumin, Innuos and others do fit what he asked for.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
I guess I and several others must have misread the OP's first post then as I was under the impression he wanted as simple as possible with as few pieces as possible so Roon and the required parts don't fit that request. Auralic, Aurender, Lumin, Innuos and others do fit what he asked for.

You are right. What I was suggesting was a solution that albeit cheaper and more flexible it is not what the OP indicated he wants or needs at this time. My bad. 🤭

Of the brands that you listed here, which models cost less than $2.5k and have no storage? I think that would be in line with the OP request.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:47 PM

Without a DAC the Auralic Aries. With a DAC and storage optional the Altair, Aries Mini. Without a DAC and with storage the Aurender N100h, the Innuos Zen and ZenMini. The Innous models also have a built in CD ripper so the storage is for that. With a DAC and no storage the Lumin D2. With the Lumin, Altair and Mini you can use it with or without the DAC or hook it up both ways.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
Without a DAC the Auralic Aries. With a DAC and storage optional the Altair, Aries Mini. Without a DAC and with storage the Aurender N100h, the Innuos Zen and ZenMini. The Innous models also have a built in CD ripper so the storage is for that. With a DAC and no storage the Lumin D2. With the Lumin, Altair and Mini you can use it with or without the DAC or hook it up both ways.

Do all of these choices cost less than $2.5k? Remember the OP said no storage so you can leave those out.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:06 PM

I have a Sim Audio Moon 280D with the MiND Streamer built in and if you're looking for an all-in-one box solution it's the way to go.

The 280D is an awesome DAC does all the standard PMC plus DSD. The MiND works via Wi-Fi as well as Ethernet. It works beautifully with Tidal and has support for others. Only thing it doesn't do is MQA, but I added a BlueSound Node 2 that feeds the 280D via Coax and I get MQA first level unfolding. But in all honesty 99% of the time I just use the MiND Streamer.

MiND app works on Apple and Android products.

I'd recommend finding a Sim Audio dealer near you and checking one out.