Pider
What cables are you using?
What is your opinion on pricey cables?

140's....NICE!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemeanies View Post
I purchased the 110's from an ad on Audiogon. The name of the outfit was Dedicated Audio a family own business which I have to say they were very attentive and answered all of my questions. I purchased the whole package stands and speakers.
The Bryston BDA1 came from Hi-Fi House.
I personally like that place. When I went in there looking for a DAC I was speaking to Anthony and we engaged in a conversation about speakers namely Dynaudio. As you know they do not carry that brand. .Anthony mentioned what great speakers they are and ask me what kind I had purchased. He again responded how well made Dynaudio products are made and how Bryston will add to the experience if I choose the BDA1.
That's what I like about that place they do not bad mouth what you already have and try to sell you their products. They listen to what you want. If your are just looking then they leave it at that...your looking. If you have questions they answer them and most important if they do not know the answer they say so.

Jack what kind of cables are you using?
In your opinion do your think these high price cables make a difference?

I want this 2channel system to be all that it can be but I dont want to spend ridiculous amounts for overpriced cables. I am not sure if I believe in the idea that spending $500-$1000.00 for 1 meter of cable is indeed a truth in electronics or an illusion. Don't get me wrong I am not connecting lamp cord to my B&W's. As a matter of fact I am using MIT cable that I purchased from a friend of mine years ago. He paid $600.00 for them. LCR channels and I picked them up for $200.00.
I been thinking of investing in cables from Morrow Audio. Right now I am using a pair of Monoprice Premium Audio Cables.
Hey Frank, I was trying different cables to see what I liked. I wound up using MIT AVt 1 speaker cables. Moon Audio Silver Dragon interconnects. Audioquest Digital Cable. Voodoo AC power cable and an Audioquest AC power cable.
Sources..........Music Hall MMF 9.3 Walnut w/ Goldring
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Phono Pre...…..Sutherland Insight

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Record Cleaning Machine...….Okki Nokki
DAC................Bryston BDA-3
Headphones.....Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX /
Sennheiser HD-660S
Headphone Amp.....Bryston BHA-1
Cables....Amp to preamp - Morrow MA4
Preamp to DAC - Morrow MA4
Preamp to Headphone Amp - Morrow MA2
Old 05-09-2013, 06:56 AM

Thanks Jack for getting back!
I have been running these speakers continuously except for Monday. There break-in should be finish today then I will make some adjustments.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:51 PM

Default Update on new Dyn's

Just purchased a pair of Morrow MA1 cables and two coaxial cables from 8Audio. Can't wait to make another connection.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:20 AM
Learning to Listen

Quote:
Pider
What cables are you using?
What is your opinion on pricey cables?

140's....NICE!
As guys can tell you here, I'm more interested in spending the dough re me on my plane, and thus doing everything in my power to get as much as possible in musical value by searching high and low for the best for least.

What did I just say?

Anyway, I believe cables to be important, but I've not done much about them thus far. Ivan took care of me with a WW USB. I bought a Shunyata PC from someone else on AA for my new Schiit Bifrost, although I'm waiting to add that after it has broken in. My speaker cables are left overs from when my ex got a system installed by a local dealer, but eventually I'll ask Ivan to set me up in that department, too. I bought the banana plugs from a local dealer here for $5 each. My RCA IC's from my DAC to my integrated are Emeralds.

What's important to me is upgrading a little at a time. I'm into the hobby for the music, primarily, but also for the fun of just playing around, trying to get the best for least. I built my own music server, for example, out of old computer parts laying around. But when it comes to some things, I'll spend the money, such as the new Synology NAS that I just installed to hold the music and all other important files. Cables are down on my list right now, but eventually they too will be upgraded.

I'm interested in what you find out. I am gritting my teeth on some music, so speaker cables that smooth things out might be in order. Before that though, I THINK I need a better integrated. Or, maybe better speakers. Or, was it..........

Old 05-14-2013, 02:21 PM

It's prioritie. Everyone has them but we all have our own list of what's important. My nephews' priority are guns. Anything connected to guns and at the right price. His last priority is his audio system but yet when he comes over to my house he compares his system to mine and wonders why my B&W's sound so much better to his off brand speakers.
I can't wait until he comes over to listen to my Dyn's. At this point I am using the 110's strictly for music and my B&W 804S speakers for HT.
I agree with you with taking time to upgrade. A little bit at a time. My next addition will be a three channel 300watt per channel amp for my 804's. However this addition won't happen for some time.

I do not expect to see these cables for anther two weeks since they are hand made one cable at a time. Then breaking them in, another week, a chore I will also enjoy.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:01 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Pider, you have a great "audio philosophy," which will allow you to assemble a fabulous system for a fraction of the cost of "bleeding edge" gear. You can buy used gear that is a version or two back from the SOTA for a fraction of the new price. And if you are technically adept you can buy (and restore) vintage gear at prices that are a steal. It takes patience, but you obviously already have that.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:53 PM

Default Update on Dyn's

The dealer and I spoke about how many hours it should take to breaking the Dyn Focus110A's but I read an article on the Internet after I GOOGLED Dynaudio Focus110A speaker and one article written said 2-250 is more like it. We all know what they say about believing everything you read on the Internet. Bonjour.
I had my 110 running constantly for about 100- 120 hrs all settings set to flat. Today I left the High Pass set to Flat and the level set to +4 and levels of EQ left to 0.
Wow what a difference and I differently thing these Dyn's are broken in but if not who cares because they sound awesome!
I am glad I made the choice I did and I believe I will be experiencing musical bliss for some time.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:11 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
The dealer and I spoke about how many hours it should take to breaking the Dyn Focus110A's but I read an article on the Internet after I GOOGLED Dynaudio Focus110A speaker and one article written said 2-250 is more like it. We all know what they say about believing everything you read on the Internet. Bonjour.
I had my 110 running constantly for about 100- 120 hrs all settings set to flat. Today I left the High Pass set to Flat and the level set to +4 and levels of EQ left to 0.
Wow what a difference and I differently thing these Dyn's are broken in but if not who cares because they sound awesome!
I am glad I made the choice I did and I believe I will be experiencing musical bliss for some time.
Dyns take a long time to break in. I replaced the tweeters in my Contour S3.4s last November. I thought they were broken in now, but they are still changing (for the better) and that's after about 400 hours.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:48 AM

Well I guess I have awhile. But, I do notice a difference in sound on my 110's after some 120 hours. I did make some adjustments on the High Pass but that was it and if things continually get better I am not going to complain.
400 hours I am better than halfway there.